BHP vs. Hk P30

BHP vs. Hk P30

This is a discussion on BHP vs. Hk P30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now, here's the decision. I have always wanted a Browning High Power T series (Belgium made). High capacity and proven realibility. The HK P30 is ...

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose? Please read post before you vote.

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Browning High Power T-series

16 40.00%
  • HK P30

24 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BHP vs. Hk P30

BHP vs. Hk P30

Now, here's the decision. I have always wanted a Browning High Power T series (Belgium made). High capacity and proven realibility.

The HK P30 is also high capacity in 9mm and I owned one and regret selling.:( It also, in my humble but accurate opinion:) is an outstanding weapon.

I can't decide which would serve my purpose better. Also, I had a P30 DA/SA and think the LEM trigger would be a bit risky for my wife. Comments on that welcomed.

Please don't tell me get a Glock, or get a Sig...start a thread to that view point. I just want your thoughts on the pros and cons of these two weapons for wife and home defense, with a consideration of my "lust" for a BHP.:D Thanks for you evaluation and advice.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I own a Mk III Browning, and I am currently considering an HKP30. My EDC was the BHP until I bought a HK USP45c. You say you think the LEM trigger would be risky for your wife. Is this going to be a gun for her? IMO a conventional single action like the BHP would be more risky than the LEM. My HK USP45c has a LEM and I'm sold on that trigger design. The P30 comes in different variants with different LEM pull weights. You may want to consider one of these.

Of the guns I own, my Browning has to be my personal favorite, but I always find myself carrying my HK. There are times when I wish it was in 9mm, which is why I'm also looking at a P30.
    --
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.

"I can't decide which would serve my purpose better."

Before I vote, what is/are your purpose(s)?

I love the BHP, have a MkII and MkIII, the guns I'll never get rid of. They're accurate and works of art.

First let me say I have two BHP pistols. My first was a Charles Daly Hi-Power. I am a lefty so I added a C&S ambidextrous safety. Lust was born and I bought a MK III Browning Hi-Power. Both are amazing pistols that I love to shoot. I have carried them, but the weight has gotten to me and I carry a Kahr CW9. Being a left handed shooter I took a long hard look at the P2000. I have to assume that the P30 will be an improvement on the P2000? I have not been able to shoot either a P2000 or P30. Has your wife shoot the P30? I have shot an HK USP compact and it is well made. Is this pistol for her to carry or for home defense?

If this pistol is to be a carry pistol then I would go with the P30 and save your money to buy a BHP! You will never be sorry about owning a BHP, one of a kind!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

The Browning is the better choice.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

HP - It's a classic and will make you cool!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

OK I have to throw something out there. I love single action only guns but if you do not train with them all the time then I don't recommend them. You said that it was for your wife correct? If so, I would only recommend the Browning if she is going to shoot and train with it a pretty good bit. If not, I would go with the P30 because it is a gun that all you have to do is pull the trigger and it goes bang. The Browning you either have to cock the hammer if you carry hammer down which I don't recommend or you have to remember to flip off the safety if you have it cocked n locked. Remembering to deactivate the safety on a handgun during a stressful situation usually only happens when the person is very used to training with the gun. It is not for everyone in my opinion.

IMO, the P30 wins. Light weight, easily customized, ambi controls, and pic rail. Since you mentioned HD and not carry, have you considered the P30L? The P30L has a better balance (at least for me) and shares all of the same characteristics as the P30 with the exception (of course) to barrel and slide length. I own a total of five P30s in various setups and this is my chosen, standardized platform.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trev869 View Post
    OK I have to throw something out there. I love single action only guns but if you do not train with them all the time then I don't recommend them. You said that it was for your wife correct? If so, I would only recommend the Browning if she is going to shoot and train with it a pretty good bit. If not, I would go with the P30 because it is a gun that all you have to do is pull the trigger and it goes bang. The Browning you either have to cock the hammer if you carry hammer down which I don't recommend or you have to remember to flip off the safety if you have it cocked n locked. Remembering to deactivate the safety on a handgun during a stressful situation usually only happens when the person is very used to training with the gun. It is not for everyone in my opinion.
    Well stated! I love the Browning and almost bought one for my wife. She doesn't train because she can't (disability). I re-thought the situation and bought her a S&W 586 .357 revolver. She can shoot my 1911's, but only if I'm there to remind her not to cross her weak thumb over her strong thumb. Slide bite is painful and messy! If your bride will practice A LOT, the Browning would be a good choice. Otherwise, go DA.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

P30, hands down. An easier gun to maintain and use.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

looks like the poll is 50 50 ... I went with the BHP (just because I love them not that it is better persay) but you do not have a down side either way................

I've shot the BHP and own a P2000sk LEM. I'd go with the P30 with the light LEM trigger. There is no external safety lever other than simply keeping your finger off the trigger. Very simple. The longer trigger pull before it is ready to fire offers plenty of safety margin. The light pull helps accuracy and comfort. I've had 60ish female coworkers shoot my HK (.40 no less!) and prefer it over .38 SP101, SW 9mm and a few others. (My USPf .45 was just too large for a good hand fit.)

P30, reliable and easy maintenance.

Cool

My 1964 T-Series............ that's my vote.

P01093655.jpgP01093448.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

A most attractive Hi-Power, Old School. Glad to see you get the ball rolling, showing a fine representative specimen of a delightful pistol.

Not caring at all for any lightweight aluminum alloy or plastic pistols, I prefer the balance of the all-steel Hi-Power and it's heavier weight. I'm uninterested in rails and particularly don't want things hanging off my handgun. The Hi-Power is single action in design which I greatly prefer over other systems. The design of the grip frame on the Hi-Power is excellent, giving good feel and control. I prefer the Hi-Power over all other 9mm pistols.

My Hi-Power is an early post-World War II commercial model. It is east to shoot well and gives perfectly satisfactory function.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links