Concealing in the Summer

This is a discussion on Concealing in the Summer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had a G19, and now a XDm Compact (in a Supertuck). I am wondering how people feel comfortable concealing with just a T-Shirt. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealing in the Summer

Concealing in the Summer

So I had a G19, and now a XDm Compact (in a Supertuck). I am wondering how people feel comfortable concealing with just a T-Shirt. I am very tall and thin and always feel like I am printing in anything less than a jacket/sweatshirt. Any advice?

2. Remove Ads

Are you wearing the same size shirt you would be if you were not carrying a gun? I usually go a size up.

What kind of belt are you using? A good gun belt will help hold the weapon closer to your body than a store bought belt.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Are you wearing the same size shirt you would be if you were not carrying a gun? I usually go a size up.

What kind of belt are you using? A good gun belt will help hold the weapon closer to your body than a store bought belt.
    I am wearing the same size shirt, I will try getting a size bigger and seeing.

For my belt I am using a Wilderness Instructors belt. I have also heard that dark colors conceal better?

Sounds like you have a decent belt. It may depend on your holster. Have you tried a few different models?

I have no trouble with jeans/shorts and a Crossbreed gun belt and their Snap Slide holster with a regular (longish, not too tight) T-shirt.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

With knit material like T shirts that is naturally drapey, size is very important, in addition to buying quality shirts rather than the cheap thin ones. Dark colors can also help but are not mandatory.

Be nice, don't laugh at the old man.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

in a tshirt you are gonna probably have to go IWB for the best concealment unless you've got a pretty baggy shirt. I can conceal a sr9c with most of my existing t-shirts and athletic (wicking) shirts, but you are going to want an undershirt to make that comfortable. That's my experience anyway... I'm 5'9 170 with a decently athletic build, so my shirts naturally drape over my waist a bit. If you are really, really thin it could make it a bit harder, but I bet you can still pull it off.

I pocket carry exclusively now, so summer carry is no different than any other time.

Longtail T

http://www.duluthtrading.com

Look at Duluth Trading Co. Longtail T's if t-shirts are the style for the day. Yes, dark colors and one size up will work better as mentioned above.

Banded bottom shirts, normal size regular, are my preference @6' 0'', 180#. You will need to get a "tall" size if over 6'. Sort of dress casual.http://www.bandedbottom.com
    is one source. Google for more. Also some department stores, Cabela's, LL Bean etc. carry them.

For OWB a thin Kydex pancake style holsrer will help. Look at http://www.fist-inc.com.

Also you can wear a dark tucked t-shirt covered with a color coordinated unbuttoned untucked shirt for an "in between" look.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I wear a lot of Hawaiian style shirts in the summer, I too find the double stack magazine frame a problem.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

+1 for the Longtail T from Duluth Trading; they make concealment much easier (they are very nice quality shirts too). Also consider AIWB for even easier concealment.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I find that appendix IWB works best. I live an enviorment where concealment is important to me. I find that this position allows me to carry a larger firearm with out the bulge. Works well for hugging and the occasional bumping into someone say at work.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I drop to a Glock 27 during the summer.

I conceal with just a tshirt all the time with my crossbreed. Just don't wear a tight tshirt and you should be fine. I do however, prefer the single stacks over the double stacks. Thin is in.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Plus 1 more for the Duluth Long Ts. Heavier material than most Ts and come in a wide assortment of colors and styles. I shy away from white, which tends to reveal moreso than darker colors, but stay away from dark (no black or navy blue) because of the hot sun. Don't have to worry about the bottom riding up and revealing with the extra 3"s.

Lightweight patterned shirts work well also. Don't have to be all-out Hawaiian patterns, just something to break up any outlines.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I think you need two more belly buttons to accomodate those guns Guantes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links