About Mass Produced Guns

This is a discussion on About Mass Produced Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mama always said stupid is as stupid does....or says in his case....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About Mass Produced Guns

Mama always said stupid is as stupid does....or says in his case.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I don't know, a new Camaro SS would be an awful lot of fun.
    I'd rather have the new Camaro ZL1.

Administrator
    It takes 15 CNC machine hours to produce a GLOCK slide. Just FYI.

Well my two best shooters are more expensive guns. Better triggers, very reliable - smoother. But my cheaper guns have also been completely reliable - are fun to shoot and I don't mind if they get a little abused while carrying etc... More money can certainly aquire a "nicer" pistol but a small amount of money can still get a lot of quality and reliablility with today's manufacturing and design.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

So indulge my thirst for learning....what brands/models (if any) that are currently in production, stand above Glock, XDM etc in terms of construction quality and smooth triggers?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    So indulge my thirst for learning....what brands/models (if any) that are currently in production, stand above Glock, XDM etc in terms of construction quality and smooth triggers?
    I'll get the popcorn.

Mass produced means just that, think about this, all of the following are massed produced and have proven to be deadly and have killed millions of folks: m-1, m-14, m-16, ak-47, 1911 and too many more to name.

That is subjective i guess but i much prefer my CZ to a Glock. The design is proven reliable and it shoots better to me. That doesn't mean it does to every one. It cost about the same as an average glock. My little 738 shoots good for under $300.00 but that's compared to an LCP - Not a CZ. Like I said a little money can get a lot of quality these days. My 96 had to have a trigger job to become a good shooter and it's the most expensive pistol i own. But everything else about it worked the best out of the box of any weapon i ever owned and still does
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    I'd rather have the new Camaro ZL1.
    That would certainly qualify for fun as well. ;)
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Ill put my Z06 up against any BMW for FUN FACTOR! Not comfort but FUN
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    some people will say anything to sell something!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Lead Moderator
    Get back on track, this isn't a car forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Curious, i was a sporting goods store salesman an older guy, former cop, marines etc, tells me that glock, SA XDM, are all mass produced generic guns and nothing special. XDM he says has "too much inside that can wear down." he says Sig, H&K, Kimber etc all much better choices for the up cost. I'm still on the learning curve here, was this guy full of it or bluntly truthful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    some people will say anything to sell something!!!
    I think people missed the fact that the OP said the HE was the salesman, not the guy complaining about the mass-produced generic guns.

Nope i was the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    I think people missed the fact that the OP said the HE was the salesman, not the guy complaining about the mass-produced generic guns.

Administrator
    I think it boils down to the individuals definition of better. Personally, I think it is better to pay for a premium brand. But, I'm not foolish enough to think that a Glock wouldn't serve me well because of the numbers it is produced in. There are plenty of lower cost brands and models that are great for their intended purpose.

Its well known that I don't care for the XD line. I have my reasons (I'm not going to debate it here). Do I think they are a poor choice? Yeah, I do. But, Springfield did a good job stamping their name and bringing a reasonable quality pistol to market at a competitive price. They took a little known Croatian pistol, renamed and branded it. They brought it to market as a Glock like pistol with some extra feel goods added aimed at the homeowner/entry level market. They have done well with it.

Glock has been doing it for 20 years and have become the flagship poster gun for combat pistols worldwide. Its hard to argue with that.They have kept it simple and know that you can't be good at everything. Gaston, as stubborn as he is, is right. Stick with what you know.

HK does build a really nice gun, but they are way to proud of them. Their customer service just plain sucks and I won't buy one for that reason. (Even though I really want a P2000, I just cant bring myself to do it.) Are they worth the price? I don't think so.

Sig has been known as the premium combat pistol for years now. They are not cheap. Recently, I think Sig has been spreading themselves a little thin and some will argue quality has suffered. I'm not happy with some of the changes, but I haven't seen where the changes have really made a difference to the end user. Stick with a P series gun, and you will have a premium combat pistol that others will envy.

Kimber has built their company on premium 1911's. They did it really well for a number of years. But, they have done the classic bad business move; they tried to get to big to fast and also spread themselves way to thin. They have far to many models for them to realistically keep up with. If you go with a niche model, you're asking for trouble. Stick with the bread and butter Classic, Royal 1911 in the caliber 1911's are supposed to be, you will be fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links