Surprised and embarassed when I disarmed tonight

This is a discussion on Surprised and embarassed when I disarmed tonight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll confess so that others may learn from my mistake. Last night my wife and I went to dinner with another couple and I chose ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprised and embarassed when I disarmed tonight

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

I'll confess so that others may learn from my mistake.

Last night my wife and I went to dinner with another couple and I chose to carry my Glock 19 in a Don Hume H721OT holster as my carry combo for the evening. I always carry a spare mag so I added another 15 rd 9mm mag in a Don Hume leather clip-on holder.

Fast forward to Sunday....

As I dressed for church this morning I chose my Glock 27 in it's Don Hume H721OT which is a little more comfortable because of the type of seats in our sanctuary, (theatre style with armrest each side). As always I clip on the Hume spare mag holder. I usually carry a spare G 27 +1 mag.

Tonight I re-armed with the Glock 27, my wife and I went out for dinner and afterwards a visit to one of our daughters and son-in-law.

Back home, here's where the embarassement took place. I took the 27 and holster off and put them away, I took the spare mag holder off and realized I had been carrying 15 extra rounds of 9mm, (that won't work in a .40 cal auto) all day. I failed to swap out mags when I swapped carry guns this morning.

Boy did I feel dumb for not doing a better job of checking my back-up mag matched my carry gun.
    Proud NRA member

Thanks for the reminder! Glad it wasn't needed!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

That's ok. I once went to unload my shotgun after a day of deer hunting, only to discover I had never loaded it. I'd been on stand all day with an unloaded gun. I realized then I really didn't care much about hunting anymore, and went fishing the next day. Took me about 15 years before I went hunting again.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I carried my S&W 442 for several days one time with the internal lock engaged. Needless to say, the internal lock has since been removed.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

That's why I stick to one CC caliber, Other than my wheelies ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Good lesson; thanks for sharing.

I prefer the 357 SIG cartridge, but am mandated to carry .40 at work. I have multiple SIG P229 pistols, and could keep one converted to 357 SIG, with my factory 357 barrel, and use it on my own time, but I don't. Unless it is a range session, I keep .40 barrels in the guns. I don't keep any mags loaded with 357 SIG; all mags are either loaded with .40, or empty. I know my tendency toward absent-mindedness, particularly when I am tired from working nights.

I went the same way as hogdaddy - all my semi autos that I carry are of the .40 Cal Glock variety, and my wheel guns wont be confused any time soon.... (S&W Airweight .357/Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag)

Glad nothing bad came of it, and a lesson learned, thanks for sharing.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I once (over 35 years ago) went through an entire shift for the Sheriff's Dept. with an unloaded revolver. Since that day, my carry weapons stay loaded all of the time!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

An acquaintance color codes the bottom of his Glock mags (paints the little Glock logo square) to avoid that error.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I once (over 35 years ago) went through an entire shift for the Sheriff's Dept. with an unloaded revolver. Since that day, my carry weapons stay loaded all of the time!
    Same here. From failure to replace the ammo after a dry firing practice session.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    An acquaintance color codes the bottom of his Glock mags (paints the little Glock logo square) to avoid that error.
    - I do something similar. I put a little colored star sticker on the bottom of the magazine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    That's ok. I once went to unload my shotgun after a day of deer hunting, only to discover I had never loaded it. I'd been on stand all day with an unloaded gun. I realized then I really didn't care much about hunting anymore, and went fishing the next day. Took me about 15 years before I went hunting again.
    That's kinda funny. I think I'm there as well, as tree-stand time has become quiet prayer-time for me. Shooting a deer would be disruptive.

Thanks for sharing your story, and reminding us to always double check our carry weapon. I am curious though why you carry a G19 or a G27.. why not the G19 or G26 to keep the ammo the same, and be able to use the spare for the 19 in the 26? Again, not saying what you are doing is "wrong".. it just seems that most people usually pair the 19/26 and 23/27.

Stay Safe!

sgb
    All my carry guns take the same mags and shoot the same caliber.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

It happens lesson learned but at least you had a full mag in the gun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links