Anybody use a Bond Arms derringer for CCW or BUG?

This is a discussion on Anybody use a Bond Arms derringer for CCW or BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never thought about getting a derringer, they never have intersted me. I was at the LGS yesterday and they had a Bond Arms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use a Bond Arms derringer for CCW or BUG?

Anybody use a Bond Arms derringer for CCW or BUG?

I have never thought about getting a derringer, they never have intersted me. I was at the LGS yesterday and they had a Bond Arms derringer in 45/410. I was pretty impressed with the quality and the larger size. They look like they might make for a good BUG. Any owners out there that want to share what you know?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Don't own one, suspect there may be a legimate use for one, but think there's a world of better BUGs out there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

IMO they are WAY to big for what they are.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    IMO they are WAY to big for what they are.
    Yeah, I agree.

I think that one would be fun to own, but it doesn't fit my idea of a BUG. Everyone has their own carry philosophy, but if I'm grabbing my backup, that means that my primary failed, and I don't want to be messing with a really small single action pistol.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Originally Posted by Rollo
    "IMO they are WAY to big for what they are."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

I think that one would be fun to own, but it doesn't fit my idea of a BUG. Everyone has their own carry philosophy, but if I'm grabbing my backup, that means that my primary failed, and I don't want to be messing with a really small single action pistol.
    Make up your mind, first you agree with Rollo that it is "WAY to big", then you say it's "really small". Which is it?
    Glock Certified Armorer

I've got one in .45 Colt /.410. It's a great conversation piece, not much fun to shoot.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    Originally Posted by Rollo
    "IMO they are WAY to big for what they are."

Make up your mind, first you agree with Rollo that it is "WAY to big", then you say it's "really small". Which is it?
    It's way too big for only 2 shots. It's way too small to manipulate the single action hammer. OMO, purely subjective.

It's just right for a novelty piece.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I don't know why they make them two shots...the recoil from the first one rips them from your hand.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The problem is that not only do they only carry two shots, but it is a single action pistol too. So you have to cock it for each shot.

jyo
    My shooting buddy just sold his Bond "Texas Defender" in .45 ACP---I shot it many times and did not care for it. Only two shots, heavy for what it is, the trigger when he first got it had to be 30+ lbs (!)---Bond sent new parts to be installed by a gunsmith, trigger reduced to "only" maybe 18 lbs (!)---trigger problems meant that often after firing the first shot, it would not fire the second (!)---grips too small---recoil heavy---on the plus side, it appears well-made---you could use it as an impact weapon if need be. He is looking to replace it with a Glock 30 or 36 (he already has a Glock 21).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The problem is that not only do they only carry two shots, but it is a single action pistol too. So you have to cock it for each shot.
    At the other end of the spectrum there is a similar problem with the NAA 22 Magnums. They'd be great except....

Quote Originally Posted by T45 View Post
    I have never thought about getting a derringer, they never have intersted me. I was at the LGS yesterday and they had a Bond Arms derringer in 45/410. I was pretty impressed with the quality and the larger size. They look like they might make for a good BUG. Any owners out there that want to share what you know?
    I have one as a bedroom gun. The quality is top notch, but it's too heavy (IMO) for a carry gun. It would make a great car gun and Bond sells a cross draw horizontal holster that would be perfect for a seat belt.
    I remember a chilling post by "Chaplin Tom" on how he defended his life with a Bond firearm, and that got me interested in them.
    Kinda big to call a derringer, but it's an interesting firearm.
    Mine is the Snake Slayer IV, so I have the largest of the group. I wanted more to hold onto when firing .410. They make 17 different barrels, and the barrels interchange with one screw.
    With the popularity of the Taurus Judge, ammo manufactreres have really stepped up with new ammo in .410.

Quote Originally Posted by T45 View Post
    I couldn't even cock it one-handed when I looked at one in the store, plus the weight - may as well CCW a small gun with multiple rounds. The Bonds do look sharp though.

VIP Member
    I own, and carry at times, a Cobra .38. Well built, reliable, looks good, and works when other choices don't.

I handled a Bond at a gunshop; it's too heavy and bulky for me to consider as a BUG (considering its limitations; 2-shots, single-action, limited accurate range). In my own humble opinion, the American Derringer Model 10 or Model 11 (alloy framed; more compact and MUCH lighter than the Bond) would make much more sense. I have an old Model 10 in .45 ACP; weighs about 10 oz, as I recall. Still single action, and only two shots, but small & light enough to stow away behind a belt buckle, or somewhere else "at hand," as a BUG.

No, I don't carry it, but it is at least "derringer-sized."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links