Kimber Custom II

This is a discussion on Kimber Custom II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everyone, I've been gone a little while, it's nice to be back. Anywho, I added the shotgun I was looking for (which I tore ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Custom II

Kimber Custom II

Hey Everyone,

I've been gone a little while, it's nice to be back.

Anywho, I added the shotgun I was looking for (which I tore up the trap range last weekend with ) so I'm back looking for my next gun.

I've narrowed it down to the SIG P238 and the Kimber Custom II. I've already had a really good P238 discussion here, so I'm ready to have a good one on the Custom II.

So, who has one? What do you like or dislike about it? Would you recommend it? I'm interested in any thoughts that anyone has to offer.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Greg
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Of all the 1911s I've had, Kimber is one of two makers that I would not purchase from again.

Don't Shoot the Messenger, Why I Don't Endorse Kimber

Don't Shoot the Messenger: Another Reason to Not Endorse Kimber...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    While there are many happy Kimber owners out there, I think it just shows the level of hit/miss with their QC. A Kimber that runs, runs very well. One that doesn't run will make you want to slit your wrists. For what Kimber charges I'm not willing to risk purchasing from them anymore.

Rust prone barrels, improperly cut feed ramps, some questionable MIM parts history, varying reports on customer service etc...no thanks, for the money give me a Springfield or Colt.

Is there a certain niche you are trying to fill in your collection? Those firearms have significantly different roles.

I personally prefer Springfield to Kimber.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Interesting information there. So you'd say something like the SA 1911 for the similar price?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Is there a certain niche you are trying to fill in your collection? Those firearms have significantly different roles.

I personally prefer Springfield to Kimber.
    Funny that you mention the wildly different weapons. Truth is I don't need either gun. The P238 would give me a smaller carry option than my P239, which would be nice during the summer. The 1911 is a classic American weapon that I would just love to own. Not only could I carry it, but I hear they're amazingly fun to shoot.

Eventually I'll get both, for those particular reasons. I'm hashing out which to actually by on my own, just trying to settle on which 1911 to consider vs. the P238.

This is just my personal opinion, and I sound like a broken record in 1911 threads. But I think the Springfield Armory Loaded models are one of the best values when it comes to non-custom 1911's.

It has all the upgrades most people want on 1911's anyways, and the price point isn't too bad. They tend to be accurate, and reliable, and are backed up with Springfield's awesome customer service.

The only thing I don't like about them is the full-length guide rod, but that is an easy fix.

EDIT: I honestly don't need half the guns I own, but I like owning them. But sometimes I am still looking for something to fulfill a very specific role in my collection, thats the only reason I asked. JD said at SHOT show it looked like Colt may be bringing back their Mustang, if I was looking at a 238, and didn't need it right now, I'd wait for the new Mustangs to come out, and then compare the two.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

This is just my personal opinion, and I sound like a broken record in 1911 threads. But I think the Springfield Armory Loaded models are one of the best values when it comes to non-custom 1911's.

It has all the upgrades most people want on 1911's anyways, and the price point isn't too bad. They tend to be accurate, and reliable, and are backed up with Springfield's awesome customer service.

The only thing I don't like about them is the full-length guide rod, but that is an easy fix.

EDIT: I honestly don't need half the guns I own, but I like owning them. But sometimes I am still looking for something to fulfill a very specific role in my collection, thats the only reason I asked. JD said at SHOT show it looked like Colt may be bringing back their Mustang, if I was looking at a 238, and didn't need it right now, I'd wait for the new Mustangs to come out, and then compare the two.
    I'll second buckeye's motion on the SA Loaded model, and I personally own a SA Mil-Spec which I absolutely love!

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I actually just bought a Kimber Custom II. I can not wait to shoot it but as far as where the fit and finish comes i am more than impressed.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Buckeye, when you mention "upgrades" what sort of things are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Buckeye, when you mention "upgrades" what sort of things are you referring to?
    All the things that make the Custom 2 or Loaded stand out from a GI model. Beavertail safety, commander hammer, better sights, lowered and flared ejection port, and flat main spring housing are the first ones that come to mind.

Nothing wrong with GI models either, I carried one for several years before switching over to a Loaded. But, each of those things above makes a 1911 a little more user friendly for me, and a lot of other people seem to think so too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

All the things that make the Custom 2 or Loaded stand out from a GI model. Beavertail safety, commander hammer, better sights, lowered and flared ejection port, and flat main spring housing are the first ones that come to mind.

Nothing wrong with GI models either, I carried one for several years before switching over to a Loaded. But, each of those things above makes a 1911 a little more user friendly for me, and a lot of other people seem to think so too.
    Oh, okay Buckeye that makes sense. Thanks for the information. I'm the type of person that likes to buy quality, so if it improves performance and ease of use then I'll go for it. Looking at the price differences from my preferred retailer, it seems to make sense to go for the upgrades.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Of all the 1911s I've had, Kimber is one of two makers that I would not purchase from again.

Don't Shoot the Messenger, Why I Don't Endorse Kimber

Don't Shoot the Messenger: Another Reason to Not Endorse Kimber...
    Listen to JD, he is not being rude, but trying to show you the light......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Another option for you, is the new Springfield Range Officer: http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...hp?version=154

It has a lot of the same options (I don't know how you feel about adjustable target sights on yours), and from what I have seen they are a fair bit less expensive than the Loadeds.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'm not sure how I'd feel about adjustable target sights, would they present an issue being "accidentally" adjusted?

JD
    Administrator
    Interesting information there. So you'd say something like the SA 1911 for the similar price?
    Yep, Colt, Springfield and S&W any day of the week over a Kimber. I generally prefer Springfield to Colt, but the 2011 guns from Colt are very nicely equipped and will probably get my nod in the future.

Funny that you mention the wildly different weapons. Truth is I don't need either gun. The P238 would give me a smaller carry option than my P239, which would be nice during the summer. The 1911 is a classic American weapon that I would just love to own. Not only could I carry it, but I hear they're amazingly fun to shoot.

Eventually I'll get both, for those particular reasons. I'm hashing out which to actually by on my own, just trying to settle on which 1911 to consider vs. the P238.
    As Buckeye pointed out, Colt is bringing back the Mustang and if you're not in a rush I'd wait and see how the new Mustangs perform.

My original Mustangs are a little rougher than the 238 as far as fit and materials go, but they have a better track record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links