Question re: S&w 686

This is a discussion on Question re: S&w 686 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a Smith and Wesson model 686 (pre-owned) 4" barrell with serial # ADV 8294. Anyone have a book that shows what the ...

Thread: Question re: S&w 686

Question re: S&w 686

Just picked up a Smith and Wesson model 686 (pre-owned) 4" barrell with serial # ADV 8294. Anyone have a book that shows what the date of birth would be on this gun? or have any knowledge of problems that I might expect from it. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Ads

Fix ya' right up.

A peek in the Supica and Nahas "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" indicates that your revolver likely was produced sometime in the first part of 1984. The year is shown to begin with ADT3000.

The Model 686's are well known to be pretty "bullet-proof" and it would be surprising that problems should arise, even with a lifetime of heavy shooting as long as it is kept clean and lubricated.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks bmcgilvray, I really appreciate your help!!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Whit42:

You must have an original 686, without any dash after it. For mine is a 686-2, and its serial number starts with AZJ.

Does anyone know what year 686 production first started? I have no idea what difference there might be between the original 686, and my 686-2 I believe that the latest 686 model is now up to 686-8

They will stand-up to years of heavy shooting even if they are not kept clean and lubricated. As near bullet proof as a gun gets.

"Does anyone know what year 686 production first started?"

From memory I'd say 1981. That's about when all the gun rags had the initial hoopla about them.

Sure, a Model 686 can function in a fairly filthy condition and do it indefinitely but there's no use in subjecting parts to unnecessary wear and dirt, gum, and grime will take its toll. More so than lots of shooting of heavy loads.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "Does anyone know what year 686 production first started?"

From memory I'd say 1981. That's about when all the gun rags had the initial hoopla about them.

Sure, a Model 686 can function in a fairly filthy condition and do it indefinitely but there's no use in subjecting parts to unnecessary wear and dirt, gum, and grime will take its toll. More so than lots of shooting of heavy loads.
    I agree.

However, these guns have been around a long time now, I have seen many that have been used continuously and literally never cleaned, but after a good cleaning there is no measurable wear or tear on them other than the stocks. They are as immune to neglect as any gun I have ever seen.

Check out this recall notice. If it applies (and I think it does), call S&W for a FedEx label, it'll be back in less than two weeks.

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    They are as immune to neglect as any gun I have ever seen.
    There is nothing like solid steel and good design to make a gun that lasts.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Check out this recall notice. If it applies (and I think it does), call S&W for a FedEx label, it'll be back in less than two weeks.

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

Good catch there. His revolver should indeed be part of this recall, unless it already has the letter M on it noting that the modifications have been done.

That is a pretty serious safety issue. Fortunately, my 686-2 already has these modifications done to it.

What does an "m" over the model number mean? Anyone have a picture of what there talking about? I was just looking at a 686 the other day and if I get one I want to make sure it's modified already.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Inside the crane (hinge arm attaching cylinder to frame, I think the term is correct) is where you should find this number.

"M" means it has been modified to comply with the recall noted above.

Hey CPO 15, Many, Many Thanks for the tip on the recall!!!

I just spoke with S&W on the phone and they are sending me the return label, so I can have it modified at no charge. I am very thankful for Gents like you on this forum for taking the time to help out.

Thanks again to all of you for the comments and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    What does an "m" over the model number mean? Anyone have a picture of what there talking about?

Here is a photo of my 686. The red arrow points to the model info that you need to check. it is located just below the gun's serial number.

In my case, my revolver is a model 686-2, so it does not need the mod. Same would be true of a 686-3, 686-4, etc.... Any 686 that shows 686 or 686-1, though, will need to have an "M" added to it, in order to indicate that the safety modifications have been done to the gun.

Links