Concealing in the Summer - Page 2

Concealing in the Summer

This is a discussion on Concealing in the Summer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cammo girl I think you need two more belly buttons to accomodate those guns Guantes! OK, ...I'm a little slow in the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I think you need two more belly buttons to accomodate those guns Guantes!
    OK, ...I'm a little slow in the mornings????
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You are correct dark colors do conceal a bit better, patterns like plaid or some kind of other "busy" print will help. I don't know about stripes because I'm a big guy and stripes don't work for me lol But you should be ok with a size up T-shirt and a good belt. Also check the can't of the weapon, try to run the grip of the gun with the lines of your body.What I mean is if you are tall and lean you probably don't want the grip running paralell with your belt line especially if you are using any kind of extended mag. So maybe cant the gun forward so the grip rides up your ribs. Give it a shot. Hope it works out for ya. Be safe.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Cool

Polo's and Tommy Bahama button ups worn on the outside work well for me. I like darker colors in the polo's and prints in the button ups. I wear my regular sizes and always wear a t-shirt under the cover garment to protect my skin and the weapon from sweat here in Florida.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

Glock 23 and High Noon Public Secret holster
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I find that a revolver conceals much better IWB then a auto. I think this is due to the more organic and rounded lines of the body and handle. I can carry my SP-101 in fitted t-shirts without going up a size with no issue.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I hate wearing an untucked shirt, but during the summer and things are casual, I will wear an oversize, button-up oxford shirt (darker colored) to conceal my shoulder holster. The shirt will probably have the sleeves rolled up or have short sleeves. If I carry IWB, then untucked, over sized T shirts or golf shirts are the route to go (but I really hate the look - I think it is sloppy, but one has to make concessions!). I normally carry a 1911, but even my Beretta 92 is easily concealed these ways.

I pocket carry with a desantis nemesis. Cargo shorts work great! ...as long as you are not sprinting and having that sucker bang you repeatedly in the thigh that is... LOL

In summer I change the location of my holster from 3:00 to 6:00 so I don't print.

I am carrying a Sigma in a CBST and the gun is completely hidden at 6:00pm regardless of the t-shirt I wear. Carrying at 6:00 means I sacrifice some draw time, but I am willing to do that because the difference is negligable. The only time I print is when I bend over to far.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

I carry a G23 all year. During the 9 monthe of summer we have here in south Georgia I will wear my Glock in an MTAC with only a tee or polo over it. Sometimes an OWB leather.....but my dress dosn't change. I wear it around 3:30 to 4:30 posit and I'll have few issues concealing it. Even if I print a little most won't notice anyway.

Buckeye said it.......if you've got a good gunbelt, your good to go. I think you might be 'sweating' it just a little more than you should. Pun intended.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

All great tips, I have been thinking more gun that works with my clothes than clothes that work with my gun.

Hi Ohioan, lots of good advice to you on your thread. Everyone is spot-on with what they are saying. My body-style is a bit different than your's as I'm only 5-9 and have gotten a little "thicker" as I approach middle age. I'll add my $.02 anyway.

I've had to change my manner of dress over the past year that I've been carrying every day without fail. Just can't seem to leave home without either my micro 1911 or XD subcompat. I have a Wilderness belt also, "friequent flyer" model with the polymer insert. I find the plastic o-ring buckle feels lighter than the Instructor belt steel buckle. Being as I perspire pretty much (ok, I sweat like a pig), I have taken to wearing plain white t-shirts under every shirt I wear. It helps keep the holster from soaking up so much sweat. My holster is either a Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 with a paddle if I need to remove it often but more than likely I use a Galco Silhouette. It's a high-ride leather that hugs close to the body and has a thumb break. As active as I am I need the extra retention and also the thumb tab acts as a body shield, protecting the slide and controls from getting so sweaty. To cover the rig I wear either a Carhart button-down with straight bottom, untucked with cargo shorts or jeans or whatever. Or a polo or just a baggy t-shirt. All of which are in my next size up which is XL.

The paddle holster works well especially if I'm doing contruction work as it affords extra protection against bumps, scratches, etc. Never being one to do much clothes shopping for myself its been a switch going out and re-doing my wardrobe to fit my carry style.

IWB carry works well anytime but its just so hot in the summer months. And yes, I've had to re-do my selection of jeans, shorts and slacks.

Remember, wearing a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, its supposed to be comforting. Its not too much of a hassle most of the time but still, if you're a dedicated concealed carry advocate, its all worth it.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    I am wearing the same size shirt, I will try getting a size bigger and seeing.

For my belt I am using a Wilderness Instructors belt. I have also heard that dark colors conceal better?
    Yep,
    Darker colors or prints conceal better. You may or may not need to go up a size depending on your build and the way your shirts fit. (A little looser fit is better.)

As far as comfort goes, the Supertuck Deluxe I carry my "full size" XDM40 or My 24/7 ProC 45 in, is very comfortable against the skin. (Even in the SC heat & humidity)

Administrator
    In the Summer I usually always carry right behind the hip in this custom holster that Matt Del Fatti made for me.
    http://www.delfatti.com/index.html
    It is such a great OWB holster. I just love it.
    The gun is a full size vintage .45acp (SIG/BROWNING BDA) and it conceals amazingly well under just a Tee.
    The holster (obviously) has a very strong forward rake/cant.
    I wear dark colored oversize Cotton T-Shirts & the Del Fatti holster really pulls the firearm in close to the body and the pistol butt is straight up so it does not jut out.

This is mine:

Photo of my holster stolen from the Del Fatti photo gallery.

OKshooter, beautiful holster.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I find that a revolver conceals much better IWB then a auto. I think this is due to the more organic and rounded lines of the body and handle. I can carry my SP-101 in fitted t-shirts without going up a size with no issue.
    The SP101 really is a dream to conceal. Tshirt? No problem. Mine disappears in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Everyone's comments are spot on, exactly what I was going to say.

Two additional thoughts: I tend to go to button shirts in the summer for easier concealment.

In Ohio, you don't really have to worry about printing. Few people will actually notice and it doesn't matter if they do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links