The SP101 Club

This is a discussion on The SP101 Club within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ran out in the rain today, to shoot a little bit. I accidentally over-oiled it, so it got some gunpowder residue stuck to it ...

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: The SP101 Club

more pictures

I ran out in the rain today, to shoot a little bit.

I accidentally over-oiled it, so it got some gunpowder residue stuck to it

Ruger with plates.jpgRuger with brass.jpgammo.jpgammo comparison.jpgbullet comparison.jpg

Because of the rain, I was in a hurry. I just wanted to run some ammo through it, to get a feel for it.

Here is some data for the ammo that I was using:

Buffalo Bore Heavy .38 Special +P; 158 grain LSWHC; 1000 fps, ME: 351 ft/lbs.

S&W mod. 60, 2 inch- 1040 fps (379 ft. lbs.)
    S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch- 1059 fps (393 ft. lbs.)
    Ruger SP101, 3 inch- 1143 fps (458 ft. lbs.)
    S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch- 1162 fps (474 ft. lbs.)

Federal .38 Special +P; 125 grain, JHP; 950 fps, ME: 250 ft/lbs (4" barrel)

Blazer .357 magnum; 158 grain JHP; 1150 fps, ME: 464 (4" barrel)

I started off with the Blazer stuff, then the Buffalo Bore +P, then the Federal +P.

I don't know much about ballistics, but the Buffalo Bore produced the most recoil, then the Blazer .357. The Federal stuff was very mild; mild enough that I'm going to run some through my S&W 442.

I know that the Blazer stuff was tested in a 4" barrel, but how much do you think that it loses in a 2" barrel? They are advertising 1150 fps compared to the BB's 1000 fps. I wonder if it's true I know that the BB produced more recoil; does that means it delivers more on the other end?

I must admit that one of the reasons that I got the SP101 was because the 442 is so light, it's punishing on my hand.

I figured that the heavy beast would absorb the recoil. It does .

This thing is an animal and I'm loving it
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Sorry to be late to the party, I really enjoy my Ruger SP101 3 inch barrel revolver. Loaded with Buffalo Bore rounds it makes a dandy woodsbumming handgun.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have had my oldest SP101 since about 1997, and the second since around 2000-2002; both are the snubbier 2.25" barrel length. These were both 'smithed by Jack Weigand, given his "Tame the Beast" package when new from Ruger, then passed along to my dealer, Allan Yoast, who deals in higher-end firearms. Jack Weigand does not do custom 'smithing these days, but Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs took up where Jack Weigand left off, taking over the Hybra-port process and maintaining the "Tame the Beast" package name. To be clear, the porting is not part of the Tame the Beast package,but a separate option, and mine are not ported.

I later wanted one with a hammer spur, and the 3.06" barrel, but happened upon another 2.25" with a spur that had such a s-m-o-o-t-h trigger right from the factory, I couldn't pass it up, so it became #3. I finally added a 3.06" in 2010 or late 2009, which had an OK trigger pull, and decided to drop a spurless hammer into it, which luckily made the pull very smooth. I had bought the spurless hammer years ago on evilbay, when they still allowed such parts to be listed.

Somewhere along the way, I bought on with a 4" barrel in .32 H&R, and stuck it into the back of the safe. I reckon it will be a dandy utility handgun when I finally, hopefully, move to rural acreage after retirement. I really do wish Ruger would see fit to make a run of them in .357 Magnum with 4" barrels; I would stand in line in the rain for such a gun! Meanwhile, I really do like the way a 3.06" SP101 balances so much like a 4" K-frame, one of my other favorite revolvers.

I tote an SP101 virtually every day, and almost everywhere. I tend to pack heavy, due to my also toting a badge, and having sworn an oath in effect 24/7, and also due to my area's threat profile. The SP101 is a back-up that is so formidable I can reach for it first, in a short-range encounter, and not worry that I should have a bigger gun in my hands. This afternoon and evening, I wore a 2.25" SP101 in my "primary" spot at 0300, in a Milt Sparks PMK, and my P229 duty pistol at 0900 in a Kramer Vertical Scabbard worn crossdraw fashion. This is a very comfortable way to wear this combo. I will also wear two SP101s much of the time. Little beasts, indeed, but I love 'em.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 26th, 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: clarification and a typo

zacii, glad you're liking your SP101. They're stout, but in a non-punishing fun way. I really enjoy shooting mine and my 442 is a great carry partner on the weak side with it. I've been thinking about getting a double holster made for them that could be carried either OWB or IWB with conversion straps. It could be carried SOB or about the 2:00 to 3:00 position for access with both hands. For now, the 442 goes in the left front pants pocket with the SP101 IWB right side. I picked up a sholder holster several weeks ago at a gun show and it carries well in it too. It's great for this time of year with jackets.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If anyone needs some new leather for the SP 3 inch, I have these on my web site. I'm offering these at a great price. Just let me know.
    Attached Images
    rdpG19 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    If anyone needs some new leather for the SP 3 inch, I have these on my web site. I'm offering these at a great price. Just let me know.
    Could you make me something like that for a 4" Ruger Police Service Six (predecessor of the GP100)? I'd like something that could be converted to IWB if that's possible. What do you think?

I just joined the club yesterday! Bought a 2.25" .357 from a friend.

Is there a secret handshake I should know about?

Joe

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    once you handshake the SP101 at the range, you know the secret

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Protip: The secret initiation is going to a range and firing a full power magnum through it causing others in nearby lanes to ask if your gun exploded and if you're alright.
    Last edited by Sleipnir; February 28th, 2011 at 12:38 AM.
    Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Protip: The secret initiation is going to a range and firing a full power magnum through it causing others in nearby lanes to ask if your gun exploded and if you're alright.
    +1
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    I just joined the club yesterday! Bought a 2.25" .357 from a friend.

Is there a secret handshake I should know about?

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Once you've done that, you must post a picture showing evidence of ownership
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The look on people's face when they hear the boom that comes from such a small handgun is priceless. It's even better when they watch you shoot the center out of the target with it from 10 yards. Just stick with it and it will become like an extension of your hand within a couple hundred rounds. The short barrel .357 SP is probably my favorite of all of my handguns.

If you have it, can anyone comment on the feel of the polymer Crimson Trace grip and not the rubber overmold?
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by rks2 View Post
    Mind telling me where you get the grip with laser, from Ruger?
    Thanks.
    Crimson Trace is on the instructions but sorry, I have no idea where to find them. They came with the gun which I bought used on gunbroker. I imagine they were put on at the factory new but I really have no way to know. The revolver was manufactured in 2008.
    Aim Small - Miss Small

gig
    Quote Originally Posted by rks2 View Post
    Mind telling me where you get the grip with laser, from Ruger?
    Thanks.
    SP101-Crimson-Trace-Lasergrips-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Links