At first I thought I broke my Glock, but now I think it is broken in. Long.

This is a discussion on At first I thought I broke my Glock, but now I think it is broken in. Long. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have caught myself jerking the the trigger on my Glock 27, anticipating the recoil, so I figured I would get some snap caps and ...

Thread: At first I thought I broke my Glock, but now I think it is broken in. Long.

At first I thought I broke my Glock, but now I think it is broken in. Long.

I have caught myself jerking the the trigger on my Glock 27, anticipating the recoil, so I figured I would get some snap caps and do some dry firing practice.
    So I loaded up a mag with 5 snap caps, and proceeded to dry fire.
    Someone had suggested that instead of completely racking the slide to reset the trigger, it's possible to just pull back far enough to reset the trigger and keep using the same snap cap. This does work ok, except that sometimes I would
    pull back to far and eject the snap cap anyways. So I was putting all the snap caps in the mag and if I ejected the first one I would just continue on with the next one.
    Several times though because I was pulling the slide slowly trying not to eject the round I would get a partial ejection and the snap cap would jam.

Finally this happened and the slide had already loaded a new snap cap into the chamber. The ejected snap cap was stuck in behind the loaded snap cap.
    I cleared the extra cap but could not get the loaded cap out. If I remember correctly the slide was not going all the way forward. I finally got the slide forward and figured all I needed to do was rack out the snap cap. It didn't want to come out. I tried taking a screw driver and prying it out, and didn't manage to budget it. Then I tried closing the rack on it and tried ejecting it that way.
    I tried several times, and finally got it out. Now I was worried that I might have bent the ejector.

I took the gun to the local range last week and was kind of worried that I might have problems with it ejecting after having to force the cap out.

The gun worked OK, no failures.

This was the first time I had a chance to shoot some Hornady XTP SD rounds through it. The gun has had about 200 rounds of target ammo thru it and it looks like either it is broken in OK, or I am getting used to it.

These targets where at 25 feet, shot fairly fast with a two hand grip.

The first picture is two mags of Hornady 180 grain XTP, the second picture is UMC target ammo.

I still tend to jerk the trigger a little but when I am careful the gun is right on.
    I guess I will need to do some more dry firing but I will rack the slide each time and reload the mag every 5 shots rather than risk another jam up.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I have caught myself jerking the the trigger on my Glock 27, anticipating the recoil, so I figured I would get some snap caps and do some dry firing practice.
    So I loaded up a mag with 5 snap caps, and proceeded to dry fire.
    Someone had suggested that instead of completely racking the slide to reset the trigger, it's possible to just pull back far enough to reset the trigger and keep using the same snap cap. This does work ok, except that sometimes I would
    pull back to far and eject the snap cap anyways. So I was putting all the snap caps in the mag and if I ejected the first one I would just continue on with the next one.
    Several times though because I was pulling the slide slowly trying not to eject the round I would get a partial ejection and the snap cap would jam.

Finally this happened and the slide had already loaded a new snap cap into the chamber. The ejected snap cap was stuck in behind the loaded snap cap.
    I cleared the extra cap but could not get the loaded cap out. If I remember correctly the slide was not going all the way forward. I finally got the slide forward and figured all I needed to do was rack out the snap cap. It didn't want to come out. I tried taking a screw driver and prying it out, and didn't manage to budget it. Then I tried closing the rack on it and tried ejecting it that way.
    I tried several times, and finally got it out. Now I was worried that I might have bent the ejector.

I took the gun to the local range last week and was kind of worried that I might have problems with it ejecting after having to force the cap out.

The gun worked OK, no failures.

This was the first time I had a chance to shoot some Hornady XTP SD rounds through it. The gun has had about 200 rounds of target ammo thru it and it looks like either it is broken in OK, or I am getting used to it.

These targets where at 25 feet, shot fairly fast with a two hand grip.

The first picture is two mags of Hornady 180 grain XTP, the second picture is UMC target ammo.

I still tend to jerk the trigger a little but when I am careful the gun is right on.
    I guess I will need to do some more dry firing but I will rack the slide each time and reload the mag every 5 shots rather than risk another jam up.
    Yes you need practice, a lot of it.

You seem to have ingrained a flinch in your trigger press.

The G27 isn't the easiest gun to shoot. When you feel confident enough to go to the range again, try this. Load some snap caps randomly in your mags. When one of those chamber you will really see your flinch when you press your trigger. In revolvers we used to call these cap and ball drills. When I would teach, I would have those dummy plastic rounds from Dillon in whichever caliber we were using and have someone other than the shooter load mags. This has the added benefit of teaching you malfunction clearances. You know, tap/rack/ assess.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Links