Uncanny accuracy of the G30; Suggested explanation from Mas Ayoob

This is a discussion on Uncanny accuracy of the G30; Suggested explanation from Mas Ayoob within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always wondered why the G30 was so accurate. I figured that the ergo's just worked for me. Even more interesting, was that I've noticed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncanny accuracy of the G30; Suggested explanation from Mas Ayoob

VIP Member

I've always wondered why the G30 was so accurate. I figured that the ergo's just worked for me. Even more interesting, was that I've noticed that I'm slightly more accurate with the G26 than the G19. I figured that I must be just trying harder because of the shorter barrel and grip. Below is a recent quote from Mas:

"... there is the occasional firearms platform that defies the conventional wisdom and the Glock 30 is one of those.

I've seen the G21 do 1.5" or a bit less at 25 yards for 5 shots, off the bench, but I've seen the G30 do UNDER 1.0".

If you ask in one of the general forums in GT, you'll see the same with the 9mm Glock 26 versus the 9mm full size Glock 17, and I for one have certainly seen the same with the snubby Glock 27 in .40 versus the Glock 22 full size in the same .40 S&W chambering.

The reason seems to be twofold. First, the shorter barrel gun has a relatively more rigid barrel, when you measure width vis-a-vis length. Second, and perhaps more important I think, is that the G30 in .45 ACP and the Baby Glocks in standard frame size have the double captive spring design in their recoil springs. This seems to better guarantee that the bullet is past the muzzle before the mechanism begins to unlock. That gives a more consistent barrel alignment shot to shot, in relation to the plane of the sights that are aiming the gun.

There is another gunmaker (which will remain nameless here) who made a 9mm double action auto that generally was doing well if it shot a 2.5" group at 25 yards out of the box. However, the company offered a variation for twice or more the price that did an inch at 25 yards. The guys at the "custom" section of the factory told me a big part of that was a different recoil spring assembly that guaranteed the bullet would be out of the muzzle before it began to unlock. Those guns used to go about $1500 retail. You get the same effect in the Glock 30 at no extra charge, with every standard G30 that leaves the factory.

As they say on the Internet, "Just sayin' ..."

The G36 has a narrower, lighter slide than the G30, and this may be why I for one have never seen a G36 shoot as accurately as a G30, on the average.

Just one guy's opinion,

Mas"

Thanks for the post; pretty much sums up my experience with my G30 vrs. my G36 as well as my G26 being more accurate than my G19. I suspect it applies to other makers as well; don't have enough experience with my Kahrs, but it may be true there as well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm glad to see Ayoob has finally come on board with my opinion of the G30! Don't know what took him so long.

All I can say is the gun is much more accurate than I am.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

los
    Another Great Mystery of Life, solved.

I love my G30.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I love my G29 and my G30. They do make nice little groups with big bullets.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Well if what he is saying is true, then I am so glad I got the G27 instead of the 23.
    I will say that when I bought mine I shot both the 27 and the 23 same night, back to back. In all my total group of 25 rounds with the 23 was slightly better than the 27, but the tightest 5 round group of the night was with the 27 at about 2" at 21 feet. I am no where near as experienced as Mas, or most of the members here.

Very interesting thoughts by Mas. i would agree that it makes sense.

Maybe this is the info I have been waiting for that will let me convince the wife that I need a G27 to go along with my G23.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Baby Glocks rock. They are some if not the most versatile CCW guns on the market today.

Glad I went with the 27.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    I am calling total BS on sub one inch groups at 25 yards with a Glock 30. I would still call total BS on sub 1.25 inch groups at 25 yards with a Glock 30. There are 2 thousand dollar 1911's that would be hard press to give you sub one inch groups at 25 yards. I like Glocks, but I am just being real about a gun that is meant for combat accuracy, not match.

To that point, I have 100.00 to anyone that can hit sub 1 inch groups with a Glock 30 in the W. WA area. I would love to see some take me up on the offer. Please PM me if you want to prove me wrong!

* Note it must be stock
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; February 9th, 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added stock
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

You know it wouldn't be that difficult to find out if the theory about the bullet being out of the barrel before the action is starting to work was true.

On Top Shoot last night they were shooting a 1911, and with the high speed footage you could clearly see that the bullet left the end of the barrel before the action started to work. If both versions of Glock show the same thing, bullet exiting barrel before or after action is worked, regardless of whether it is a two piece spring or single piece spring that portion of the explanation would be bust.

I think that there would have to be some serious testing done on numbers of different Glock pistols to determine if the 30 is in fact that much more accurate than its larger brothers.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

los
    1-1.25 MOA groups are very probable and can be achieved with a 3" barrelled handgun at 25 yards. Especially if testing is done at an indoor shooting range, fired whiled rested, and quality ammo is used. Good eyesight will be paramount, as well.

Someone would probably have good use for that Bengy.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've always wondered why the G30 was so accurate. I figured that the ergo's just worked for me. Even more interesting, was that I've noticed that I'm slightly more accurate with the G26 than the G19. I figured that I must be just trying harder because of the shorter barrel and grip. Below is a recent quote from Mas:

"... there is the occasional firearms platform that defies the conventional wisdom and the Glock 30 is one of those.

I've seen the G21 do 1.5" or a bit less at 25 yards for 5 shots, off the bench, but I've seen the G30 do UNDER 1.0".

If you ask in one of the general forums in GT, you'll see the same with the 9mm Glock 26 versus the 9mm full size Glock 17, and I for one have certainly seen the same with the snubby Glock 27 in .40 versus the Glock 22 full size in the same .40 S&W chambering.

The reason seems to be twofold. First, the shorter barrel gun has a relatively more rigid barrel, when you measure width vis-a-vis length. Second, and perhaps more important I think, is that the G30 in .45 ACP and the Baby Glocks in standard frame size have the double captive spring design in their recoil springs. This seems to better guarantee that the bullet is past the muzzle before the mechanism begins to unlock. That gives a more consistent barrel alignment shot to shot, in relation to the plane of the sights that are aiming the gun.

There is another gunmaker (which will remain nameless here) who made a 9mm double action auto that generally was doing well if it shot a 2.5" group at 25 yards out of the box. However, the company offered a variation for twice or more the price that did an inch at 25 yards. The guys at the "custom" section of the factory told me a big part of that was a different recoil spring assembly that guaranteed the bullet would be out of the muzzle before it began to unlock. Those guns used to go about $1500 retail. You get the same effect in the Glock 30 at no extra charge, with every standard G30 that leaves the factory.

As they say on the Internet, "Just sayin' ..."

The G36 has a narrower, lighter slide than the G30, and this may be why I for one have never seen a G36 shoot as accurately as a G30, on the average.

Just one guy's opinion,

Mas"
    Interesting read. Thanks for posting it. Although I'm not a Glock owner, I was having issues with shooting my full-size loaded 1911 as accurately as the micro-loaded version from the same manufacurer. Perhaps this explains it. Mas sure seems like he knows what he's talking about in many other areas. I think he may have hit it on the head here as well.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Senior Moderator
    IIRC, in every locked breech handgun design, the bullet is out the muzzle before the barrel swings down to unlock.

Otherwise, you end up with just the case head containing the pressure in the barrel - which would be disastrous.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    1-1.50 MOA groups are very probable and can be achieved with a 3" barrelled handgun at 25 yards. Especially if testing is done at an indoor shooting range, fired whiled rested, and quality ammo is used. Good eyesight will be paramount, as well.

Someone would probably have good use for that Bengy.. :)
    First lets not get away from my challenge! It's a stock Glock 30, not a 3" barreled handgun. I would be glad to do this at an indoor range and fired while rested (*note mas did not say ransom rest, just a rest)

Heck I will tripple my offer if "old Mas" can do it!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    ... First lets not get away from my challenge! It's a stock Glock 30, not a 3" barreled handgun...
    A Glock 30 has a 3.78" barrel. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links