.357 Snub, cylinder hanging up

This is a discussion on .357 Snub, cylinder hanging up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning everyone. My apologies if this is in the wrong forum but it seemed more gun relatred and a little less ammo related. Ive ...

Thread: .357 Snub, cylinder hanging up

.357 Snub, cylinder hanging up

Good morning everyone. My apologies if this is in the wrong forum but it seemed more gun relatred and a little less ammo related.

Ive got a Taurus 650, a small five shot .357 snub with a two inch barrell. Its one of my carry pieces and while I was out firing a few other guns today I wanted to shoot a few rounds out if as well. I had it loaded with Goldern Saber HP .357 rounds. I only ran two cylinder through. Each time the first round fired just fine but then on each subsequent shot, as the trigger would get near the breaking point and the cylinder would almost be locked into the next position it would "hang" up, the trigger would get a little stiff and I would have to squeeze it harder to get it to fire. In the past it did just fine, but the ammo was different, it was .357 SWC and 38Specials.

I remember reading someplace that sometimes on .357 rounds after its been fired a time or two the bullets can move foward in relation to the casing. In other words, the bullet starts to work itself out from the recoil of the gun moving back and the slug itself wanting to stay put and the casing moves away from it. I have no idea if this is true or if it can really happen. Actually, I thought something was maybe just wrong with my gun and it wasnt until I was sitting at dinner laster that I remembered this. Does this really happen? It would seem to explain my issue.

It should also be noted it has the small grips that I can only get two fingers on and I was shooting one handed, so recoil is maximized I'm sure. I have a small son so I try to practice one handed when I can, if I ever needed my gun in a real life or death situation theres a good chance my weak hand will be occupied.

Anyhoo, I digress.

Is this something that .357 does, or is there something potentially wrong with my gun? If this IS a real phenomenon can anyone recommend some good rounds that are maybe a hair shorter. Its my preference to carry .357 rounds when Im out and about. I know in the shorter barrells they dont offer much more punch than a 38+P but I want all I can get.

Thanks!

Alex
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

2. Remove Ads

I had it happen on my scandium 38. 158 grain rounds, I started shooting 125 grn and it stopped happening. Those same rounds in my sp101 do not walk out of the casing when shot. I figure its the 13oz weight of the scandium 38 not absorbing enough of the recoil that caused the bullet creep.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If your bullets are walking out of the cases, due to recoil, this will be obvious, if you look for it. Far more likely, is unburned residue falling out of the chambers while you are reloading, which lands on the underside of the extractor star. This prevents a full return of the extractor, which causes a certain amount of binding during the trigger stroke. The "dirtier" your powder burns, the more residue. The wetter/stickier your gun's lube, the more residue will stick to it.

I fire strictly 125 grain .357 mag rounds out of my S&W340, after it had gone through about 500 rds or so (roughly) I started noticing the same thing. At first I thought it was bullet related, but I began paying attention to that, and discovered that was not the case. I brought it to a local trusted gunsmith, he looked it over and sent it back to S&W for me. 2 weeks later it returned from S&W with a completely new barrel. They did not specify what the issue with the barrel was, but the gun has fired flawlessly since.

Good luck!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Ive only had this happen with lead bullets. If you can pull the trigger harder it sorta makes me wonder if this is your issue. I know when I have had bullets jump I had to physically press the bullet down to get it to cycle. I would try some fmj bullets and see if this happens or try shooting the bullets you have been shooting and inspect the next round if you have sticking.

You need to have the lockwork and trigger looked at by a competent gunsmith.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    It could be the ejector rod is unscrewing , or could be gunk in the trigger group.
    Gunsmith might be a good idea.

Personally I once had a Taurus revolver but came to my senses and now have only S&Ws
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Ive got a Taurus 650, a small five shot .357 snub with a two inch barrell. ...I remember reading someplace that sometimes on .357 rounds after its been fired a time or two the bullets can move foward in relation to the casing. In other words, the bullet starts to work itself out from the recoil of the gun moving back and the slug itself wanting to stay put and the casing moves away from it. I have no idea if this is true or if it can really happen. Actually, I thought something was maybe just wrong with my gun and it wasnt until I was sitting at dinner laster that I remembered this. Does this really happen? It would seem to explain my issue.
    It's not the first time I have heard of bullets getting stuck forward somehow in a Taurus, possibly due to the recoil or possibly due to poor manufacturing tolerances, but the last time I heard it was because the Taurus exploded in the man's hands. And additional posts like this do not install confidence,

This was the Taurus 66 357mag I got a few months back. I thought I'd go shooting a little ran 5 rounds though it then, KABOOM the barrel goes flying off lead shavings in my neck. I'm glad I was wearing shooting glass's.
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=367801

If it were me I would be more worried about the Taurus than the bad guys.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

May be a real tight barrel/cylinder gap. A gunsmith can check that, and send it back for repair for you.
    Steve

Without seeing the setup, it's hard to say.

I'm betting the ammo and light weight of the gun are major contributors, ESPECIALLY if the problem didn't occur w/ other ammo. The powder under the star will noticeably affect ALL of you trigger pulls, not just the last 4. Shooting one handed might be a contributing factor but unlikely. If you notice in the post after your the shooter said the same happened to his scandium 38. which is a REALLY light gun.

If the problem repeats itself with different ammo, then I would get it checked out. Otherwise, find some .357 rounds the gun likes and is 100% reliable with. (I consider what you are experiencing to be a reliability issue).

The only Taurus my dad owned had to be re-timed after a couple of years of shooting, but it presented itself as a different problem than what you are describing. It was allegedly due to softer steel than normal.

AGAIN, the fact that it fired the first round out of each cylinder full without this occurring is really suggesting an ammo issue. Make sure you fire at least a box or two of your carry ammo to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

If it were my revolver, I'd get in touch with Taurus immediately and send it back to them to make it right -- especially since it was one of your carry guns.

Good luck Alex. Keep us updated on your progress.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Send it back to taurus to get repaired, then sell it and buy a ruger or a smith.

I've heard on more than one occassion of Taurus revolvers having problems with the cylinder sticking or locking up. I would get it looked at just to be sure.

As far as the bullets coming unseated in snub noses this is what I know.

I'm not sure how prevalent it is with steel frames, but it is with lightweight revolvers. The lighter frames have greater recoil and can cause the cartridges to 'lengthen'. My S&W 360 says on the side of the barrel shroud "NO LESS THAN 120 GR BULLET." Heavier bullets go farther into the case creating more friction making it more difficult for the bullet to be shifted by recoil.

GOOD LUCK!

Links