Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference?

This is a discussion on Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased my NIB PF9 at a gun show for $235 back in October 2010. Can't beat that with a stick !!! God Bless...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kel Tec PF9 vs Kahr pm9 worth the large price difference?

I purchased my NIB PF9 at a gun show for $235 back in October 2010. Can't beat that with a stick !!! God Bless

2. Remove Ads

Has the trigger on the PF9 improved any since they first came out? I bought one when it initially came out and it had numerous problems (one of which was the barrel. On the first ones, they were using a P11 barrel in the PF9! they replaced it but dang!). I remember the trigger was like fighting a Marlin fish on a pole...super heavy.

I was considering buying a Ruger lc9, but after reading "Gun tests" review of it, I'm considering other options.

I dont feel as if I sacraficed or settled for anything by going PF9. Light, accurate and reliable and in my pocket today.

The way I see it, it's the difference between say a Pontiac Vibe and a Buick Enclave...sure both have got four doors and a hatch and will get you where you need to go, but one is definitely a lot more comfortable, refined, and better built than the other. If you've got the money to spare, go ahead and get yourself the PM9, you won't be disappointed. I know I love my Kahr.

But if you don't, that PF9 will work just fine. I had the opportunity to handle (not shoot) a PF9 once. I wasn't a fan of it's feel, looks, or trigger...let's face it, it is a cheap gun. But none of that stuff matters when you consider from the testimony of owners that it will do exactly what you need it to do if the time comes...work.

It's much the same as the car analogy. Ask yourself if you are looking for basic, reliable transportation or something a little more, and make the decision from there.

Is it worth the price difference? That's up to you. I'd say yes based on fit and finish, and trigger feel. One of the biggest compliments given to Kahrs is their excellent DAO trigger feel, while I personally felt the Kel-Tec was on the opposite end of the spectrum. But it's not necessarily true that the extra money is going to buy you a gun that's any more reliable or accurate than the Kel-Tec.

My advice is to handle both and decide if the difference in feel is worth the difference in price to you.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I've done quite an extensive search on this topic. I initially asked the question the wrong way. "Was PM9 worth the double of a PF9?" Well ... it's hard to answer that in the positive of whether it is worth double over the other.
    Then I asked a different question. Based on each of the qualities of the products were they worth the price they were asking for?

Although I have neither, the conclusion I've come up with is that the PF9 and the PM9 are absolutely worth their respective prices. I know that doesn't necessarily help, but phrasing the question that way helped me.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloman View Post
    Has the trigger on the PF9 improved any since they first came out? I bought one when it initially came out and it had numerous problems (one of which was the barrel. On the first ones, they were using a P11 barrel in the PF9! they replaced it but dang!). I remember the trigger was like fighting a Marlin fish on a pole...super heavy.

I was considering buying a Ruger lc9, but after reading "Gun tests" review of it, I'm considering other options.
    I haven't seen the Gun tests review of the LC9, however I did conduct a two part review of the pistol and in the end found that it didn't suit my needs. Here's part two, the shooting review, of the LC9.

The new Kahr CM9 is out now, which is a lower cost alternative to the PM9. I posted a link to my review of that pistol in this thread: Kahr CM9 Review
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Had a KelTec PF-9, but the trigger hurt my fingers and it was very harsh to fire. I liked the size and cost, but if I can't stand to practice, I won't use it.

Sold it and bought a Kahr CW9. After 200+ rounds break-in, it is a smooth, accurate shooter and I love to practice with it. More expensive that the PF-9, but less than the PM-9.

Just my 2 cents.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not...." - Thomas Jefferson

T45
    I think I'll keep my PF-9 for a while. It CC very well and is very reliable. My trigger has smoothed out also after several hundred rounds. nothing against the Kahr, it is a fine gun.

Neither...if you cant seriously practice and train with it (2 or 3 mags worth once a month is not serious ccw training)...its not worth having as a ccw...just a novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    Neither...if you cant seriously practice and train with it (2 or 3 mags worth once a month is not serious ccw training)...its not worth having as a ccw...just a novelty.
    I totally disagree.

I've never handled the Kahr, but I do own a PF9. I've been very pleased w/ my PF9. It fulfills the job requirements for me: sufficiently accurate, reliable and easy to conceal. Is it pretty? Nope, but that wasn't one of my requirements. I've got a number of nice looking guns, but I don't carry them very much, if any. The recoil is snappy, but I expect that w/ such a small and light gun chambered for the 9mm. I've never found myself avoiding shooting the PF9 because of it's recoil. I would like to handle/shoot a Kahr some day just to see what I'm missing, but until then I'm very content w/ my PF9 and will continue to carry it w/ confidence.

After shooting a PF9 and a CW9 recently, and buying a CW9 of my own, I can tell you that yes, the Kahr is well worth the price difference. Go with he Kahr.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I can't speak for the PM9, but I can say that I LOVE my Kel-Tec PF-9.

It's been 100% reliable, no "fluff & buff" needed. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate it is, and the recoil is NOT anywhere near as bad as the oft-repeated hype. Is it snappy? A little bit, I suppose. Is it painful or uncontrollable? Absolutely not.

My PF9 is still going strong. Now, when I can get my hands on a CM9, we'll see if there's a need for a switch.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I did a lot of research before buying my PF9. The early issues have been fixed from what I can tell. I am sure that the price point on the PF9 was good (at least for me) as I got it for $299.00 out the door. That includes our wonderful 8% tax or course. I have yet to shoot it (maybe this afternoon) and I expect it to be a little snappy. But then so is my LCP. Anyway, for price and size I chose the Kel Tec to increase my horse power over the LCP. I also pocket carry so anything larger (length or thickness) would not work for me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links