About Mass Produced Guns

This is a discussion on About Mass Produced Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So back to my earlier question, what are the premium brands? Originally Posted by SIXTO I think it boils down to the individuals definition of ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About Mass Produced Guns

So back to my earlier question, what are the premium brands?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think it boils down to the individuals definition of better. Personally, I think it is better to pay for a premium brand. But, I'm not foolish enough to think that a Glock wouldnt serve me well because of the numbers it is produced in. There are plenty of lower cost brands and models that are great for their intended purpose.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Nope i was the customer.
    I guess I misinterpreted your statement that you were a salesman to mean that you were the salesman in this case.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    For carry and pure durability I think glock has the best track record of all time. I like Glocks, Colts, Smith&Wesson, and HK for handguns, but keep two things in mind about that statement There are others that are very good I just might not like them that well and Never buy a cheapy! just cuz it has a good name behind it doesn't mean that everything they make is good.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I am a bit lost on the argument SIG Glock Chevy BMW ////// They are all mass produced...........

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Is a BMW really a better car than a Chevy?
    Yes, there is no debating that a BMW is a better car. Even if its a Corvette or Camaro. If someone thinks the Chevy's stack up, obviously they've never been in a BMW.

As for the guns, as long as it works well for you and isn't on the low end like a high point, go for it.

My buddy has an H&K that though it is a great gun, performed just as well as my old Ruger P90. Whose pistol will last the test of time, who knows?

Administrator
    I added a lot to post 30, so that should answer some questions. As far as the premium brands... that just depends on what you are looking for. All of them have some great pistols, and all of them have turds in their line ups too. The most consistent (good) has to be Glock. Sig, S&W, HK, Glock, Beretta (92 series) and CZ are my most recommended choices for a full size combat pistol.

But, your other thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d.php?t=119754 leads me to believe that you are looking for a compact carry gun. That is another ball game entirely. I think you are confusing yourself and clouding judgment by casting to wide of a net with out identifying your target. There are just to many choices.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am buying pm9, now looking for a high quality full size 9mm sa that is lefty friendly. Thanks

VIP Member
    Glock G17 or G19, Sig P226, S&W M&P9, Beretta 92F are full size models to consider...
    G19 is one that fits into the full size/compact category. It's one of the best 9's out there IMO.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Curious, i was a sporting goods store salesman an older guy, former cop, marines etc, tells me that glock, SA XDM, are all mass produced generic guns and nothing special. XDM he says has "too much inside that can wear down." he says Sig, H&K, Kimber etc all much better choices for the up cost. I'm still on the learning curve here, was this guy full of it or bluntly truthful?
    Those are the kind of guys I tell "Stop giving me BS or I'll take my business somewhere else." It usually keeps them honest - a $500 sale is better than no sale at all.

PS. I have a Glock 17 for a full size / home defense gun and I love it. My brother has a Beretta 92fs and I love it even more.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Ok Glock 19 or XDM what are the pluses and minuses?

Glock vrs XD?

Watch this; it make a lot of sense:

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Yes, there is no debating that a BMW is a better car. Even if its a Corvette or Camaro. If someone thinks the Chevy's stack up, obviously they've never been in a BMW.
    Actually, I have been in, driven and worked on both along with many other brands. When you say stack up, do you mean the cost of purchase, or of minor repairs, oil changes, engine, or transmission overhauls, lifetime operating cost per mile. What are you stacking up?

When your looking at guns, unless price is of absolutely no concern, there are plenty of good guns across a wide range of pricing. They all go bang, they all will last the lifetime of most shooters if maintained properly. It really all depends on what you want from the gun. Some low to mid priced guns run as good or better than some of the over priced guns. I say overpriced because if they are 2, 3, 4 times as expensive as their counterparts but don't work better or as well then your simply spending money on a name.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

"Mass produced" as a derisive term probably originated back (1960's) when the Japanese started flooding the market with all kinds of products made on first-generation production lines that could produce huge numbers of widgits of mediocre (or worse) quality. Times change. It's the 21st century.

We all get a warm fuzzy when we hear a term like "hand crafted" or such. Who doesn't equate "Swiss watchmaker" with quality? But the Swiss watchmaking industry want down the tubes because "mass produced" electronic watches came out that keep better time at 1/20 the price (or less), and no maintenance. The fact is, with modern manufacturing techniques, CNC, laser measurement, etc., no human craftsman can match the quality of a state-of-the art production line, at least not at anything approaching a comparable price. That's not to say that there isn't still mass-produced junk out there, but "hand-crafted" no longer equates to "better".

As I posted earlier on another thread, NO gun is worth $1500+ solely on the basis of it's mechanical merits, when you can buy something for $500 that will perform just as well, and last just as long. It's collectibility and/or intangible qualities that make the high-dollar guns worth the price (for some). I like a higher-end piece just as much as the next guy, but I have no illusions (delusions?) about why I buy them.

If I have a sudden, urgent need for a .357 Magnum, do I really care if it's my Python, a 686, or an SP101? Probably not. Will the Python serve me "better" at that critical moment? No. But I sure like it better!

In the 21st century, "mass produced" probably means "higher quality" rather than "junk". OK, off my soapbox...

Regards,
    Jim

The car analogy does not work for guns because the cost of raw materials is pretty insignificant.

A better analogy is Jeans. You can buy a crappy pair of jeans, or you can buy a decent pair. Among the decent pairs, you can choose to spend more for a specific name brand but it's not actually any better.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    The car analogy does not work for guns because the cost of raw materials is pretty insignificant.

A better analogy is Jeans. You can buy a crappy pair of jeans, or you can buy a decent pair. Among the decent pairs, you can choose to spend more for a specific name brand but it's not actually any better.
    Really?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links