Walther P99, reliable or not?

This is a discussion on Walther P99, reliable or not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made a previous thread that had the choices of the H&K USPC and the Sig 226 (if I'm not mistaken). Another pistol caught my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther P99, reliable or not?

I made a previous thread that had the choices of the H&K USPC and the Sig 226 (if I'm not mistaken). Another pistol caught my eye, which was the Walther P99. The P99 fits my hands very well but if its not reliable, I don't want it. What are your opinions on the reliability of the P99 compared to the 226 and the USPC?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    If it's anything like my SW99 you'll find it's very reliable.I love the trigger!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have a S&W 99 and a Walther P99c and both are excellent weapons. My wife's carry gun is the Walther and it has approx 1200 rounds thru it without a problem. If you get the Walther try to get a German made one as I feel they are better constructed. You can tell from the proof markings. Check out http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/ for more info.

Assistant Administrator
    I have an SW99 compact and it is a remarkable gun IMO. may be small but I find it manageable even with quite large hands. I am making the assumption that in effect - these are the same guns.

Mine is 9mm which I think is ideal for the size platform.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have never heard any complaints about either the P99 or SW99. I have always liked them.

In short - just as reliable as your other two choices.

Thank you all for your input.

I can tell you this. I do not own one but I wish I did.

I had the chance to buy a Walther P99c about 2 years ago. But, I was somewhat fixated on a different gun at the time, my XD.40sc. Now, I love my XD. I really do. A buddy of mine bought the Walther P99c that I had been considering. He has had it now for about 2 years and has about 2500 rounds through that little gun and not a single malfunction of any kind to report.
    I would estimate that of the 2500 rounds through the gun approx. 300 to 400 of them I have fired. That little gun is very accurate and the recoil is very managable. And you are 100% right about the gun fitting your hand. It is really very comfortable. I believe that adds to the accuracy a great deal.

Other than that, I have never heard a really bad range report about one. I have heard people say they didn't like small things but by and large, the majority of people who shoot one seem to really like the gun. Same thing goes for the S&W version.

I am still thinking about getting one myself. The only problem is, you can't find them new with the AS trigger set up anymore as Walther either stopped making it or just stopped selling here in the US. You will just find the QA trigger set up now and I do not particualrly like it that well. But I keep my eyes open on Gunbroker.com for a nice one with the AS trigger.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    My friend had an early P99, failed once, sent to S&W, no problems since.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I saw one operate for 3 days straight during a defensive shooting course... approx 1000 rounds... NO ISSUES...

I'm a GLOCK fanatic, But I WAS impressed... I'd prob get the one with Walther stamping over the S&W... But thats just me...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Walther P99 40S&W DA/SA

This is a jewel of a gun. I've had mine since 2000. Carry in a Kramer OWB daily. Would love to get a MaxCon V, but it's not available in the old style trigger guard configur
    ationl. {Gary, hint hint}

Reminds me of a Zippo lighter, works every time.
    Last edited by Martini13; July 17th, 2006 at 10:29 PM.
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

I have 2 of the P990 (just a P99 w/ DAO trigger) (CDNN closeout at $300). Put about 1,000 rounds through the one for my wife (no problems). 800 rounds through mine, no problems.

Someone mentioned that the AS is no longer available. That is no longer correct. It is being re-introduced in limited quantities. I saw an AS P99 in 40 S&W in Gander Mountain in Erie, PA just a few weeks ago.

Good quality gun. Very comfortable. The only thing I did not like was the feel of the guide rod (plastic). I think you can get an aftermarket metal one.

People report that they really like the feel of the DA/SA trigger. The decocker is definitely one you won't see anywhere else. Some report that they do not like the QA trigger. None of this firsthand.

I planned to use the P990 as house/bedside gun. Easy to use for the wife. When I got them, I was disappointed that to reset the trigger, I had to wait until the 2nd click. I short stroked them alot at first. It is the only concern I have (Will not have the problem w/ AS or QA). I might just get a QA and replace my wife's DAO w/ the QA trigger for my peace of mind.

If the P99 AS had, what I believe a safe way for ME to reholster, e.g., external hammer or grip safety, I would definitely have one for CCW. Since it does not, I only have them for the house or carry w/ the SafePacker.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I own the H&K USP .40c and the Walther (mixed breed) P99 .40 and like both of them.

I have shot probably 2500-3000 rds in the USPc and probably 3-4K in the P99 with no problems with either gun (one mag issue I'll describe later).

I shot ~800 rds in each of two defensive handgun courses without any cleaning during the 3 day courses. NO problems whatsoever.

Only issue I've ever had was baseplate failures (plastic breaks and ejects mag parts and ammo onto table/ground) with the Walther marked P99 mags. This is a well-known problem caused by a bad batch of plastic (since then materials have changed) and S&W replaced them free. It ONLY effects the .40 mags with Walther markings on the plastic mag base. I finally had S&W ship me mag bases that are marked S&W and no problems since that time. This did NOT affect any 9mm mags.

ive never seen a p99 failure. my only complaint is their 3 stage trigger, but i like that better than their DAO or QA options.

The only time I've had a failure is when I was using crappy reloads that were not sized right. It's a damn good gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links