Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference? - Page 4

Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference?

This is a discussion on Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned a Kahr before and it was a fine pistol but I held the Keltec PF9 today and was very impressed with it. ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference?

I have owned a Kahr before and it was a fine pistol but I held the Keltec PF9 today and was very impressed with it. The trigger pull is much smoother also at 5lbs vs the hundred dollar more Ruger LC9 and just feels better in my hand. I have never owned a Kel tec so I will give them a shot. If I hate it i can always trade it back in and get another Kahr PM either in 9 or 40 or hold out and get the more practical priced identical size Kahr CM9 which from what i have read shoots just as well as the more expensive PM..Let me get this Kel Tec to the range and I will give you folks a decent range report next time i'm off.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

That little PF9 is small enough for pocket carry no problem...it's even thinner than the Kahr PM..
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Another vote for the PM9. Worth the money for it's size, match accuracy and quality. $600 for mine from Jensen Arms in Colorado through Gunbroker.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Without question.

What? No one jumped in and suggested a Glock 26 instead? You guys are slipping..
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Heck, the PM9 is $525 DELIVERED on Budspolicesupplies website. Just about anyone qualifies including volunteer firefighters and medics. Can't beat that with a stick.
    Destroys the 2x or 4x price theory.

Having shot both the Kahr PM9 and KelTec PF9, I can attest that the Kahr is much easier to shoot. The KelTec is much more "snappy" and you will get trigger-finger bite from it. That's not a deal-breaker, since these guns aren't supposed to be range workhorses. If you have to use either in a real life situation, you'll just be glad it's going "bang bang bang."

But the Kahr is much more comfortable. The CM9 gets the price point down quite a bit if cost is an issue.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The Kahr PM9 is a very fine weapon. 500+ rounds since I got it a month ago and not one fail!
    Tom

"A free people ought... to be armed... "
    George Washington, 1790

NRA Endowment Member, CCRKBA Life Member, JPFO Life Member, GOA Life Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member

I'm a PM9 fan all the way, never had a PF9 but had and sold a P3AT... I actually liked that gun a lot, but it was like a bad relationship. It couldn't hold up it's end.

My 2 cents: I couldn't imagine anything more mission-critical than the carry gun... if the kids are going hungry over it, than no. If not, why would you go cheap? People say you could get two decent guns or three cheap for the price of 1 Kahr... but at that crucial moment that we all pray never comes, your going to have 1 in your hand.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

I was seriously considering a PF-9 but when I was looking at them at a local gun store they had three in stock. One was the olive color, which I did not care for, one was black but the front site was messed up, the hole in it with the white dot was not centered right and the paint was not filling the hole completely. The blue one that I really wanted would not lock the slide back. The salesman fiddled with it but he couldn't get it to lock back either. I started thinking, two out of three with manufacturing defects makes you wonder about the quality control on the whole gun.

I know the sight issue would be an easy fix, and maybe the slide lock would too, but if I am paying $400 for a new gun it should work right out of the box.
    I do appreciate the size and weight factor, and I didn't think there was a $400 difference between the kahr and the keltec to begin with.

I just bought a PF9 on Friday paid $298 OTD. I shot a half a box through it at thought it shot pretty good. I had some hang ups here and there. I went home and blew out all the factory goop with brake cleaner and smoothed a few surfaces and reoiled it. I went back and ran a hundred or so flawless rounds and I drifted the site and the 1" red dot on the target dissapeared at 7 yrds. I know its no target gun but I shoot as good if not better than I do my Glock 26 and it will fit in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    If you shoot a PM9 and then a PF9 you will see the justification.
    I shot a PM9 vs a PF9, the Kahr trigger is too long, vague, and mushy. KelTec has a definite DA smooth stroke and solid break. I had an early PF9 that supposedly had a few issues, but never experienced on. Now I have a later model with all the improvements and it also runs great.

I carry it all the time, and take it to the range periodically. Love this little guy.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    I'm a PM9 fan all the way, never had a PF9 but had and sold a P3AT... I actually liked that gun a lot, but it was like a bad relationship. It couldn't hold up it's end.

My 2 cents: I couldn't imagine anything more mission-critical than the carry gun... if the kids are going hungry over it, than no. If not, why would you go cheap? People say you could get two decent guns or three cheap for the price of 1 Kahr... but at that crucial moment that we all pray never comes, your going to have 1 in your hand.
    I'll just ditto this, but replace P3AT with LCP :)

P7
    Absolutely worht the difference.

Kahr PM40 here., same gun but larger caliber. I've never shot the PF9, but I have dry fired it a few times at the GS. IMO, the trigger on the Kahrs are just about unequaled in the DAO semi-auto format.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links