Defensive Carry banner

The SP101 Club

108K views 429 replies 176 participants last post by  sparkyfender 
#1 ·
I finally joined the .357 crowd :image035:

I've been pining for one of these for awhile, now and I just happened to give in at a weak moment at the LGS:

If the wind dies down tomorrow, Mr. Ruger and I are going shooting :shootin:

And, I couldn't find any .357 mag locally, except for some Blazer 158 grain stuff.

I landed a good deal on these .38 +P from Federal, but cannot identify them. I wanted to get some ballistic data, can anyone help out?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product
Revolver Gun Auto part Plastic
Glass bottle Ammunition Bottle
Text Font Technology Label Auto part

See less See more
Reactions: CowboyColby
#406 ·
Just joined with a 22lr. Have yet to try t out on the range (probably this weekend), but I absolutely love the way it sits in my hand - perfect combination of giving you enough to hold onto without excess, and everything seems very well ergonomically aligned (not universally true for all firearms).

My my only question for those with experience with 22lr - when using the speed loaders, the loader itself doesn't make contact with the back of the cylinder and frequently leaves cases sticking out the back of the cylinder that need to be pressed in before closing. Is there a fast way to get all six seated in the cylinder?

#407 ·
#410 ·
Trying out a new OWB holster for the 3". Hand Handgun holster Scabbard

My first one, an MTR dual carry, is a very good holster but, rides a bit low for concealment and has a large footprint on your belt. Denim Jeans Handgun holster Clothing Street fashion

This Don Hume H721OT is much thinner leather with a much smaller footprint and rounded corners. I carried and still do at times a 2" snub in a Don Hume J.I.T. and it has been a great holster. I really like this new one for OWB and will carry the SP101 in the MTR when I carry IWB. Jeans Denim Belt Buckle Clothing

#411 ·
While we're at it - the SP101 was my very first gun (way back when only in .38 Special and after being held up delivering pizza - twice) and after tons of guns have come back to it (and just two others). So, it's probably been noted, but I'm lazy - is there a "best" IWB holster for it? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#414 ·
While we're at it - the SP101 was my very first gun (way back when only in .38 Special and after being held up delivering pizza - twice) and after tons of guns have come back to it (and just two others). So, it's probably been noted, but I'm lazy - is there a "best" IWB holster for it? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm partial to the N82Tactical, check it out @ the link in my Sig-Line.
Nothin' like a good solid 357 SP101 "Roscoe" ! :hand2:

Reactions: Eric357
#412 ·
I've had a couple SPs over the years.

Found them a bit hefty for belt carry and didn't even want to think of ankle carry.

With the success of the LCR 9mm, I'd like to see Ruger offer the SP again in that
caliber.

A friend in S.Africa has carried one for years without a hint of trouble.
A Ruger LCR 9mm runs about $489-$539 locally.

Modern pricing for the SP-101 in .38/357 is about $449-599, and those
selling a SP in 9 x19 can get $799-$899 for them, maybe more.

I've sold off my .38/357s and .380s and actually just gave away the last of
my 38 Special and .380 ammo...so a Ruger 9mm revolver is my goal when
want to buy a wheel gun.

#418 ·
I'm afraid that after owning 3 SP-101, and 3 LCRs, I'll be goin to a LCR
9mm after my SP-101 38/357 sells.

The DAO pull of the LCR is better than the DA on my SP, and the 9mm
is lighter.

#421 ·
I like the wood grips and that Tomcat:danceban:

A relative of mine is looking into a semi-auto or a revolver.

This would probably be a 9mm or a 38/357, but no idea
if they can rack a slide or not.

If not, then a LCR .357,

or SP-101 38/357 would be my choice.

No doubt.. they would mostly shoot 38 or 38+P out of one.

As I can no longer pull the trigger on a revolver..
this has a much easier trigger pull.

The slide is super easy to rack as well.

I think it was a good trade if even that I had to add a bit of
cash.

The SP-101 is a solid Ruger, and you can put most any factory
.357 load through one and smile:tongue:

Reactions: Eric357
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.