Defensive Carry banner

good day at the range with new grips....and made a good discovery!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  zip777 
#1 ·
So yesterday I take my girlfriend and my 2 snubbies to the range. After some safety review we hit the booth. She is doing surprisingly well with both the undercover 38 and my 649. I can say that for those of you even considering wood hogue grips over stock do it! The gun was much friendlier to fire and much more comforrtable. I found my groupings also improved.

The other reason we went was to try and find a gun she was comfortable with so we rent a 642 airweight. Could she shoot it? Sure! But she HATED IT. After 10 rounds she said.....I'm done with this thing! I tried it and honestly - although I'm sure its a great carry piece - I didn't care for my groupings at 15 feet. Guess I prefer a stainless heavier gun.

So the good news is we ruled out the VERY GUN we were set to buy her. The bad news is we now need to drop twice the money into a gun she'll use.....another 649. It was hard to get that out of her hands!

Morale of the story.....good grips are worth it and try before you buy! We sure did have fun!!!

#3 ·
i am not quite sure why you would have to drop twice the money... I have a Taurus (bodyguard) style 357 magnum, that is blue steel, around 23 ounces, and is a puppy dog to shoot. Best thing is you can get them new for less than $330 at budsgunshop.com check them out. It is the third taurus revolver i have, and love it. I carry it almost as much as my Smith 642 or smith 442. You need to explain to her that a lightweight gun is carried more often than a heavier one. Bunker

Attachments

#5 ·
Interesting Bunker....thanks for the links. Looks like they copied the 649 design. Funny its actually 2 oz heavier than the 649. I know mu best out the door price from our local dealer is about $638. A few dollars more than internet / ffl but I like supporting local business. I am partial to Smith but the Taurus is certainly worth considering! I think she'll be fine with the extra carry weight. She will only carry when not with me anyway and the make those cool carry purses where she can actually fire right thru the purse if push came to shove and couldn't draw.

You are both right though....if she likes it she'll practice and carry it!

#6 ·
I trust my life with my Taurus... if it were crap, i would not be carrying it. I purchased my Smith's first, but then decided to try Taurus due to cost. At this point, i have not been disappointed yet. Yes, fit and finish is a close second, but mechanically speaking, the Taurus i have owned have all had excellent triggers, and tight cylinders. I also like the full underlug that Taurus has, as opposed to the Smiths. Good luck... let us know what decision you made. Bunker

#7 ·
I almost forgot, Buds price includes shipping, and as long as it is out of state for you, there is no sales tax... at least that is how it works here in NYS. The price you see online is with a personal check... credit cards have to pay another 3% bunker

#8 ·
The problem with lightweight guns is sometimes you have to shoot them more than once. That's when you notice the weight sacrifice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.