Defensive Carry banner

The SP101 Club

108K views 429 replies 176 participants last post by  sparkyfender 
#1 ·
I finally joined the .357 crowd :image035:

I've been pining for one of these for awhile, now and I just happened to give in at a weak moment at the LGS:

If the wind dies down tomorrow, Mr. Ruger and I are going shooting :shootin:

And, I couldn't find any .357 mag locally, except for some Blazer 158 grain stuff.

I landed a good deal on these .38 +P from Federal, but cannot identify them. I wanted to get some ballistic data, can anyone help out?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product
Revolver Gun Auto part Plastic
Glass bottle Ammunition Bottle
Text Font Technology Label Auto part

See less See more
Reactions: CowboyColby
#117 ·
Sp-101

I bought my SP-101 a couple months ago strictly for protection on the job. It has since turned into a fun new hobby. I really enjoy shooting this revolver.
I did 20 years in the Navy and shot 100's of rounds with the .45 and the 9mm and they were never as fun to shoot as this piece is.

#125 ·
I think I'm an oddity in that I don't really like my sp101. I bought a 3 inch model last year that I just can't get into it. I'm not sure if the trigger is sub-optimal, or its just the normal ruger trigger, but I find that I'm continually, mildly disappointed in the gun. I have noticed that when the cylinder rotates, it seems that it rotates inconsistently. I don't know if its a timing issue or what. By that I mean that with every other revolver i have, you get the same cylinder turn with each pull. With my ruger, sometimes the cylinder cycles fast and is waiting for the hammer to drop. Other times its crawling along and all of a sudden speeds thru to "make it" in time. It never fails me, but just bothers me. My 4 inch 22lr sp101 doesn't do this. And all of my trade in S&W's have much better triggers. Eh...

I was really close to trading it in, but I don't really need to trade it in, and I figure I might as well keep it. I'll probably get it checked out sometime.

#129 ·
Going to pick it up this afternoon...

I spoke with the seller on the SP101. He has fired 50 rounds of .357 and 25 rounds of .38 special through it. He got it in January of this year. Needs the money, so he says. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Has the box and paperwork and everything. I guess the Ruger warranty only applies to the original purchaser, but I can't verify that for sure. We agreed on $400 for it. That sounds like a decent price if it's "like new" as he claims. I'll check it out this afternoon and if I bring it home, I'll post some photos. There's an indoor range close by where we're meeting, so I may take it there and see how it shoots first. I'm excited to see it. Also, I've heard the triggers are a bit stiff on them at first. Does it hurt to dry fire a revolver to loosen the trigger up?

More later. Hopefully.

#130 ·
I spoke with the seller on the SP101. He has fired 50 rounds of .357 and 25 rounds of .38 special through it. He got it in January of this year. Needs the money, so he says. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Has the box and paperwork and everything. I guess the Ruger warranty only applies to the original purchaser, but I can't verify that for sure. We agreed on $400 for it. That sounds like a decent price if it's "like new" as he claims. I'll check it out this afternoon and if I bring it home, I'll post some photos. There's an indoor range close by where we're meeting, so I may take it there and see how it shoots first. I'm excited to see it. Also, I've heard the triggers are a bit stiff on them at first. Does it hurt to dry fire a revolver to loosen the trigger up?

More later. Hopefully.
It won't hurt to dry fire it.

My SP101 was more than $500 new, so I think $400 is fair price for barely used.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

#132 ·
I'm a very happy member of the .357mag SP101 club. I bought mine about two years ago as my first carry weapon, but found it a hard to conceal in shorts and a t-shirt, so this summer I purchased an LCP. While the LCP is great to carry, I don't feel as good about it as having a .357 along. Seeing some of the holster options here, I might be able to make it work for summer carry. Here is a picture of my Ruger collection.

#139 ·
I can't even begin to tell you how much I have thought of this. The SP101 is a tank in .357 and it could do amazing things in .44 Special. Instead we get stuck with Taurus and Charter Arms as our only current options.

#137 ·
picked mine up today. My first handgun purchase! It's really a beautiful gun - has the wood inlays on the grip. I'll post pictures tomorrow hopefully

also -- what is the significance of the sealed envelope containing a single casing with the primer painted red? It looks like there was a signature on the envelope, so maybe that was an inspector? anyone who knows I'd appreciate the help

#140 ·
Finally! I found a good, clean used SP101 2.25" .357mag and my LGS and put it on layaway today. I should be picking it up in a few weeks. I'm very excited to say the least. I took a pic but it came out pretty crappy so I'll post a better one when I get it. :smile:

#141 ·
The SP101 was my second pistol of purchase, and I'm not going to give it up anytime soon. My armorer wanted to give me a price to take it off my hands, but I politely declined: it's not on the market.

Tried the small of the back leather Galco holster, but found it to be cumbersone, and heavy. Not my first choice for CCW, but definately a great choice for home defense. Built like a tank, and indestructible.

#142 ·
I love mine. Houge grip and IWB garret industries Silent thunder and silver dollar pancake hosters to fit. I didnt care for .357 mag rounds with the original grips but with the houge monogrip, it really changed the handling and recoil. I carry it 50% of the time. Other times it is a 1911.

#148 ·
Mine rides AIWB, in a Mr. Softy by High Noon holsters. I hardly notice that it's there.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

#149 ·
Great gun, but I found it to be a bit bulky and cumbersome....tried a small of the back Galco carry and did not like it. Still, it's a great piece, and my local gun store gave me an offer that I could not refuse for mine....unfortunately for him, I did refuse.

Still, a great home defense weapon.

#151 ·
I love the sp-101i got,but the wife claimed it as hers. Time to buy another one. Lol

#153 ·
My last SP-101.

Shot well but I went in favor of the lighter LCR.

That's my brother's Ruger .45 there.

Both my SPs and the Speed Six handled Magnums well, but

I still think the LCR is the Zenith in small revolvers.

Reactions: RichB70
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.