Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet.... - Page 2

Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet....

This is a discussion on Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ianator I don't know if I am posting this in the right place I just figured it would be applicable to people ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    I don't know if I am posting this in the right place I just figured it would be applicable to people reading this section. Relocate if necessary.

Sunday night my best friend's dad took a few minutes to tell me that somebody that I used to know and went to a militaristic 'camp' with has died. He was 21.

He was cleaning is gun, did not realize there was one in the chamber, and shot himself in the heart. I don't know specifics and I haven't been in contact with him in 8 years or so. But I just want to remind everyone that it is too easy to do. He was a hunter and knew guns in and out just like me, you, and most other people on this forum. But all it took was one little second. Bam, life over.

Keep it safe and double, triple check those guns men and ladies. Its not only your duty, it could be you life.
    Absolutely positively correct. All mechanical items that we hold in high regards i.e. firearms and automobiles can take your life so quickly and easily. I try to be as careful as I can when handling either one of them and I know that it is probably not careful enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    The camp the we attended together was one that resembles the boy scouts, although it is openly Christian and teaches biblical principles throughout physical trials. They have teams (obviously consisting of older men...18-25) that go help with disaster relief such as Katrina and Ike. Here is a link to the program if you are further interested. http://www.alertacademy.com/iaa/

I am not aware of any sort of investigation. Although the only information I got in the first place was "Ben was cleaning his gun shot himself in the heart." So, I will let you know if I find out anything more. Admittedly, shooting ones self in the heart is a task... so we will see what the facts actually are.
    I have never heard of that, sounds like a great organization........
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Check three times, both visually and with a digit...just how I was taught.OMOYMV
    Finger those chambers in your revolver. Just looking down quickly on an open cylinder leaves the chance of a round hiding behind a thumb. Better safe than sorry.

bosco

gtv
    So sorry to hear of this. It is tragic, but let us hope that it will serve as a reminder to everyone to check, check, and check again...
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Check three times, both visually and with a digit...just how I was taught.OMOYMV
    Yep me too, and "don't point it at anything you would not want to shoot", like yourself!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Sad, but one of the main rules is "Do not point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot!" This would include yourself.

^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Excellent question about it being investigated. I read somewhere that a lot of 'shot-while-cleaning-gun' incidents were really suicide or homicide; although sometimes investigators would let the suicide ones go on the books as 'accidents' to let the real victims, the next of kin, collect the insurance.

Think of all the stars that would have to align for this to happen: not properly clearing the weapon 1st; a round in the chamber/gun cocked (if applicable); trigger pulled; gun pointing at the individual and specifically at a critical organ. Sad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS idea has some merit to it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And at least is thought.

Condolences, and

Thanks for posting.

It serves as a reminder to all,
    Newbies and seasoned vets alike.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Thanks for posting;

We all get in a hurry and sometime we miss a step. This only goes to show we need to be extra careful!

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to relax standards, even when your intellect knows better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links