Defensive Carry banner

The SP101 Club

108K views 429 replies 176 participants last post by  sparkyfender 
#1 ·
I finally joined the .357 crowd :image035:

I've been pining for one of these for awhile, now and I just happened to give in at a weak moment at the LGS:

If the wind dies down tomorrow, Mr. Ruger and I are going shooting :shootin:

And, I couldn't find any .357 mag locally, except for some Blazer 158 grain stuff.

I landed a good deal on these .38 +P from Federal, but cannot identify them. I wanted to get some ballistic data, can anyone help out?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product
Revolver Gun Auto part Plastic
Glass bottle Ammunition Bottle
Text Font Technology Label Auto part

See less See more
Reactions: CowboyColby
#220 ·
I got the 2". I've got a 642 and a 442 already and I find I like that snub length. The SP101 will be a bit longer and much heavier so we'll see how it does. I wish I had access to a chrono as I'm not sure that shooting .357 out of that short of a barrel will give me much of an improvement over .38 especially in the short barrel +P offering.

#221 ·
Congrats! I love how the Hogue works(feels?), but went back to the stock grips for concealment purposes. Will personalize with some aftermarket inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#222 ·
Recoil was pretty tame with .38s on the stock grips. I just didn't like how they felt in my hand. I much prefer the Hogues. The nylon Hogues seem to be great for concealability as they're not grabby like rubber ones are. They aren't great for .357 recoil, though. I might use the rubber ones for range days and keep the nylon ones on for CC. The gun should should shoot the same with both.

Make sure to post pictures when you get the new inserts.

#226 ·
When the SP101 first came out, it had 125 GR Only imprinted on it due to issues with case length if I understand it correctly.

Not sure when it changed but I got one for my wife around 1991 or 1992 and it has been a great little hand cannon.

We fight over it at times and I keep saying that I am going to go get a new one. My wife said that if I get a new one she wants it with Pink Hogue grips.

#229 ·
Ya know those guns that just kinda take your breath away?
wheelyfun101 - that gun is beautiful.

#231 ·
This is my third or fourth post in this thread(see an 'old school' pattern here?[emoji51]).....now that my SP101 is either my EDC or SNUG. Great gun[emoji106][emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#242 ·
I came up with the acronym.....because I noticed I seemed to have something, gun-wise, nearby but not on my person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#250 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.