The SP101 Club - Page 6

The SP101 Club

This is a discussion on The SP101 Club within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude The look on people's face when they hear the boom that comes from such a small handgun is priceless. It's even ...

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: The SP101 Club

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The look on people's face when they hear the boom that comes from such a small handgun is priceless. It's even better when they watch you shoot the center out of the target with it from 10 yards. Just stick with it and it will become like an extension of your hand within a couple hundred rounds. The short barrel .357 SP is probably my favorite of all of my handguns.
    Amen, brother. Amen.

I've had my Sp101 for 6-7 years now. Carry it sometimes depending on what I am wearing etc. Usually use a simple paddle type holster, don't know who makes it, had it quite a while. When carrying OWB, I have a nice thumb break Bianchi (I think) holster I've had for a few years.

My Ruger SP-101

.357 Magnum 3" Barrel
    IBOK Trigger Job (2.5lb SA / 5lb DA)
    Mepro Night Sight
    Complete pistol dehorn and shine job
    Ugly lawyer roll-mark removal
    Hogue Grips

Fast Cloud likes this.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Whoa! good thing they came on it! $255.00! WOW!
    Aim Small - Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    My Ruger SP-101

.357 Magnum 3" Barrel
    IBOK Trigger Job (2.5lb SA / 5lb DA)
    Mepro Night Sight
    Complete pistol dehorn and shine job
    Ugly lawyer roll-mark removal
    Hogue Grips

Did you do the polish and dehorn yourself? If so, how hard of a job was it? Looks Awesome!
    Aim Small - Miss Small

I just got an SP101 a couple months ago. I've carried auto's for years, but I really, really like carrying this revolver.
    Put Hogue grips on it, makes full power loads easier to handle. Still deciding on what load to carry in it. I just might have to try some of the BB loads, I like the idea of low flash and mid-range power. I handload, so I can made my own mid-range loads, but don't have access to low flash powde - unless someone can recomend an available powder that has that property.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

edthefox
    Did you do the polish and dehorn yourself? If so, how hard of a job was it? Looks Awesome!
    Thanks!

Yes I did everything on this SP-101 myself. The polish and dehorn were not difficult to do, they were very time consuming though. The polishing was done with course to fine sandpaper (400, 600 & 2000 grit) to remove the brush marks. The dehorning was done with files and sandpaper. The roll-mark removal was done with sandpaper, while carefully following the existing contours of the barrel. The final polish was done with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and lots of elbow grease. This entire process took about a week to finish, while watching TV in the evenings.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    After seeing Gglass's SP101, I was inspired to work on mine. I don't normally like shiny guns but I like his. I spend several days working on mine. I added the Meprolight after fighting like crazy to get the old pin out! I dehorned it and shined it using Mothers. I used a dremel on medium speed with felt wheels and Mother's to shine mine. It makes a bit of a mess with the spatter but it got a shine I just couldn't quite get to by hand.

What I learned is that the better you do on the sanding the better the gun looks when done. I only used 400 and then 600. I really needed to use 400 more and to really work on uniformily sanding the whole gun. Then I should have spent more time sanding it down in steps and I should have gone to 1000, 1200 or so. Mine turned out good but I can still see some scratches.

It all reminded me of using the kit to re-polish a car head light. If you take your time and do the sanding in steps it works good. Rush it a bit and it's not as good.

I still like bead blasted finishes better but I have to admit, the polished SP101 is sharp and the Meprolight is a BIG improvement over the OEM.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    LOS, I liked your comparison picture of the SP and the LCR. I set it as my desktop since I carry both guns. I have the DAO 2" with light wood inserts in the grip. I installed the Trijicon Night Sight and did a polish job with Flitz for the mirror finish. I had to reshape the trigger. After long shooting sessions that trigger gave me a blister. I took a dermal and reshaped it to fit me better. I carry it IWB. The LCR357 is carried in the front off hand pocket. I use speed loaders and speed strips for back up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    After seeing Gglass's SP101, I was inspired to work on mine. I don't normally like shiny guns but I like his. I spend several days working on mine. I added the Meprolight after fighting like crazy to get the old pin out! I dehorned it and shined it using Mothers. I used a dremel on medium speed with felt wheels and Mother's to shine mine. It makes a bit of a mess with the spatter but it got a shine I just couldn't quite get to by hand.

What I learned is that the better you do on the sanding the better the gun looks when done. I only used 400 and then 600. I really needed to use 400 more and to really work on uniformily sanding the whole gun. Then I should have spent more time sanding it down in steps and I should have gone to 1000, 1200 or so. Mine turned out good but I can still see some scratches.

It all reminded me of using the kit to re-polish a car head light. If you take your time and do the sanding in steps it works good. Rush it a bit and it's not as good.

I still like bead blasted finishes better but I have to admit, the polished SP101 is sharp and the Meprolight is a BIG improvement over the OEM.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.
    Gideon
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    LOS, I liked your comparison picture of the SP and the LCR. I set it as my desktop since I carry both guns. I have the DAO 2" with light wood inserts in the grip. I installed the Trijicon Night Sight and did a polish job with Flitz for the mirror finish. I had to reshape the trigger. After long shooting sessions that trigger gave me a blister. I took a dermal and reshaped it to fit me better. I carry it IWB. The LCR357 is carried in the front off hand pocket. I use speed loaders and speed strips for back up ammo.
    C'mon guys, you can't tease us pretending that you have pretty, polished guns

We wanna see 'em
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I wish I could show off my SP but, I can't do pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I wish I could show off my SP but, I can't do pictures.
    Pictures are easy

Can't; like you can't because you don't have the equipment, or can't because you don't know how?

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I love the melted look on the SP101s, but I just don't think I could bring myself to file and sand on one. If it were just buffing and polishing, perhaps. Guess I'll just leave well enough alone.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    DSCN3320.jpgDSCN3321.jpgDSCN3319.jpgDSCN3318.jpgDSCN3322.jpgWell I spoke up so I thought I'd "put up"; here's some pictures of my SP101. I just can't take pics like many on this forum. Mine are always dark and the flash too intense...anyway...

I took the plunge and...
    -replaced the front sight with a Meprolight, that was an adventure and a half and i got a drill press out of the deal
    -I took needle files to it and dehorned it. It was scary starting out but the gun was sharp everywhere and I decided to go for it. I even tamed the checkering on the hammer! Nothing sharp on it anywhere now but I was paranoid about taking too much off so I went easy.
    -I don't like shiny guns but my finish was rough from years in the woods and CC carry so I decided to shine it figuring I could always send it off for bead blasting.
    -I then bought ebony inserts from a guy called 41 magnum. I can't say enough about that guy! He's really nice, does good work, includes a scew with his inserts and they come with the silver metal insert. I didn't care for the color on the first and sent it back and he was happy to satisfy me. I was impressed by this guy. So if you want grip insterts for the SP101 or a GP100, I'd recommend him. He's just plain good people and I like spending my money with guys like him.

I learned a lot doing this and in the end it turned out "okay". The Meprolight sight is a big improvement over the standard. I plan on trying an XS Big Dot on my 640-1

Sorry again for the poor quality of my pictures.

I'd encourage those of you who'd like to do this to try and if you decide to, let me know and I'll list the mistakes I made so you can avoid some of the same problems.

Gideon
    zacii likes this.

I really like the grip inserts

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links