I pick my carry gun for the day based on differing circumstances...do you?

This is a discussion on I pick my carry gun for the day based on differing circumstances...do you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find myself choosing a carry gun, (size, caliber, round capacity and type of holster it will ride in) each day based on several factors: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I pick my carry gun for the day based on differing circumstances...do you?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

I find myself choosing a carry gun, (size, caliber, round capacity and type of holster it will ride in) each day based on several factors:
    what part of town I'll be in, (some areas more threatening than others and I want higher capacity)
    how long I'll be carrying, (some guns and holster combo's more comfortable than others)
    where I'm going, (run to the corner c-store I may throw in a pocket gun)
    time of the year and how I'm dressed, (some guns more concealable than others)

I'm curious...do you carry the same gun each day no matter what, or do you match a specific gun each day to differing circumstances?

What other factors help you decide what to carry?
    Proud NRA member

One gun, one holster, one place. I've experienced the adrenaline dump and fight or flight moments and muscle memory and constants are what let you live another day.

I pick the gun I carry based on where I'm going (my assessment of threat level), my mode of dress (concealability), and mission (shopping? banking? walking the dogs?). The snubs or the Kel-tec 32 go in a pocket holster, all else either IWB or OWB behind the point of my right hip. Never personally had a problem switching from one gun to another, even different platforms (revolver to 1911 to Kahr), even under stress.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Yes. Several things determine what I carry at a particular time. I have also experienced SD situations on 2 occasions while carrying different guns and it did not pose a problem as to the manuals of engagement.

642 in a Nemesis when I'm at home. PM9 on my hip when I'm out and about. M&P9c in the nightstand.

I pick mine based mostly on which one I want to carry.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I carry a g19 most of the time. When I wear baggy shirts or a jacket I switch to my g17, as I shoot it slightly better.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I started carrying in 1984, on my badge, quite a while before Texas had a legal CHL system in place. Most of that time, my default concealed carry guns have been my personally-owned duty handguns. While I do not rigidly carry the same weapon system all the time, I think it is certainly a good goal. All of my go-to guns point the same in my hands, and I try to always carry a weapon at 0300. I carry weapons that are either long-stroke double-action, or single action, and that are obviously, upon first contact, one or the other.

With an elderly father-in-law living with us, needing 24/7 supervision, my live-fire training time is precious. I feel better carrying a weapon with which I have practiced recently, and have shot extensively over time. This tends to further limit the range of weapons I find comforting. My current comfort guns, really, are the SIG P229, and medium-frame DA revolvers.

I certainly don't consider a convenience store, even in a "nice" area, to be a low-risk destination! If nothing else, the lack of exit options is a big consideration. That is the last place I would be content to have merely dropped a small pistol into a pocket. Of course, the mind is the weapon, and being inside a c-store in Condition Orange with a pocketed J-snub beats being in there with a slung AR15 while in Condition White.

When I don't want to take the time to dress around the gun, for a quick trip to a c-store or drug store, rather than carry just a mousegun in a pocket, I carry a duty gun in a Safepacker; either on a belt, or hand-carried.

Same gun all the time, I never carry different guns but I do change holsters if I must tuck in my shirt I wear a N82 IWB tuckable. But the Glock 22 is always my carry choice.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I've gotten away from carrying larger guns myself. If my Walther PPS and my Kahr PM9 backup are not enough to get me out of trouble, then I figure that I probably deserve to die for being stupid enough to allow myself to get into that much trouble.

I generally stay away from the worst parts of town. My own neighborhood that I live in is not that great, as we have a number of apartment complexes only two blocks away, and many homes on my block are rentals.

Fortunately I have real good neighbors on both sides of me. A couple in their early 60's on one side that owns their place, and a young couple with a baby on the other side that rents.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    My range is Glock 22-23-27. Each has its specific benefit depending on one or more circumstances.

And always one extra magazine.

I carry a variety of weapons, but they are all full size, with the exception of the g26. I have recently added the g17 to my line up. In addition , I also carry a couple of k frame revolvers. I can't explain why I like to carry different things, I just do. Capacity is not always a consideration, but shootability is.

What other factors help you decide what to carry?
    How I need to be dressed. When working with shirt tucked in, going into offices where they would absolutely freak out if they knew I was carrying, I pocket carry a J Frame. Other times it's usually a K Frame OWB.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Just a quick note to address the question of handling different platforms. All my carry auto's are striker fired with no external safeties to switch off, (Glock 19, 22, 23, 27, Springfield XD .45 Compact or Ruger LCP). No matter which one I'm carrying, it's always on my side holstered at 3 o'clock, (except the LCP it's in my right front pocket). The other choice is my S&W 642 wheel gun, same principle, no safety...point and pull triger.

I practice once a month at the range with a varying combination of 2-3 of my carry choices.
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    I choose the firearm as I'm deciding what to wear that day. Attire ranges from suits to overalls, environment ranges from court rooms to ditches, firearms range from multiple full-size to mouse gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links