Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet....

This is a discussion on Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if I am posting this in the right place I just figured it would be applicable to people reading this section. Relocate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet....

Bad: Cleaning a Gun...Easy, but yet....

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place I just figured it would be applicable to people reading this section. Relocate if necessary.

Sunday night my best friend's dad took a few minutes to tell me that somebody that I used to know and went to a militaristic 'camp' with has died. He was 21.

He was cleaning is gun, did not realize there was one in the chamber, and shot himself in the heart. I don't know specifics and I haven't been in contact with him in 8 years or so. But I just want to remind everyone that it is too easy to do. He was a hunter and knew guns in and out just like me, you, and most other people on this forum. But all it took was one little second. Bam, life over.

Keep it safe and double, triple check those guns men and ladies. Its not only your duty, it could be you life.

2. Remove Ads

Check three times, both visually and with a digit...just how I was taught.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My condolences, but one of two things happened. Either he wasn't taught proper firearms handling, or he ignored his teachings.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

A sad reminder that we cannot call them back.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I'm trying to figure out what part of cleaning a gun has you pointing the muzzle at your heart and pulling the trigger. A round through the hand, leg or foot I can see, but a round into the heart has me scratching my head. Any chance this was a Hemingway-type 'accident'?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I'm trying to figure out what part of cleaning a gun has you pointing the muzzle at your heart and pulling the trigger. A round through the hand, leg or foot I can see, but a round into the heart has me scratching my head. Any chance this was a Hemingway-type 'accident'?
    Absolutely tragic. However I can see a way; A 1911, racks the slide and drops the mag in the wrong order, and doesn't flip the safety. Flips muzzle around to depress the recoil spring plug (grip safety is depressed by the bench) and hits the trigger with his thumb. It takes doing many things wrong, but it can be done.

I have a friend who's an experienced shooter who told me he likes to knock back a few beers while cleaning. He's a terrible accident waiting to happen.

He was cleaning is gun, did not realize there was one in the chamber, and shot himself in the heart.

This is a tragedy. But an extremely hard and difficult shot to self inflict as an accident. Was it investigated?
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

SAD sad sad; stick your finger in an empty barrel no mag in the gun; then it is empty...................

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    sorry to hear about this, terrible accident. Always check again
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Sad, but one of the main rules is "Do not point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot!" This would include yourself.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    He was cleaning is gun, did not realize there was one in the chamber, and shot himself in the heart.
    This is a tragedy. But an extremely hard and difficult shot to self inflict as an accident. Was it investigated?
    Excellent question about it being investigated. I read somewhere that a lot of 'shot-while-cleaning-gun' incidents were really suicide or homicide; although sometimes investigators would let the suicide ones go on the books as 'accidents' to let the real victims, the next of kin, collect the insurance.

Think of all the stars that would have to align for this to happen: not properly clearing the weapon 1st; a round in the chamber/gun cocked (if applicable); trigger pulled; gun pointing at the individual and specifically at a critical organ. Sad.
    Last edited by GaryG; February 9th, 2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I won't even point the barrel at myself even if the gun is disassembled and its the only thing in my hnad.

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post

+1

Also, what is a militaristic camp that one goes to at ages younger than 13?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

One little mistake is all it takes. I don't look at the muzzle end until the barrell is removed from the pistol and even then it's the last end I check.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The camp the we attended together was one that resembles the boy scouts, although it is openly Christian and teaches biblical principles throughout physical trials. They have teams (obviously consisting of older men...18-25) that go help with disaster relief such as Katrina and Ike. Here is a link to the program if you are further interested. http://www.alertacademy.com/iaa/

I am not aware of any sort of investigation. Although the only information I got in the first place was "Ben was cleaning his gun shot himself in the heart." So, I will let you know if I find out anything more. Admittedly, shooting ones self in the heart is a task... so we will see what the facts actually are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links