Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference? - Page 2

Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference?

This is a discussion on Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shoot both and then make up your own mind. They both will do the job. Which one you like more is your choice. Mine was ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference?

Shoot both and then make up your own mind. They both will do the job. Which one you like more is your choice. Mine was Kel-Tec and extra ammo for practice. Neither will be your range play gun of choice.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Kahr also introduced the Kahr CM9 at SHOT 2011. The price should be much lower than the PM9.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=118521&page=1

Another vote for the PM9. I love mine, & I've never given a second thought about the cost.

I once sold a drag race motor to buy a wedding ring. I still look at my wife's finger and second guess that transaction.

los
    I'm a little late to the party, but here's my contribution... :)

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    The PF-9 is a neat little gun. I really like KelTecs stuff. They build a "poor mans" gun and do a good job of it. I have several of their pistols and like them all. Kahr is the king of micro's and I won't trade my PM9 for nothing. Its a far better pistol than the KelTec even though the PF9 holds its own.

Is the quality and workmanship in the Kahr better? You bet it is. Look at it this way; If you invest in copper it will always be worth copper prices when you sell. If you invest in gold, you will be dealing with gold prices when you sell. I hope that makes sense.

I guess the real question is, how much does the $400 difference mean to you? If it means not paying the rent or feeding the kids, stick with the PF9. If its just a different number subtracted in the check book, go with the Kahr.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i went through this exact same decision about a year ago between the Kel Tec pf9,Kahr pm9,and the Kahr cw9..after doing alot of research and reading all the reviews i settled on the Kahr cw9..i would definitely say Kahr is a better made handgun,but i'm not sure the pm9 is worth 3x as much as the Kel Tec pf9,that's a huge price difference..i decided on the Kahr cw9, price tag of $400-$450..the new Kahr cm9 is also due out sometime in March, looks like something you might want to look at aswell..

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The PM9 is certainly the superior handgun in every way but only you can decide if its worth the price difference.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Kel-Tec worth the price difference? No. Walther PPS worth the price difference? Absolutely. I have fired the Kel-Tec before, and can tell you that I absolutely hate it. Its really light, and doesn't do such a great job of taming the 9mm cartridge. Your point is to have a carry pistol that you shoot well with, in order to shoot well you have to practice and enjoy it while doing so, constant practice with a Kel-Tec PF9 will not be "enjoyable" no matter who you are. Spend the extra money on a finer, better made firearm. You will enjoy shooting it more, you will shoot it more, and in turn will be better with it and more prepared for a critical incident.
    SGFvr likes this.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Neither

I have had both and BOTH failed me. I could not trust my life to either. So I went back to a G26. Waiting on new crop from Ruger and Sig. Hopefully, they will be much better than Keltec or Kahr.

I own a PM9 and two hard-chrome PF-9s. As others have noted, the Kahr has a superior trigger, FAR superior to the Kel-Tec. All of mine have been reliable. My PF9s both required replacement of sights, as they both shot over a foot high at 15 yards when I got them. Otherwise, they have needed no work. My PM9 has worked perfectly from round one, and I think I have about 300 rounds through it. I don't shoot any of these guns very often. I find the Kel-Tecs to be much snappier and less pleasant to shoot than the Kahr. Worth the difference? Maybe, but that would be up to you.

I have never shot a Kahr, but I had a PF9 for a few months and every chance I get, I badmouth it. That POS malfunctioned more than it ever properly functioned. Yes, others have PF9s that work great for them but I go out of my way to dissuade others from making the same mistake I did.

PF9s look, feel, and function as a cheaply made gun because that is what they are. I could never trust my life to a PF9.

Go with a Kahr or another option from Sig, Ruger or Kimber.

I've been holding off on posting to this thread because, like rammerjammer, my pf9 experience stank! I wanted to love that gun and, for three bills, how could I go wrong? Well, that's just it: it's a cheap gun and you get what you pay for. I wanted a small, lo-cap, 9mm for SD but I also wanted to shoot it with some degree of pleasure/fun and regular functionality.

So I bought a Kahr PM9 and CW9.
    Last edited by CPO 15; February 16th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.

I'll add my $.02

Never shot a kahr, however I'm not a fan of a small pistol at a high price so that's probably why. My PF-9 experience also stunk. I've regretted every gun I've ever sold/traded except my pf-9. After I did the Fluff and Buff it worked pretty reliably but I just didn't like it. I didn't like the feel, the look, hated the trigger and frankly I couldn't shoot it accurately(probably not the guns fault). Now with that said I think the PF-9 is a good gun for the money just didn't suit me. I won't bash Kel-tec because I think they make some fine firearms but the PF-9 gave me nothing except concealability and that's pretty much the last thing I worry about in a pistol because with a good belt and holster I have no problems concealing a full size firearm. Don't miss it one bit.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbr View Post
    CW9 is a great alternative - Excellent quality and great value
    I was going to say this. Bud's had the CW9 for about $380. It's a very nice pistol.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The PF-9 is a neat little gun. I really like KelTecs stuff. They build a "poor mans" gun and do a good job of it. I have several of their pistols and like them all. Kahr is the king of micro's and I won't trade my PM9 for nothing. Its a far better pistol than the KelTec even though the PF9 holds its own.

Is the quality and workmanship in the Kahr better? You bet it is. Look at it this way; If you invest in copper it will always be worth copper prices when you sell. If you invest in gold, you will be dealing with gold prices when you sell. I hope that makes sense.

I guess the real question is, how much does the $400 difference mean to you? If it means not paying the rent or feeding the kids, stick with the PF9. If its just a different number subtracted in the check book, go with the Kahr.
    ^^^^ This. Love my PM9... but KelTec makes damn good cheap guns.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links