Taurus PT 1911C opinion

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 1911C opinion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=torrejon224]The straight 8's aren't the real thing but copies made by Taurus. QUOTE] FYI From the American Rifleman (Dick Heinie has installed hunderds of sets ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus PT 1911C opinion

[QUOTE=torrejon224]The straight 8's aren't the real thing but copies made by Taurus. QUOTE]

FYI
    From the American Rifleman

(Dick Heinie has installed hunderds of sets of his proprietary sights on custom pistols in his Illinois shop, but this is the first time they have been chosen as original epuipment by a major manufacturer.)

RH

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Personally, I would wait for some real world reviews of owners. After seeing a few diffrent models of taurus pistols new models have problems.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    [QUOTE=RH822]
    Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224
    The straight 8's aren't the real thing but copies made by Taurus. QUOTE]

FYI
    From the American Rifleman

(Dick Heinie has installed hunderds of sets of his proprietary sights on custom pistols in his Illinois shop, but this is the first time they have been chosen as original epuipment by a major manufacturer.)

RH
    Yes, the design was chosen but the sites are made by Taurus under license from Heinie

I have high hopes for the gun. As a lefty, I like that it has an ambidextrous safety, and I also prefer heavier trigger pulls, so a six pound pull is right in my realm of preference. So, I may very well be one of the people that purchases one ASAP and has the chance to praise or raze it. Initial impressions seem pretty positive, and that only encourages me.

Bought One !!!

Hello All, Just bought the Taurus PT1911 5" from my local dealer for less than $475.00. He had it for a while and every time I went in I had to hold it and test it out. I went on the hunt for a 1911 but kept comming back to the Taurus 1911. Bought it on Friday and had to goto work and finally got to the range on Saturday and put a 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 230gr round nose through it. Went to another dealer that has the range and he and his crew really liked the weapon. They seem to think that the safety and some other parts seem to have come from wilson. I have to admit the safety does look like an exact copy of wilsons. The weapon shot very well. I was getting 1" groups @ approx. 10yards. I had the range/store owner put a mag through it and he was very impressed and shot very well with the weapon.

What I did not like was the safety, barrel, and hammer.
    1. When shooting, if you bumped the safety by 1/8" and pulled the trigger, the hammer would fall forward, not striking the pin, and would lock up the whole system very tightly. So tight, it was really really hard to get the hammer pulled back down, safety and slide were stuck until the hammer was pulled back. This remedied by just adjusting my shooting style and letting my thumb ride on the top of the safety.
    2. The barrel is thin and not like most weapons now a days that are thick and heavy. The manual for this weapon says the max muzzle FPS for 230gr is 835fps. This sucks. The manual also says not to shoot +P, P+, or any type of high power load. I checked on Federal Hydrashock and those run at 890fps so by Taurus standards you can not really use this as a home defense weapon and must stick with factory ball ammo. I am sure 890fps would be OK. But not sure.
    3. The hammer has Taurus safety mechanisim in it and looks like a old hammer. I wish it had a skeletonized type match hammer. Hammer works fine, just ugly.

I was cleaning the weapon today and got a lesson on ambi safety. Since I was having problems with the safety at the range, I thought I would take a look at replacing the ambi safety or at least I just wanted to look at it and see if it had any dimples for the safety nipple to go into. Maybe I could just modify the safety and make it a little stiffer. By looking at other aftermarket ambi safeties I noticed they seem to just fit inside each other in the middle and I was curious how they stayed together. So, I started to tug on mine, thinking they were welded together and the next thing I know, I pulled the ambi safety apart on the left side. I thought, "OH, thats cool, easy to replace and put a new one on.". I inspected the ambi safety while I had it out and it did have a dimple on the top when the safety is off, but seemed shallow and the angle was really low, no wonder it's easy to bump. FYI, I am no expert on 1911 and this one being my first, I am about to learn a very important lesson. When I put the ambi safety back together I noticed the ambi was not working quite well and was missing the tension I had felt before. I noticed the spring nipple thing that rides against the the safety was gone. Few curse words were said. Then I got my flashlight and got on my hands and knees and started looking. After about 1/2 hour I stopped and called dealer and he had the kit that goes inside the little barrel above the grip for $3.75. I took my weapon in and the store owner helped me out. The same owner that shot the weapon at his range. He noticed the safety was light and recommended that I put a wilson spring and nipples in it. He installed it for me and made a slight modificatin to the slide stop release so it would be easier to put in. The new spring and nipples helped the safety. But another proble arose. When I got home and was doing a function check on the weapon. I noticed the slide stop release was not engaging on an empty magazine. I noticed that there seem to be a small ridge on the end of the slide stop release and the stiffer spring and a slightly longer slide release nipple made it hard for the slide stop release to get past the ridge. I got out my dremell with a round stone on the end, turned it to very low and grinded the ridge down. Every thing works fine now. The new spring made a definite difference on the safety from comming off of safe which is good for me. I have 3 kids that love to climb on dad. So this will be a test to see how well it will stay on with 3 little one's bouncing on me.

Overall, I am VERY VERY pleased with the weapon. This weapon will be a range weapon and maybe used for IDPA for a short while until I get my new CCW weapon. Enjoy and hope this helps.
    Last edited by kansas_shooter; July 23rd, 2006 at 08:52 PM.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

You can Deepen the Dimple in the safety for the plunger to ride in more positive feel to the safety just don't go to deep or its hard to engage

Get ya a pin kit or order a couple of those pins i've lost more than one over the years.. They are supposed to stay attached to the spring though most company's don't seem to like to make the part so it locks into the spring like the colt originally did..

Glad ya like the gun I'm interested in one just cuz and would like to see one and tear it down

The whole limit of fps is pretty dang were any ideal what recoil spring is in it?

You might be able to up it for use with hotter loaded ammo

Also got a pic of the barrel ??

The new set of pins and spring were wilson's and the pins snapped into the spring and once the pins were snapped in, it was very hard to get the pins out of the spring. Not even sure were the first pin went, I didn't even here hit the ground or wall or anything.

As for the safety, I think I am going to let it be for now. I will just let my thumb ride the top for now. I like how hard it is to take "off" safe and how easy it is to put "on" safe.

Bud_W, I took some pics for ya. Click on the link in my signature line to get an idea of the whole weapon. Mine did not come with wood grips. It only came with black plastic grips.

The attached pictures are of the barrel. I tried to measure the barrel wall with a straight ruler.
    Looks to be about 1/8" thick.

As for the spring, not sure what type or poundage or whatever.
    Attached Images
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

So ya see what i was talking about with the plunger pin's and springs then with locking in

As for the Barrel it looks about like my springfield barrel so it is about normal size for a 1911 in thickness.

so I'm not sure why they tell ya not to shoot over 830 fps ammo I would call them and ask and other wise slap a 16.5 variable wolfe or Flacon spring in it and shot what i wanted

5" 1911 dont have big thick bbls. The shorter guns have the bull bbls. That bbl. is perfectly normal as is the fps ranges for you ammo. You should not have any problems using defensive ammo in that gun. Also the safety is not an issue. Like you said if you use a high thumb hold with your thumb on top of the safety you have no problem. The 1911 is meant to be fired in that manner.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Will it accept standard 1911 parts?

I'd be interested in something like this, but would probably use it as a base for customization. With the plethora of custom 1911 parts out there it would sure be a bear if the pistol wouldn't accept any.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Not sure about accepting standard 1911 parts. Seems to be pretty much like a standard 1911. I am going to buy a match trigger, wood grips, and maybe change the rear sight. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info on the spring and barrel. I may try some of that.
    One shot. One kill.

In the basic pistol course I took this past weekend, we were taught to keep BOTH thumbs high. And those of us using 1911's, were told to keep our shooting hand thumb on top of the safety lever.

I don't recommend that grip for any 1911 with sharp edges on the safety. It hurts!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links