What should I buy with my tax return?

This is a discussion on What should I buy with my tax return? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, got a lot more back than I thought I would, and want a smaller EDC gun. Wanna keep it 800 or preferably less, small, ...

View Poll Results: What should I buy with my tax money?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 26

20 20.62%
  • Sig 239

12 12.37%
  • Walther PPS

16 16.49%
  • M&P9c

25 25.77%
  • H&K P2000

12 12.37%
  • Ruger LC9

12 12.37%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I buy with my tax return?

Ok, got a lot more back than I thought I would, and want a smaller EDC gun. Wanna keep it 800 or preferably less, small, light weight. I love my M&P 40, but it's just too big and heavy. I tend to wear more snug fitting shirts, and summer gets pretty warm, so I want something smaller, 9mm. Also, I don't have a range to rent any of these at, and don't know anyone that owns anything except the G26, and he blew me off twice now. So, I'm limited to your recommendations and opinions, picking all of them up in my lgs, and dry firing in the store. I'm looking to buy around Friday - so get your thoughts in quick!

If you could let me know why you picked what you picked, it'd be awesome.

Thanks!

My first choice would be the HK P2000 but for what you want, I would probably go with the compact version. My full size in .40 has very minimal recoil and has never failed with 1000+ rounds since the day I purchased it. My second choice would be the glock 26. I don't own one but they are small, reliable, and cheap. You could use the left over money to buy a good leather gun belt and a nice holster. All the choices you have are great guns. They are all reliable and range in price greatly so pick what points and feels good to you.

"I tend to wear more snug fitting shirts, and summer gets pretty warm, so I want something smaller, 9mm."

Just from that statement I would limit my search to single stack magazines. At least that's my thought. I still prefer carrying my P9 over my M&Pc

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P9c HANDS DOWN.... great gun we have 4 M&P's in our family... everyone loves them... others want to get them when they shoot them.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I'm with spec on this one. M&P9c American Made.. Just as reliable as a Glock. Better/ more features, the ergonomics are form fitting to your hand. well balanced and round slide so printing is less than the Blocky Glock.

I carry Mine every day and trust my life with it. well over 800 rounds and still flawless. (one fail to eject, but that was with some crap cheap ammo.)

In all reality you should get the M&P40 compact.. same size as the M&P9c and plus all the controls are the same on the M&P platform, and you can carry your full size M&P40 magazines as back-up or in your truck.

What fits you best? What has the features and is the size you like? handle them, and pick the one you like best....

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow59 View Post
    I'm with spec on this one. M&P9c American Made.. Just as reliable as a Glock. Better/ more features, the ergonomics are form fitting to your hand. well balanced and round slide so printing is less than the Blocky Glock.

I carry Mine every day and trust my life with it. well over 800 rounds and still flawless. (one fail to eject, but that was with some crap cheap ammo.)

In all reality you should get the M&P40 compact.. same size as the M&P9c and plus all the controls are the same on the M&P platform, and you can carry your full size M&P40 magazines as back-up or in your truck.

yes and you can get a magazine extension for the full size magazines and have multiple options for the compact..... I agree with Shadow why have to retrain yourself on a new platform? no thanks... I'd rather prefect my shot on the same type/feel of a gun. Also to add to Shadow's comment you won't have to get new holsters the M&Pcompact will fit into the full size holsters (well most holsters)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I am a big fan of XD's. I have a 9mm in the 4 inch barrel and one with a 3 inch. I preferr the 3" for inside the shirt. Both will run you just over 500. this will leave you with some extra $ to spend for ammo. Have some fun and go find your smile.

Well, first of all, you can't buy anything with your tax return. However, your refund might buy you something. I cast a vote for the little Ruger, but among those you've listed, it is really too close to call between the Ruger, the Walther PPS and the Glock 26. Given your comments, your best choice is not listed: The Kimber Ultra Aegis.

I have to agree with some of these other guys and say stay with the M&P. Why change platforms when you already have a pistol you are comfortable with and all the gear you need? But if you are going to be wearing snugger clothes I'd go with a single stack. In which case I'd go with the Walther PPS because IIRC its a similar trigger system.
    XD45c, XD9sc, LCP

As ned flanders would say, I'm in a dilly of a pickle. I like the ergos and feel of my M&P 40 full size, but I don't like the thickness of it. However, the glock name and how I feel about my current Smith makes the G26 and M&P9c runners. Tighter shirts / shorts is driving the purchase, so I'm feeling single stack may be the way to go. I don't know much about the H&K, other than it's a good name, and a reliable gun. Similarly, the Sig I like for the name/reliability, but not sure about the da/sa action. I like the slimness of the walther from a printing perspective, but don't like that I feel like I'm gripping a ruler, nor do I care for the mag release. I'm cautious w/the LC9, because it's new, and who knows what'll be wrong with it. More input please!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Since you're so fond of the M&P 40, the natural choice would be the M&P 9c unless you're looking for something "different." I find the M&Ps point more naturally for me, but I wouldn't give up my G30 for that reason alone. If I were starting over, perhaps the M&P would get a closer look.

"Tighter shirts / shorts" may not be practical for CC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Couple of other minor points: In a CHL renewal class I taught last month, one of my students showed up with a brand new Ruger LC9 he'd bought for his wife. Neither of them had fired it. Straight out of the box, it never missed a lick for the 50-round COF, and it hit where he aimed it. I liked the way it looked and felt, though I did not shoot it. Not exactly a torture test, for sure, but it passed that brief test with flying colors. Also, as regards clothing, dress to the gun, don't gun to the dress.

I voted for the HK P2000, although I'd suggest the SK version or a P30.

One of my carry pistols is a P2000 SK and it's been exceptional in every way.

It's a tack driver and reliable to a fault.

My other carry is an HK USP .45C.

The Glock, M&P and PPS are great options too.

I own a 9mm PPS and a 9mm M&P. IMO, they are top tier sidearms.

What I really like about them, is that they run any and all ammo with zero malfunctions.

When we're discussing SD handguns, dead nuts reliability is paramount IMO.

Good luck with your search OP. Let us know what you buy.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I voted for the G26, yet to have any trouble with mine. I like the fact that I could most likely go in to any gun store in America and get a magazine that will work in it. However you should get what you like best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links