What makes a good car gun?

This is a discussion on What makes a good car gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I know some would never leave their handgun in the car so I understand why. I have to either take no gun or leave ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good car gun?

What makes a good car gun?

Ok, I know some would never leave their handgun in the car so I understand why. I have to either take no gun or leave a gun in the car at times, so I have just installed a Gun Vault 300 it is a small one gun combination safe that cable locks to the seat frame of the passenger seat and store neatly out of sight under the seat.

Question is what is your idea of a car gun and why?

I have a Glock 19, Kahr PM9 and S&W 642. I would not leave the Kahr in the car, because of its high price tag. I would even purchase another gun if that makes sense over my two other currently owned guns.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    glock 19 but keep it locked up!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    A dependable police trade in that I didn't have a ton of $ invested in.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

if i had to leave it in the car i would leave the least exspensive one.

With the Glock, how often do you change out the magazines in a situation of car storage?

If it were strictly for the car..... I would get me a .357 EAA or Rossi revolver that I didn't have to pay much for and have it in there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    If it were strictly for the car..... I would get me a .357 EAA or Rossi revolver that I didn't have to pay much for and have it in there.
    This.

I think part of what makes a good car gun is that it needs a history of reliability, and preferably has no sentimental value for you, and isn't too expensive.

Also, I think that part of the advantage is that you can have something in your car that is more difficult for you to conceal than your EDC. So a full sized revolver in .357 would be a good choice, or a full sized pistol, preferably with larger magazines than normal. (So in your 19, it would be using 17 magazines). You kind of eliminate that with using the car vault (not saying it isn't a good idea to keep it locked up, just making an observation.)
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

How many car thieves would look under the seat for valuables? I'm just sayin'...
    If you have to keep the gun in the car at times, I would leave the revolver (of your choices) in a CoM safe, and hidden in the car.
    Out of sight and out of mind...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A good car gun to me is. A gun that will fire when you pull the trigger.A big enough caliber. A small price tag. My car gun is a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I never got the reason to have a handgun as a "car gun". Seems kind of fruitless to me. Just have whatever your carrying that day be your "car gun".
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Try to find a 3" K Frame Smith or a Ruger Service-Six in the used gun market. These in 38 and or 357 would make an outstanding "car gun" that shouldn't set you back a fortune. They always "go bang" too, God forbid you need them. Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I never got the reason to have a handgun as a "car gun". Seems kind of fruitless to me. Just have whatever your carrying that day be your "car gun".
    Kinda my thoughts also. My wife's employer does not allow weapons, but she can leave it in the car. I have a combo safe cabled under the seat, she opens it up, puts her EDC in and goes to work. She gets in at the end of the day, opens the safe, and goes about carrying. Its the weapon she trains with and is familiar with. I worry that a relatively unfamiliar gun in a pressure situation could be a disadvantage.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    ^
    This.
    Why would I want to keep a gun in the car, especially if it needs to be kept "locked up"? Having a lockable case with security cable makes sense on those occasions when you must leave the EDC in the car, but a dedicated "car gun"?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

gtv
    I would go with a revolver as well. That way, you don't have to worry about changing out mags every so often. I would look at stainless guns, too, since it is much harder to control moisture in your car, as opposed to a gun safe in your house. A friend of mine bought a used (NYPD trade in) nickel-plated S&W model 10 .38 special from J&G Sales last March for about $300 that he uses as his car gun.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links