Walther P99, reliable or not?

This is a discussion on Walther P99, reliable or not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sojourner Someone mentioned that the AS is no longer available. That is no longer correct. It is being re-introduced in limited quantities. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther P99, reliable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner

Someone mentioned that the AS is no longer available. That is no longer correct. It is being re-introduced in limited quantities. I saw an AS P99 in 40 S&W in Gander Mountain in Erie, PA just a few weeks ago.
    +1 you can get them in AS again. thank goodness.

talked to someone locally who is in the LEO field that said one department got ahold of some in .40 to test. they told the rep they were going to break his guns in their testing. they put it through their torture tests and even would throw it in to the river that was next to their range. in the end, they didnt break it and were very impressed.

i love my walther in .40.

i have been lucky on my floor plates so far in the 10 rounders. good for the range. carry the 12's though.

woot....just popped my cherry on the forum. 8^)

2. Remove Ads

There IS a difference in the S&W and Walther versions

The slide is different and the S&W mag release is much smaller.
    I fired them both side by side at a shooters' show here recently andlike the larger mag release on the Walther. It's different than what I'm used to but at least it's easy to activate. I had some problems / awkwardness with the S&W release.

Both guns shot like dreams though!

Quote Originally Posted by plblark
    The slide is different and the S&W mag release is much smaller.
    I fired them both side by side at a shooters' show here recently andlike the larger mag release on the Walther. It's different than what I'm used to but at least it's easy to activate. I had some problems / awkwardness with the S&W release.

Both guns shot like dreams though!
    Don't think is it related to SW v Walther, but to a year the guns were produced - Pre 19xx / post 19xx. MY complete Walther an older P990 w/ all german marks has the smaller mag release. The newer Walther P99 AS 40 S&W has the larger mag release. A visit to waltherforums probably would answer this question.

I do like the larger mag release better.

As long as I can remember my Dad has always had a PPK. We have shot 1000s of rounds though it and I have only seen it stovepipe one time. Seen it shop up my dands thumb a few times but no real issues.

When I became of age I got my P99 QA .40 (old bond to new bond) an love it. About to hit the 1k mark and not a single FTF FTD or anything. Will be buying a P99c QA 9mm for my lady soon as well as a P22 for plinking in the morning. Would sugest going and dry fireing both the AS and QA model before deciding. I see where the AS would be a better choice, but with the QA safe is safe.

I only feed her the best ammo and she is always wet. Woudent trade it for anything.

Spud that's a pretty one, I was going to get the OD, but they only had the QA in that color. I have no less then 2000 rounds through mine, I've had it for 7 months now. I also bought the P22 for fun. It's nice, but sorta on the cheap side for materials, but the nice thing is I can train with the P22 for cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links