About Mass Produced Guns

This is a discussion on About Mass Produced Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious, i was a sporting goods store salesman an older guy, former cop, marines etc, tells me that glock, SA XDM, are all mass produced ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: About Mass Produced Guns

About Mass Produced Guns

Curious, i was a sporting goods store salesman an older guy, former cop, marines etc, tells me that glock, SA XDM, are all mass produced generic guns and nothing special. XDM he says has "too much inside that can wear down." he says Sig, H&K, Kimber etc all much better choices for the up cost. I'm still on the learning curve here, was this guy full of it or bluntly truthful?

2. Remove Ads

God some gun store salesmen are better served just shutting up.

Is a BMW really a better car than a Chevy?

They both get you where you need to go, and if taken care of they both will last you a long long time.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yeah he's full of it. Theres some truth to wear and durability vs. cost but not always, mostly just on the extreme end of cheap does that come into play (i.e. Hi-point). What really matters is fit, finish, and preference. I own an HK USP compact in .40 S&W and I bought my Dad a Glock 23 (same caliber, same size). The HK is normally much more expensive (I got a special deal with mine though) and I prefer it as a more refined gun. Both are equaly reliable but I prefer the fit, finish and feel of my HK, and in 1600+ rounds its ALWAYS gone bang. Is it worth the 200-300 dollar premium to the Glock? Thats debatable. I think the Glock is a better value, but I'll take my HK. I would never put money down that a Sig or HK will last longer than an XD or Glock, or visa versa. All the guns you listed are good guns with unique characteristics, but provided you don't get a lemon they would all serve you. Pick the one that fits your hand and you like best for your application (carry, Home defense, etc).

VIP Member
    He is probably on a commission. If he can convince you to pay $700 to $1,200 for a gun he eats better than if you spend $400 to $600. His arguments are nonsense except for the commission angle.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The fact that he said Kimber is a better choice made me spit up my soda. LOL

What an jerk!

The only thing he said that was right -- HK makes the best production pistols available today, IMO.
    Last edited by rstickle; February 15th, 2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Language workaround
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

His comments are baseless. Here's a fact for you though that most people don't realize: just because a person was a LEO/Marine/Soldier/Sailor or what have you DOES NOT make them an expert in all things firearm related. Most people in the military know how to use the standard issue weapons of their branch, and I know for a fact that a friend of mine in the USN was only trained with the Mossberg 500 and M9 and was clueless in the use and operation of the AR-15/M16 weapons platform. Now if the person was some sort of operator or was in one of the distinctly elite branches of the armed services (SEAL, Force Recon, etc.) then I might take their word on weapons that they had personally used and trained on.

I'm a research and hands on kind of guy. Research points you in the right direction, and hands on time will flesh the details out.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Is a BMW really a better car than a Chevy?

They both get you where you need to go, and if taken care of they both will last you a long long time.
    Excellent point.

But you and I both know driving the BMW is much more fun. Probably safer too.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Unbelievable. I do like the BMW/Chevy analogy. A 92FS..all metal and crafted by skilled machinists is the same price as a Glock, a polymer designed, technological breakthrough in firearms. Both mass produced, both a good value, both tougher than nails. Ruger's especially a P-95 are downright affordable and is renowned for durability and longevity. If you stick with reputable manufacturers regardless of the price, you will have a fine firearm. I own a SIG (it's mass-produced by the way) and it's an excellent firearm, but so are the others. Sorry to hear about XD's, I just bought one of those too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Depends on which Beemer and which Chevy. A Vette will out fun any Beemer and I would rather get hit in a Suburban than most any Beemer. Now a Beemer over a Cobalt, I see your point.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You can keep all of those, gimme a jeep or toyota so I can reliably low and slow it over the roughest terrain. Which is why I prefer Glock or Sig

VIP Member
    Unless your talking thousands of dollars for a custom built gun, they are all mass produced.

Don't worry about the sales counter expert, get what you can afford and works for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Excellent point.

I don't know, a new Camaro SS would be an awful lot of fun.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

You should have told him about the Glock and XD torture testing with 1000's of rounds. Heck you should have shown him the Hi-Point torture testing on You Tube !!! God Bless

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links