New 1911 EDC Recommendations - Page 2

New 1911 EDC Recommendations

This is a discussion on New 1911 EDC Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have and carry a RIA compact and really like it. I trust it daily and that's the only endorsement you should need from me. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 1911 EDC Recommendations

I have and carry a RIA compact and really like it. I trust it daily and that's the only endorsement you should need from me. The price point is great and it is a sweet shooter. Yes, you can go more expensive and increase your bragging rights. It is all in what you want from a 1911.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

TCT
    Many people gloss over or have never put their hands on a STI.

You may want to take a look at what they offer.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php

Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    Many people gloss over or have never put their hands on a STI.

You may want to take a look at what they offer.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php

Good luck in your search.
    Hows the quality of these? There offduty and shadow 3.0's look like nice guns. Never felt one before. Look a little heavy.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recommend the Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    It's called a COLT
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

TCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    Hows the quality of these? There offduty and shadow 3.0's look like nice guns. Never felt one before. Look a little heavy.
    Many custom gun makers use STI's parts. My Dan Wesson 1911 has many parts from them. Many feel they are regarded as the number one manufacture in the semi-custom market. Plus they are a USA company, 100% employee owned. Thats a plus in my book.

Been carrying my RIA 3 1/2" 1911 for quite some time now. I am not bothered by the weight at all and I am not a big person, 5'9" 200 lbs. The gun has been totally reliable and is as accurate as any other more expensive gun that I have owned. An excellent value for money IMO.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

posted here and elsewhere

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! (mynameisFred?)

S&W 1911PD Commander
    Scandium lightweight frame, Novaks, flat MSP, bushing barrel with no-tool fieldstrip, ext'd safety, beavertail, 2 magazines blah blah blah. BUT: a trigger to die for! At *least* as nice as any Gold Cup I ever had. *Maybe* 4-1/2 - 5lbs with absolutely no creep, crisp as a new potato chip, and I couldn't feel any overtravel. Finish is black as my soul, and weighs in at 27-29oz empty.

$899.

First stop: Lot's of $2k+, and (not their fault) not many lightweights. Kimbers. Kimbers, Wilson Combats, and Kimbers. Thanks, but no thanks. Very friendly and knowledgable though. Great place. Hard to walk away from.

Next stop: Colts, lots. Springers, lots. RIA's (geez they're heavy!), Desert Eagles, etc. No Kimbers (no comment). And the S&W's. No problem trotting out everything I wanted to look at.

So, thank you all! Somebody on this forum mentioned S & W, and I would have passed it by otherwise. I'll post a review once I get home, take pictures, and shoot it. Oh yeah, then there's the extra magazines, new leather, ...

-jb

Colt Defender - available in 45 or 9mm.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not...." - Thomas Jefferson

My two cents...My primary carry is a Kimber Tactical Ultra; so therefore, I am partial to Kimber products having personal experience and I highly recommend. My Father-in-law carries a Colt Defender and likes it, and I am sure he would recommend. I bought a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips for him for Christmas, and he absolutely loves the addition. If you are looking at the RIA for price point...maybe consider sending it to someone like Ken at MCF Custom Firearms and have it worked over a bit to ensure life saving reliability, functionality, etc.... Don't get me wrong; I don't have any personal experience with RIA and I have not heard many bad things about them. It is just a suggestion...Ken at MCF is very reasonable as compared to other smiths. After spending $400-$500 on the RIA, he could likely do some nice work for a couple hundred more. I would also recommend Great West Gunsmithing as well...he is a master gunsmith and reasonably priced.

As a side note; my previous carry weapon was the PT-145 as well, and I still love it. Like you I don't like the sights either, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the sights. But that is just my opinion.... At the typcial engagement distance for a conceal carry encounter; I don't think the heine sights will cause many issues for those who aren't used to them. My PT-145 will be retired to one of several secure "hiding" spots in my house with a Veridian C5L laser attached to it. I think it will serve well there. I still like to shoot it...its bad azz. :-) Good luck!
    Mark
    Active Duty Air Force
    Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer - marchellearms.com
    NRA Life Member
    Concealed Carry Permit Holder

Ok...so I didn't read the next to last post indicating that you chose a Smith. Good choice...I have a full size SS Smith and I make head shots with it all day long at 25 yards. I love it... $899...good price for a quality life saving tool. Mark
    Mark
    Active Duty Air Force
    Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer - marchellearms.com
    NRA Life Member
    Concealed Carry Permit Holder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links