1911 Newbies - Both Field Strip Disassembly Reassembly Methods Instructional VID

This is a discussion on 1911 Newbies - Both Field Strip Disassembly Reassembly Methods Instructional VID within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good high quality VID for popping off your Top End & actually Getting It Back On Again. Both methods are demonstrated. Pick one or the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Newbies - Both Field Strip Disassembly Reassembly Methods Instructional VID

Administrator

1911 Newbies - Both Field Strip Disassembly Reassembly Methods Instructional VID

Good high quality VID for popping off your Top End & actually Getting It Back On Again.
    Both methods are demonstrated. Pick one or the other. It's Personal Preference. Both are good. Either will work.
    If your 1911 has a FLGR (full length guide rod)...what can I say except WHY? "get rid of the doggone useless thang" ~ 'cause it ain't doing beans and it ain't guidin' nuthin' except possibly it's misguiding you in your imagination.

2. Remove Ads

Where's the link?
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Click on the arrow.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    QK-

I am sure that people like you and I take this type of operation for granted having done it a million times. Thanks for posting this for newbies.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I'm glad they showed both ways. I'd strongly recommend that all newcomers use the "alternative" method until they completely understand the slide stop to avoid the dreaded scratch. It's much easier to do when the spring is not under tension. I agree 100% with QK about the FLGR's being an unnecessary nuisance.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thanks for posting, my son just brought home his first 1911 last week, and if I'm going to take it away from him, I'll have to know how to clean it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

So how does one go about leaving "idiot marks" on these guns? Disassembly is the same as my Kahr.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    So how does one go about leaving "idiot marks" on these guns? Disassembly is the same as my Kahr.
    Sadly, I'm an expert at that. Maybe I'll post a video of how to screw up the finish on your 1911. (j/K)

It's actually during the reassembly that this happens and it really isn't like your Kahr. There's several ways for it to happen, but basically the noob (in this case, me) attempts to force slide stop pin in, when it is not properly aligned. Some pressure is required, as it has to snap past a retention spring (plunger), and I guess only experience tells you when you're having to apply too much pressure and you're about to slip and have it skid across the precious finish on the frame.

Another popular method of applying the 'idiot scratch' is attempting to ease past the retention spring by swinging the slide stop in from the bottom.

Administrator
    It should be noted however that some Non-Colt 1911 pattern pistols have a slightly "out of spec" plunger (inside the plunger tube) ~ the little plunger juts out a tiny bit too far for the normal/standard simultaneous "up and in" slide stop pressure to push that plunger in as the slide stop snaps back into place for reassembly.
    The answer to that little frustration is simple.
    Just buy a high quality aftermarket complete 1911 pin set from Evolution Gun Works or Ed Brown etc. & switch out the little plungers for the higher quality aftermarket ones.
    Problem solved. & as a plus you get higher qualiity "hardened tool steel" pins for the rest of your 1911 that you can eventually "switch out" whenever you learn to do a complete disassembly.

VIP Member
    Interesting comment QKShooter. I did not know that this was more of a non-Colt thing. The duty Colts that I handled in the Coast Guard were so loose and beat up, you could almost throw the stop in, and the scratch was more of a 'groove'.

Another technique that some use for extended plungers is to depress it with a small jewler's screw driver. For the record, I have Springer and an ATI that only requires that the stop be inserted properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    Where's the link?
    Sorry for the confusion. I was using IE8-64 which does not have an workable Adobe Flash Player. When I viewed it with IE8-32 I could see it.
    Thanks
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

OD*
    Why would you want to disassemble and resemble with the slide under spring tension? It just makes it more difficult, IMO, unless you are using a full length guide rod. I do agree 100% with using good Colt or EGW pin sets.

Edit to ad: Unless it's a very tightly built pistol.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Not the method I use OD but, I sure have seen people do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Why would you want to disassemble and resemble with the slide under spring tension? It just makes it more difficult, IMO, unless you are using a full length guide rod. I do agree 100% with using good Colt or EGW pin sets.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    I didn't figure you did, QK, you an old-head too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post

I gave it a try not long ago.

I tell ya, with an extra power recoil spring, it's dang hard!

No FLGRs in my house, so I'll stick with removing the spring before the slide stop, thank you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links