M&P 9C range report and question

This is a discussion on M&P 9C range report and question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put 340 rounds through my newly acquired, "previously loved" m&p 9c today and overall impressions are that it is a really nice pistol. Point ...

Thread: M&P 9C range report and question

M&P 9C range report and question

I put 340 rounds through my newly acquired, "previously loved" m&p 9c today and overall impressions are that it is a really nice pistol. Point of aim and point of impact seem spot on, reliability is as many of you said...boringly reliable. This is of course a great thing! I shot WWB, Federal Champion, and UMC ammo through the gun today, and had 0 malfunctions. I also shot 40 rounds of winchester supreme elite +p rounds through the gun without a hitch. Point of impact seemed to be up 1/2" or so, but that could likely have been the shooter and not the gun.

NOW, as I mentioned, this gun was purchased used. As I was firing it it seemed like the trigger was very light for what I prefer for a carry weapon. This didn't match up with what I have read about "stock" m&p's so I after my range session was finished I had the gentleman at the range that handles their minor gunsmithing services check the trigger pull on the gun. His gauge showed the trigger to break at just over 4lbs. He grabbed a brand new m&p 9c and it pulled at just short of 7lbs. So, next he removed the slide and popped out the sear block and looked it over. He said that the sear has been worked on somewhere along the way, and the plunger has been "beveled" as well. Without really looking at the trigger bar he said it's probably been polished up to complete the trigger job on the gun.

I'm not really opposed to trigger work as many of my rifles, and my 44 mag hunting revolver have had trigger work, but I'm not sure that i'm wild about having a carry gun that has been modified...at least not to barely over 4lbs.

I've been looking at the apex tactical DCAEK since I got back from the range. Again this would have me carrying a modified firearm which i'm unsure of for legal purposes, but apex says that two law enforcement agencies are using this setup in their duty weapons for increased accuracy and safety, so part of me wants to think this would be good in justifying having these aftermarket parts in the gun if the poop ever hit the fan.

I really like the feel of the gun, the way it points, and the accuracy with which it shoots, but the lightness of the trigger concerns me for a carry weapon.

What are you all's thoughts on the gun as it is and on the apex tactical kit since it is being put into the guns by LE agencies now?

And yes, I probably should have noticed the very light trigger when I bought the gun, but the fact is I didn't really realize it until I fired live rounds through it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Typically from day one the stock trigger are around 6.5 to 7 pounds. The first owner may have put in just the apex sear which should lighten it to around 5 to 5.5 pounds from my experience. I would not have any reservations about using the apex stuff if you wanted to buy the kit. By the way, M&P's rock!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The gentleman at the range was quite certain that the parts were all OEM, just modified via trigger job. Everything i'm reading on the Apex DCAEK is very positive, saying the kit takes the M&P to the next level (which it is already pretty sweet!) so I'm thinking i'm going to go ahead and order the kit for the sake of knowing 100% what is in the gun and having something that law enforcement groups have tested and now consider an improvement in performance and safety in the gun.

I'll probably order the Apex RAM as well to try out. It's only another $23.00 so I may as well grab it on the same order!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Would you ever be "confident" in the "modified" trigger? If not, go ahead and get the Apex. Eliminate that question mark in your head.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm not sure I would trust it without knowing who did the trigger job. The apex DCAEK will yield a very nice trigger suitable for carry.

I don't really think I have any problem trusting the gun to function as it ran flawlessly yesterday. Function wise there are absolutely no problems, but that isn't to say that everything has been done in the best manner possible, or that I would want to deal with ambulance chasing lawyers about the modified components in the gun without having the details on who did the work, their credentials, etc. All of this really sounds stupid I know, but sadly enough I think it is something we have to be mindful of.

Reviews of the Apex DCAEK are great. One review I read said that the kit adds some weight to the take-up of the trigger. This would be great as I like a more revolver like trigger feel. But, i've only seen that comment in one review, so who knows. I'll order the kit sometime today and see how it runs when it gets here!

Thanks for the replies

Exchanged a couple of emails with Scott from Apex today, and ordered the DCAEK and RAM for my m&p. The m&p is already great, but I think with these parts from apex it should really be a sweet piece.

...now to just keep these parts off the wife's radar!

Congrats! I love my 9c. Planning to get another M&P compact and upgrade both with Apex parts too. From what I understand, Apex parts are machined while some of the M&P stock parts are MIM. I want my carry guns as reliable as possible for the platform I've chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    Exchanged a couple of emails with Scott from Apex today, and ordered the DCAEK and RAM for my m&p. The m&p is already great, but I think with these parts from apex it should really be a sweet piece.

...now to just keep these parts off the wife's radar!
    Btw, looking forward to another report from you after you have the kit.

Links