New 1911 EDC Recommendations

This is a discussion on New 1911 EDC Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; posted here and elsewhere OK, a little background: I've been handgunning 30+ years, revolvers and autos. I *really* prefer 1911 platforms, and shot them in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 EDC Recommendations

New 1911 EDC Recommendations

posted here and elsewhere

OK, a little background: I've been handgunning 30+ years, revolvers and autos. I *really* prefer 1911 platforms, and shot them in IPSC back in the day. So, I'm in the mood for a new auto.

Current carry is a Taurus PT-145 MilPro 3rd Gen (i.e., SA trigger). It actually functions much like a 1911 in that it's carried basically condition 1 without an external hammer. It's .45 (not interested in any other caliber), compact (~3" barrel), very light (25oz empty), and has been 100% reliable with everything I've fed it. Only two downsides: I just can't stand the Heinie Straight Eight sights (I know, they can be changed) and it's a staggered 10 rd magazine. That means my small hands just can't quite get a proper grip *always*.

So I'm looking to go back to a regular SA trigger (no DA or safe actions), 1911 platform, and looking hard at the RIA 1911A1 Tactical Compact ($450-500-ish). But, it's pretty heavy, 31oz empty; other consideration is Springfield Armory Lightweight Operator 4" (more or less Commander) at almost twice ($8-900) the RIA price. Kimber could be in the mix, but that's getting really pricey, same for my beloved genuine Colt. And, I'm not sure a fully loaded 31oz gun with 6 or 7+1 would be heavier or lighter than a 25oz with 10+1 rounds

Anything else I should be looking at in a 3-4" alloy/lightweight 1911? Thanks for any recommendations, suggestions, or comments.

-jb

2. Remove Ads

Colt Defender

Jeff B

I don't think you will go wrong with a RIA Comp Tac as long as you know something about 1911s as you have said you do. Not all of these gun work 100% right out of the box but RIA has probably the best customer service in the business. My Comp-Tac took a little love to get working right but it has always fed HPs almost flawlessly right from the get go.

Kimbers, I own 5 of them and have bought them all used. I haven't paid more than $800 for any of them and they were all like brand new. My two most recent were a pair of ultra compacts. These guns are extremely light and easy to conceal. Both of mine work very well. I also have two Eclipse pro's and a Tac pro II, which is the gun I carry most often. If you keep your eyes open you can find good deals on used Kimbers pretty regularly. If I had an extra $700 last week I would have had a Kimber eclipse Ultra to add to my collection.

Other guns to look at are the Metro Arms commanders as well as the new Desert eagle commader made by BUL in Israel. I had one of their full sized guns in my hands a couple of weeks ago and would have bought it had it been a commander. The Metro gunsa re rela nice. I will own one of their commanders in Hard Chrome finish within the next couple of months unless something else comes along first. If Taurus ever gets their commander lenght gun to market, I will be one of the first to buy it especially if the have a light weight model. My two Taurus duo-tones are the most reliable 1911s I own, including all the Kimbers.

+1 for the Springfield Loaded Micro-compact. I picked one up used for $800 with less than 200 rds put through it. 3" barrel, 6+1, aluminum frame, bull barrel, 3-dot Tritium night sights, 25oz empty and shoots like a dream! It's my EDC in a Galco Silhouette. And Springfield's CS is the best I've dealt with.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Somebody else commented on Desert Eagle ... I didn't even know they had a 1911. That's the kind of reminders I needed.

-jb

I would also go with the Colt Defender. I'm an old Gold Cup shooter, and the Defender made me feel right at home.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I vote for the SA LW champ operator. I had the Citadel CS, which is a rebranded RIA CS tac. While it was a good enough gun, it took some smithing and Wilson mag springs and followers to get it to feed HP's reliably. Then there was the issue with it throwing empties in my face when shooting self defense rounds. Scratching my glasses 3x and 2 cuts to the forehead were enough. I even called Armscor to see if they could tune it up. They can do a tune up, but stated the empties in the face may never be cured. So, I didn't spend the money on the tune up, what's the point?

So, when I got the SA, I literally stopped shooting the Citadel, and eventually sold it to fund another purchase. The SA is my EDC and is an absolutely JOY to shoot! I love the SA so much, I bought a second one for momma! Bobtailed mine and put a Grieder short trigger and slim VZ grips for her.

I don't know anything about Colt other than an excellent reputation. Kimber, I'd consider a Compact CDP. 4" barrel and slide on an aluminum officers frame. Nice and light, easier to carry, and the reliability of a 4".

Good luck!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

You'd have a hard time finding a 1911 with all the features you can get with a S&W 1911 PD.

I love mine.

If you can afford the Springfield Micro or Colt, you can afford a kimber Ultra Carry II. Look at the range of prices on GunBroker. I paid 700is for my Black UCII with night sights 3 1/2 yrs and about 900is for the stainless one 2 years ago. Prices have gone up but check out:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216203061

Good luck!

Colt LW Commander.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Fellow dinosaur 1911-lover here. My most frequent carry gun, and the one on my hip today, is a Kimber Ultra-Aegis I've converted to 9x23. Unlike some other unfortunate folks, I've had nothing but good service from the many Kimbers I own and have owned. To meet your needs, and assuming that you wish to stick with a .45, my favorite is the Kimber Compact, with Officer's-length frame and 4" barrel. It is available in both alloy and steel frame versions. One of my sons carries a steel one, the other an alloy one. If you could find one, Colt briefly produced a model called the CCO Colt Gunsite Pistol. It has an Officer's frame, true Commander length 4 1/4" barrel, Novak sights, and unlike most other Colts, a properly fitted beavertail grip safety and no sharp edges in the wrong places. I found one several years ago, and carry it occasionally, but they are pretty rare.
    Last edited by JohnLeVick; February 14th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    posted here and elsewhere

OK, a little background: I've been handgunning 30+ years, revolvers and autos. I *really* prefer 1911 platforms, and shot them in IPSC back in the day. So, I'm in the mood for a new auto.

Current carry is a Taurus PT-145 MilPro 3rd Gen (i.e., SA trigger). It actually functions much like a 1911 in that it's carried basically condition 1 without an external hammer. It's .45 (not interested in any other caliber), compact (~3" barrel), very light (25oz empty), and has been 100% reliable with everything I've fed it. Only two downsides: I just can't stand the Heinie Straight Eight sights (I know, they can be changed) and it's a staggered 10 rd magazine. That means my small hands just can't quite get a proper grip *always*.

So I'm looking to go back to a regular SA trigger (no DA or safe actions), 1911 platform, and looking hard at the RIA 1911A1 Tactical Compact ($450-500-ish). But, it's pretty heavy, 31oz empty; other consideration is Springfield Armory Lightweight Operator 4" (more or less Commander) at almost twice ($8-900) the RIA price. Kimber could be in the mix, but that's getting really pricey, same for my beloved genuine Colt. And, I'm not sure a fully loaded 31oz gun with 6 or 7+1 would be heavier or lighter than a 25oz with 10+1 rounds

Anything else I should be looking at in a 3-4" alloy/lightweight 1911? Thanks for any recommendations, suggestions, or comments.

-jb
    I would also look at Colt's Model O4691 Commander.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Colt Defender is my favorite CC pistol.

Check one out, when you get the chance.

The Magnum Research (makers of the Desert Eagle) 1911 has a great feel to it. I haven't fired one yet, and I've only held the 5" barrel (they also make a 4", I believe), but I really like it. And, it came with red night sights on it, and was about $100 less than a very reasonable priced Colt Commander (blued, not stainless, which run a little more in my experience). My local gun store had it for $700. I would be really interested in the 4" model for concealed carry.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/761226085959.html

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Another Colt voter here !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links