Looking for new EDC

This is a discussion on Looking for new EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My vote is for the M&P40 compact 10+1 oh yes.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for new EDC

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    My vote is for the M&P40 compact 10+1 oh yes....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    A G27.......

9 +1 rounds of .40 S&W.

Plus you can carry a G22 15 round mag or two for a spare.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Hey there SilenceDoGood!

It's not hard to carry a full size 1911, alls ya need is a good holster and belt They're as easy to carry as anything else.

The double stack pistols may be a bit lighter, but their thickness contributes to some discomfort.
    Hey Zacii, long time no see! How's that G23 working out for you? I have an awesome belt and awesome holster, but I find myself wanting to not carry b/c of the size/weight of the 1911, which isn't cool. Its just not one of those guns that will disappear for me. Tomorrow I am bringing home a new toy. For once I am going to go to the gun shop with an open mind and see what fits in my hand. I have been giving much thought to the G36, since I have so much .45 laying around I might just do it.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The only thing this really says to me is the guy is a terrible shot. This isnt a equipment fail, its a shooter fail. If you don't practice with what you shoot to be able to connect then NO cartridge is going to be effective. Even though I know I'll catch some flack for it I'm still willing to say it. If your in a shooting that is anything like the majority of defensive shootings where you only get 1-3 shots off the .357 has a higher likelyhood to bring down a attacker then 9mm ASSUMING the person shooting the gun is skilled enough to put the rounds on target. I know people hate "The caliber wars" and we all know that counting on a one shot stop is a good way to get yourself killed BUT there is no arguing that the .357 is a more potent round then the 9mm. Just because some guy that you shoot IDPA with can't shoot it worth a crap doesn't prove otherwise.
    You used to carry a 9mm and you are still with us...

9mm works just fine as a defensive handgun, there are still plenty of cops who use it to stop bad guys every year. You said you will get 2-3 shots off in a "likely" circumstance, I have no doubts that 2-3 COM 9mm hollowpoints will stop the threat.

Take a look at some of the really good 9mm carry options (Glock 26, M&Pc, XDm compact, XDsc. All will give you a whole lot of firepower in a little package.
    We all like to sit on either side of the fence and snipe at others choices, but frankly pick any of the major self defense calibers, some really nice JHP ammo, and a whole lotta practice. Many of us bet our lives on a 9mm every day, and I think it is the perfect CCW cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    You used to carry a 9mm and you are still with us...

9mm works just fine as a defensive handgun, there are still plenty of cops who use it to stop bad guys every year. You said you will get 2-3 shots off in a "likely" circumstance, I have no doubts that 2-3 COM 9mm hollowpoints will stop the threat.

Take a look at some of the really good 9mm carry options (Glock 26, M&Pc, XDm compact, XDsc. All will give you a whole lot of firepower in a little package.
    We all like to sit on either side of the fence and snipe at others choices, but frankly pick any of the major self defense calibers, some really nice JHP ammo, and a whole lotta practice. Many of us bet our lives on a 9mm every day, and I think it is the perfect CCW cartridge.
    I did indeed used to carry a 9mm and still would if the situation called for it. I didn't (and am not) saying 9mm isn't effective. I'm only saying that .357 is more so.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I appreciate everyone's input. I tried on a whole bunch of .45's, .40's, 9mm, and even .380's. From the Glock 30 and 36 to the Taurus millennium; I even tried Khars, kel tecs, m&p and walthers too. It came down to the Glock 30 and Sr9C. I finally decided on the Ruger SR9C. Fits my hand nicely, and hopefully helped out my local economy (made in Prescott, AZ and bought at local shop). I really like how the 17 round mag comes with a mag sleeve; that ought to make it a viable range gun. Carrying it in an uncle mike's (until i get some good leather) IWB @ 8 o'clock (lefty), loaded with 147g Hydroshocks.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Very nice

We're looking forward to a shooting report and pics
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links