Concealing in the Summer - Page 3

Concealing in the Summer

This is a discussion on Concealing in the Summer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by resqr9142 OKshooter, beautiful holster. Yep; You can't beat people with $$$....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealing in the Summer

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    OKshooter, beautiful holster.
    Yep; You can't beat people with $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I drop to a Glock 27 during the summer.
    I do the same.

I agree with those who go one shirt size up. Even though I'm not a big guy, I carry my off-duty Springfield 1911 in a Blade-Tech Nano IWB hoster, a spare 10rd Wilson mag and SureFire light in shorts and a t-shirt and no one knows.

+1 for the Duluth Longtail-T. I wear a wife-beater underneath, use a Crossbreed Supertuck and never feel that I am printing.
    And --- the OP is from Ohio -- just need to worry about summer for a few weeks. Those of us in FL have a much longer summer

I also carry my Glock-29 IWB in the summer by going up a size in my shorts and t-shirts. I've even carried it this on the beach and no one noticed it at all.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    +1 for the Duluth Longtail-T. I wear a wife-beater underneath, use a Crossbreed Supertuck and never feel that I am printing.
    And --- the OP is from Ohio -- just need to worry about summer for a few weeks. Those of us in FL have a much longer summer
    Very true, but you guys don't have to worry about frostbite during range trips.

I just down size from an XD45c to an XD9sc in my Comp-Tac/MTAC Minotaur and wear an undershirt. Other than that, I carry just like I do in the winter: strong side IWB at 330-4 o'clock. Have yet to have anyone notice without a hug. It helps I'm 5'11 and 190 lbs. Gives me a little something to hide it behind.
    XD45c, XD9sc, LCP

Not that I personally care for the sloppy look, but I find that I can carry any of my guns, IWB or OWB by wearing a light weight short sleeve button down shirt...one size larger than normal. This, unbuttoned and over another tee-shirt.
    I have found that the "Dickies" brand works really well. But any casual shirt works. I have gone so far as putting two small magnets with chrome caps on the bottom of the shirt on my strong side. This helps keep it down in mild wind but also helps getting it out of the way when you need to fling it back. Small brass weights sewn in would be good too. I haven't gone that far...yet.
    Sometimes, the magnets give themselves away whenever you get too close to steel. I have had them "jump" out as far as 2-3 inches and CLUNK...stick to a nearby car.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

I live in Orlando and my year round attire is jeans and a t-shirt. I conceal my 4" XD45, my 4" Security Six, and my P345 just fine and never really worry about it. Just have to be more conscious of how I bend with the XD is all. The others not so much. Actually if I'm not feeling lazy I'll usually have one of those 3 on my hip with reloads plus my LCR/p238 in my pocket with reloads. You can conceal pretty much anything with a t-shirt it's all about how you go about doing it.

One or two sizes bigger on the shirt depending on your personal preference and a good belt and holster and you're good to go.

My personal style isn't of large polos and button ups. I like somewhat more "fitted" clothing, for a neater look. That's me, but it does make carry more of a challenge. I find it helps sometimes to have your undershirt (if you wear one) drape over the gun as well. It does help to size up your pants to include your holster and pistol, and it should not look too conspicuous, the way an upsized shirt is conspicuous.

Sometimes, a bit of printing is actually not that big of a deal. It took me a while to realize that, but nowadays, even if I'm printing a bit, I do not care. No one notices. The only person who would is one of us, and in that case, it isn't such a problem, eh? I'm sure most people would just assume it is a cellphone or loose belt or something... if they even notice. I try to avoid attention in my daily activities.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I would recommend a single stack sub-compact 9mm such as the new up Sig p290 or the Ruger LC9. They both have small thin handles. I currently have the Sig P239 and carry it during the summer with no problem under T shirts. I noticed that the color and pattern of the T shirt makes a big difference with printing. These 2 pistols are so small that either one could fit in your pocket with no problem.

I agree with paul34 that only people that carry would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    In the Summer I usually always carry right behind the hip in this custom holster that Matt Del Fatti made for me.
    http://www.delfatti.com/index.html
    It is such a great OWB holster. I just love it.
    The gun is a full size vintage .45acp (SIG/BROWNING BDA) and it conceals amazingly well under just a Tee.
    The holster (obviously) has a very strong forward rake/cant.
    I wear dark colored oversize Cotton T-Shirts & the Del Fatti holster really pulls the firearm in close to the body and the pistol butt is straight up so it does not jut out.

This is mine:

Photo of my holster stolen from the Del Fatti photo gallery.

Nice rig!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links