Defensive Carry banner

The SP101 Club

108K views 429 replies 176 participants last post by  sparkyfender 
#1 ·
I finally joined the .357 crowd :image035:

I've been pining for one of these for awhile, now and I just happened to give in at a weak moment at the LGS:

If the wind dies down tomorrow, Mr. Ruger and I are going shooting :shootin:

And, I couldn't find any .357 mag locally, except for some Blazer 158 grain stuff.

I landed a good deal on these .38 +P from Federal, but cannot identify them. I wanted to get some ballistic data, can anyone help out?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product
Revolver Gun Auto part Plastic
Glass bottle Ammunition Bottle
Text Font Technology Label Auto part

See less See more
Reactions: CowboyColby
#192 ·
Been an SP101 owner in the past...Just picked up a NIB SP101 DAO, and sent it off to Gemini Customs.
Just got an email from them today, which included this pic of my Ruger after their bead blast package, and custom Cocobolo boot grips.
I will take delivery on Wed, and will share many more pics in the coming weeks.

#201 ·
I have had 3 so far.
My first was a 2.25 in 9mm. I do not remember exactly when I got it probably 93 or so. No internet to find holster makers, to heavy for pocket carry. No California Competition Works SAM moon clip carriers. The ammunition would come out of the clip when pocket carrying ammo. Traded it off. If I had only known.

Next was a 2.25 in 38 Special. Followed by a 3" 357 Magnum. Still have both. May trade the 2.25 in. My local dealer just got a 2.25" 357 in. Not a big fan of 357 Magnum in a 2.25", but I am a fan of no Bill Board on the barrel on the brand new ones.

I had a 3" in 32 H&R spotted at the last Gun Show. Talked myself out of it. I do not need to start reloading for any more calibers.

Now if Ruger would make a 2.25 or 3" in the NEW 22LR for a practice snub. I could even stand a 6 shooter.

Bob The Revolver Guy

Big Creek Kydex
ICORE MO2908

#203 ·
First handgun

I acquired a gemini customs 3 inch model from the original owner (allegedly never fired outside of the factory or gemini) today as my first gun, though certain to not be my last. Seems to have the standard package plus porting on the sides of the barrel. Badger cherry grips and a big night sight. Sadly, here in CA I had to leave it with the FFL for the next ten days so I didn't get a chance to become real familiar with it. Looking at the simply rugged holsters now and getting cleaning tools. It is a lot of info to digest but this thread has been a good read.

#204 ·
I acquired a gemini customs 3 inch model from the original owner (allegedly never fired outside of the factory or gemini) today as my first gun, though certain to not be my last. Seems to have the standard package plus porting on the sides of the barrel. Badger cherry grips and a big night sight. Sadly, here in CA I had to leave it with the FFL for the next ten days so I didn't get a chance to become real familiar with it. Looking at the simply rugged holsters now and getting cleaning tools. It is a lot of info to digest but this thread has been a good read.
Nice!
I really liked the Gemini so I sort of cloned mine. Put rosewood boot grips on it but for practical reasons switched to the Pachmyer compacts for EDC. The .357 SP was a gift from my daughter. I have a really nice EDC and did the work myself. cost me around $45 total.

#206 ·
Well after constantly coming back to this thread over and over I HAD to register!!

Just picked up a brand new ruger sp101 2.25 barrel in .38 special. I know I should have gone .357 but I shoot .38 special 99% of the time anyways so say la vi!

But wanted to thank you all for the help to lurkers like myself!

I make knives as a side job, and grew up working with my hands so already tinkering with it. Shot it about 60 times, now got it in pieces, Im dehorning all the edges/corners, got some wolf springs inbound, and an XS big dot as well inbound. Gonna bead blast it once I get done with all the edges then trigger work and sights and a possible bobbing of the hammer might be in my future.

I have a 2x72 grinder so bobbing the hammer is a cake walk compared to grinding bevels into knives.

Stay tuned for pictures!!!!

#213 ·
The SP-101 Kit Gun

looks to be ideal for my .357 or revolver needs, not to mention.. it has the fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear.

It should be great for shooting a variety of loads like these:

I like the Hogues on SP101s, so I would be changing the grips if I get the Kit Gun.

#216 · (Edited)
Well so much for that reply above! ........anyway, I love my SP101. As it stands in my new and simpler EDC lifestyle she shares duty with my G19 and 26. All three guns require no safety to manipulate, are accurate,reliable and offer a variety of loadings that fit my self-defense criteria. Then, of course, there is something just cool about a revolver especially a snubbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goldy49 and Eric357
#218 ·
I'm joining the club today! I bought my SP101 early last week on GunBroker. With the the long weekend (and some miscommunication between the seller and my FFL) I should be able to pick it up and take her for a spin over lunch today.

I'm going with the Hogue Monogrips in Nylon. I'm hoping that will offer good recoil control for the .357 loads but won't be as sticky against my shirt as the rubber grips. I might end up picking up a set of rubber grips as well since I am pretty averse to harsh recoil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.