Glock 36 Questions

Glock 36 Questions

This is a discussion on Glock 36 Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another month, when some funds come in, I'm thinking about finally getting a .45 to complement my .380s and 9mms. The leading contender is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Glock 36 Questions

In another month, when some funds come in, I'm thinking about finally getting a .45 to complement my .380s and 9mms.

The leading contender is a Glock 36. I've fired one many years ago, however, and found that my pinky got pinched between the bottom of the grip and the magazine base plate when firing. I was wondering if Glock has done anything to address this? I would appreciate feedback from those of you who own one. My local range does not have one for me to rent.

Also - is there anything else similar I should consider? By "similar" I mean a single stack .45 with no external doodads...no thumb safety and no decocker - just point and shoot. Kahr is out...I've owned three and all had issues, so I will not consider any of their models. Anything else out there I should look at?

Truth be told, I would probably prefer the baby Glock in .45 GAP, which is the same size as my G26...but I'm leery of that cartridge's long term survival. I know some agencies use it, but it just never caught on. Which is a shame, because it allows .45 in a pistol of the same frame dimensions as a 9mm/.40. Ah well...

Thanks all!
    Last edited by 10thmtn; February 18th, 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

GM
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I haven't noticed a pinch with my G36. The G30 is not much more to conceal. But, if you're set on a single stack, you may wish to look at Kahrs.

I've never experienced it with my G36. Great pistol. You can't go wrong with this choice.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

los

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I think the OP has already ruled out Kahrs. Try the pearce grip extensions, the wife has them on her 26 and loves them.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Just put over 300 rounds thru my G36 over the last 3 days. No issues. I have 2 G30's but the G36 fits the front pocket better and shows less. Stick with the .45ACP - more choices, lower cost, more availability the the GAP45. Only issue I have is trying to find a mag pouch that fits the G36 and functions well.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I have had a G30, G36, and a Colt Defender for many years. The 30 was incredibly accurate and impeccably reliable, but it was less than optimal for CC. By that I mean, it is concealable, however it is, after all, a G21 with a shorter barrel and reduced capacity. Though the 36 is marginally smaller on paper, it is amazing how much it makes a difference. It is combat accurate and has been reliable for me. In .45, the only thing that can compare to it is the Kahr or a small 1911. My Defender is my easiest to carry and the most accurate to shoot. But, the 36, believe it or not, is more comfortable to carry, especially IWB. Everything that makes a 1911 look so nice is what makes it less comfortable to carry (the lines and edges). Everything that makes a Glock so ugly (smooth lines and edges) makes it more comfortable to carry. Even after having my Defender dehorned, it lets you know it is there after a while, particularly IWB and sitting for an extended period.

Just depends on what you can accept and like. I carry my 36 and Defender 50/50; either or. I love them both.

los, maybe you could throw up a comparison for him with a Defender. (?)

Thanks for the feedback so far.

And no, I'm not interested in any Kahr (BTDT 3X) nor a 1911 (don't want a thumb safety).

Looks like if I have any issues with pinky bite, I could try the Pearce mag base plates. I was just wondering if Glock had changed the design or anything to address the issue - I know I wasn't the only one who experienced this.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Look how much smaller that Khar is! But if you're wearing it IWB, the additional barrel length isn't really that significant. The more difficult aspect to conceal is height (handle length) and the Khar doesn't improve upon that at all...
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I had the pinky bite with my G19 due to the 1/4 inch gap between the stock and mag plate.
    I bought pearce mag extenders...they worked.
    But to be honest I prefer the Korean knock-offs (KCI) mags. They fit flush, have never failed, and sell for 10$ apiece.
    But I'm not sure whether they're available for the G36. And I think most folks would hesitate to use them for CCW.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    ... Also - is there anything else similar I should consider? By "similar" I mean a single stack .45 with no external doodads...no thumb safety and no decocker - just point and shoot.
    The AMT Back Up looks like it meets your criteria..?

Here's a quickie chart..

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Look how much smaller that Khar is! But if you're wearing it IWB, the additional barrel length isn't really that significant. The more difficult aspect to conceal is height (handle length) and the Khar doesn't improve upon that at all...
    Indeed.

I would be using a Smartcarry. I've carried a G19 that way for 18 months, now carry a G26. The G36 is in between, though closer to the G19 in size. It's somewhat thinner, not sure that would make a difference. The barrel goes down my left leg (I wear my Smartcarry at the 11 o'clock position) so barrel length isn't an issue. The slightly longer grip (compared to the G26) might be offset by the slightly thinner profile.

Hey los-

You are THE chart master!

The AMT came to mind, but everything I've read points to them being finnicky, especially with anything other than FMJ ammo. It's also heavier.

Seems like the only pistols that meet my criteria are the Glock and the Kahr, and the Kahr is out of the question. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing or failing to consider something. Given my excellent results with my Glocks so far, I think I know which way I'm heading...
    Last edited by JD; February 19th, 2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: merged posts
    CT Lasers

I had one for a few months. I had the pinky issue for a bit, then adjusted my grip.

I wanted to like the pistol, but couldn't. I found the grip strange. It was thinner, but just as deep as normal glocks. For me it was a strange feel. My hand just couldn't wrap around the gun naturally.

It had a little more kick than I was looking for, and for the size I didn't see the point in keeping it. There were quite a few guns with similar dimensions that would handle better for me.

Despite the gun not working for me it was very reliable. The were two FTE's that occurred. They were my fault. The G36 and LCP taught me quite a bit about limp wristing.

If it fits you and you don't mind the punch you will be making a good choice. Don't worry about the pinky. After a few pinches mine toughened up.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Seems like the only pistols that meet my criteria are the Glock and the Kahr, and the Kahr is out of the question. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing or failing to consider something. Given my excellent results with my Glocks so far, I think I know which way I'm heading...
    Nothing I know of quite as small as the AMT backup but yeah its not too reliable. Here are some more options to consider though. If you look to the 1911 platform there is a lot in the same size category as G36. They are thinner than the G36 but heavier.

Cylinder & Slide Adventurer
    Cobra Patriot 45
    Chief Special 45
    STI Off Duty
    Springfield Micro Compact 45
    Para Ordinance Carry
    Detonics Combat Master
    /2009511105020-coltnewagent_main.jpg"]Colt New Agent[/URL]
    Kimber Ultra Carry II

etc...getting too tired to list em
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast