Glock 30 vs M&P 45C vs Kahr PM45, Which would you Pick and Why?

This is a discussion on Glock 30 vs M&P 45C vs Kahr PM45, Which would you Pick and Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; M&P45c with night sights...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30 vs M&P 45C vs Kahr PM45, Which would you Pick and Why?

M&P45c with night sights

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Glock 30 cuz I have owned the others and still keep coming back to the glock!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

All good options...my thought process goes like this;

The PM45 is the smallest and most concealable, but more expensive, probably not quite as accurate or pleasant to shoot, perhaps not quite as reliable, and IMO not quite as pretty as the Glock. However it may be the most "practical" choice.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/g...sKahrPM45c.jpg

The Glocks are extremely reliable, accurate, pleasant to shoot and cost literally half as much as your other options. The G36 has a thinner and lighter slide than the G30 which makes it easier to carry but also less accurate and controllable than the heavier G30.

I don't think the M&P has any advantages over the Glock so I would rule that one out.

The 1911's look nice but are heavier due to having a metal frame, I personally don't like the external hammers, and they are not cheap. They do look very nice and have more room for customization.

All are good guns and to decide requires some deep introspection to find out where your true priorities lie. How do you order the priorities of Weight, Concealability, Reliability, Accuracy, Capacity, Price, Customizability, and Looks?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I was recently contemplating this myself, although the Kahr was not in consideration. I have shot a PM45 belonging to a friend, and IMO it is past the point of diminishing returns; too short a barrel and too small overall, bringing reduced bullet performance and reduced shooter control to the table. That opinion is not universally held, of course, but it strikes the Kahr from my list of eligibles.

Like with many folks, the G30 is too fat for my hand; even the SF iteration. But I have two G19s with Bowie grip reductions on them; those work like a champ. The question is, how much of a difference on the G30? Another pal sent his G30SF to Robar for their grip reduction. Quality work, to be sure, but I was not impressed with the amount (small, at best) of actual reduction that was accomplished. Would Bowie's version be better? THAT was the $64 question.

Then I ran across an M&P 45C while looking at trap guns. It just felt RIGHT in my hand; and it is the same size as the HK45C I normally carry. That beautiful pistol, sad to say, is likely to be retired if I decide on a red dot/holograph sight for EDC. The HK's sloped slide just isn't conducive to mounting an RDS properly.

Anyway... I bought the M&P 45C on impulse. I have close to a thousand rounds through it now, and the only problems have been ammunition-related, as I look to find a light practice reload that is 100% reliable. I find recoil with factory ball to be objectionable enough to limit a practice session. But I stress that the pistol has been doing exactly what is designed to do; shoot well, and accurately. It is, however, sensitive in regards to overall cartridge length. So if you plan to reload for your M&P 45C, keep that in mind.

I like the M&P 45C enough so that, even if I decide not to pursue the RDS option (and continue carrying the HK), I intend to keep the M&P around for whatever.

Last edited by LSP972; February 14th, 2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added information

Another vote her for the S&W M&P .45. I own several in 9mm, .40, and .45 --- all have functioned perfectly and are very accurate. They also fit my hand better than any Gen-xyz Glock I've ever held or shot.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

+1 for M&P 45c. Most comfortable, points the best for me and made in USA. Those are all reliable guns. My main problem with Glocks is that the grips are uncomfortable in my hands. Would need grip reduction. I prefer M&P with Apex parts.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    M&P45c with night sights
    and crimson trace laser grips.. I have an M&P40... never lets me down. My dad has an M&P9c.. my uncle has an M&P9c and my friend has a M&P9... everyone truly loves their M&P's and they are really top quality guns. The Ergonomics, features, and product quality are A+ in our book.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I had the Glock 30- really didn't fit my had,but shot find. I've shot the CW45-trigger finger kept getting hung up inside the trigger guard. I wound up with the M&P 45c- different back straps would fit both mine and my wife's hands, seem to be very accurate and also seems to shoot "softer" then the other two.

Mine is the Glock 30. I looked at all 3 and did not like trigger pull on the Kahr or the M&P as well as the Glock.

los
    :)

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Excellent presentation, los.

One can really get a feel for the differences from that.

Both are good guns. Pick the one that fits your hands and points naturally for you.

Glocks point up in the air one handed for me so M&P would be my choice.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I went from a Glock30sf to the M&P45c. They booth shoot equally well, but the M&P45c is slimmer, has the option for a thumb safety and is better for those with small hands like me. You give up a little capacity for the slimmer grip though. Both were equally easy to conceal.

My 30sf was advertised as 10+1 capacity, but in reality it is only 9+1. Sure you can cram in the 10th round, but I found when testing at the range that the pistol would occasionally jam after the first mag was loaded. This happened mostly with weaker loads or steel cased ammo, but it also happened a few times with Gold Dots. In 9+1 mode the Glock was flawless.

glock 30

VIP Member
    S&W M&P45c hands down......

Wait Mas says that the Glock 30 has sub 1 inch groups at 25 yards LOL..... Got a chart for that Los?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links