Hey Los! Any Kahr PM9 vs. CW9 Charts?

This is a discussion on Hey Los! Any Kahr PM9 vs. CW9 Charts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Los, I looked through you posts and I didn't see any comparison charts for the Kahr PM9 vs. Kahr CW9. I'm about to pull the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Los, I looked through you posts and I didn't see any comparison charts for the Kahr PM9 vs. Kahr CW9. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of them as my primary CC but size and cost are an issue. From what I can tell the CW9 is bigger and probably not as practical for pocket carry, which is what I'm looking for the most. If that is the case I will probably have to save a bit more and get the PM9. Also what about the CM9 vs. PM9 comparison. I know, I know, I am asking for a lot but you just can't beat those handy charts you make. You will help a newb out with their first quality EDC.

If anyone has any info on these and pocket carry it would be greatly appreciated. I have shot the LCP many a time and I like it but I wan't to skip the .380 and feel more confident in the 9mm. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

The two are VERY close in size. If you're going to buy one for IWB, the only real difference would be the grip height.

Not my picture, but it shows the size difference of the PM9 with the 7 round magazine vs. the CW9.

Back to Back.

I own the PM9 and don't find it to be a comfortable pocket carry, especially when you add a holster. It's almost 20oz. loaded, so it moves around more than I would like. I usually pocket carry the P380, which is around 13oz. loaded, slimmer and smaller. I would try it out in the store to see if it is a comfortable pocket carry for you.

los
    Working on the Chart. It'll be ready within the next few minutes..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

los
    Here you go...

Quote Originally Posted by Variable13 View Post
    ... didn't see any comparison charts for the Kahr PM9 vs. Kahr CW9.
    The simple spec "charts" and voluminous write-ups about the PM9 and CW9 pistols around the web really ought to be sufficient to compare these two. There is quite a lot of material written about both of them.

Without knowing your specific criteria, it's hard to make recommendations to you about one versus the other. You know the differences: the PM9 is smaller by the indicated sizes; lighter as indicated. You know that tiny, sub-3in barreled weapons seem to have a higher frequency of complaints about finicky behavior than their longer/larger counterparts (ie, PM9/CW9, or 3in 1911 v 5in 1911). It really comes down to what size, weight, ergonomics and overall reliability you are comfortable with. There is no telling that someone else's experience with a given pistol is going to dictate yours, but you should take such experiences into account when judging.

I've had both the Kahr PM9 and CW9. With my specific two pistols, the CW9 was much more reliable. Interestingly, despite the smaller package the PM9 was easier to handle, more accurate. If I were to select a preferred size, given my criteria I would opt for the PM9 every time. But if reliability were my primary guide (which it is), I'd select the CW9 every time and then accept that pocket carry wouldn't be an option for the larger pistol.

BTW, the extended magazine base plates (for the pinkie finger) can really help control and comfort while shooting, though of course they extend the size and printing of the butt/grip a bit. I think it's a highly worthwhile addition to either the PM9 or the CW9. It can make all the difference, if comfort is hindering your choice.

One thing to keep in mind about the "chart" from Los noted above, the 7rd capacity of the PM9 might well be the maximum capacity, however it's not the capacity with the flush, 6rd magazines shown in the photo. Only the extended, 7rd magazine allows for that, but it makes the gun much longer and more visible when carrying. Something to consider.

Good luck.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Some thoughts:

* When I was brand new to handguns I rented and shot both the PM9 and the CW9. I found the recoil of the PM9 much too sharp for my taste, and the CW9 to be unobjectionable.

* I bought the CW9 and have been very happy with it.

* The CW9 with the 7-round magazine is barely pocket sized -- if you have a big pocket.. I COULD pocket carry with my khakis, but definitely not with my jeans.

* I don't see any point in buying a gun with a shortened grip, only to undo that by using a magazine that stick out from the grip. Therefore If I ever bought a PM9 I would use the 6-round magazine with it. I much prefer a grip long enough to fit all my fingers, which the CW9 does but the PM9 doesn't.

Good luck in your decision-making.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Don't forget price -- the PM9 is $300 more than the CW9.

Kahr will be coming out with the CM9 (anyone know when?) sometimes, which will be much cheaper than the PM9 and the same size.

Hard to take issue with any of the information or opinions noted above. I own both, have had NO ISSUES with either, find the PM9 to be the gun I carry most (P380 is #2). The comment regarding the extended magazine is spot-on: even a pinky rest extension on my Glock 26 makes it much less concealable.

If you haven't owned a Kahr before, please go to http://kahrtalk.com/forum.php

do the Kahr prep and lube suggested here: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521 and

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308

I've done these steps for my 3 Kahrs and have had minimal issues with the initial break-in, all of which related to cheap .380 ammo. Good shooting!

The PM9 is a great little gun but I went back to my P9 (CW9 Deluxe) to get the full grip and the extra round for only a small size penalty and IMO greater reliability. I carry my P9 with a PM9 flat metal magazine base which reduces the height by 1/8" I'll take a long look at the CM9 to supplement the P9 not replace it.
    They know what this is all about - and what do I have? Nothin' but you egg-suckin', chicken stealing gutter trash with not even sixty rounds between you. We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them.

-The Wild Bunch

jyo
    At this time, I own two CW9s (one for me, one for the wife)---I shot my pal's PM9 and found the grip just too short for my hands---also it kicks a bit more---went for CW9s because I don't find the gun to be that hard to conceal---I too find the PM9 to be just that little bit too large for pocket carry unless you wear cargo type pants, then it just doesn't matter---either will work. I think the newer generation .380s are best if you must stick it your pocket. Personally, I will stay with the 9mms over the .380s.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    * I don't see any point in buying a gun with a shortened grip, only to undo that by using a magazine that stick out from the grip. Therefore If I ever bought a PM9 I would use the 6-round magazine with it. I much prefer a grip long enough to fit all my fingers, which the CW9 does but the PM9 doesn't.
    - The 7 round magazine is definitely a better magazine to use as a reload.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Here you go...

Los I like your hand drawn charts better.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

los

Los, Thanks you are the man.

I appreciate everyone's comments and will take them into account for sure. My only pocket carry experience is with the LCP and I guess that is lighter and easier to conceal in the pocket. I have not really been able to put either the PM9 or the CW9 in an IWB holster to see if it would be comfortable to wear regularly. I recently moved back to Topeka,KS and I haven't located a range that rents guns as of yet so I have had limited time with both. I am definently interested in the CM9 for the size and price point, I read they are supposed to come out next month so I will have to keep an eye out for that.

For those that carry a CW9 IWB where do you have your holster located on you waist? Which holsters do you find to work the best?

Thanks again for the comments.

GM
    Thanks a lot los!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links