S&W 629 .44 mag?

This is a discussion on S&W 629 .44 mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 Assuming it's not worn it's a good deal as otbers ha e said. There's a guy on the S&W Forum ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 629 .44 mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Assuming it's not worn it's a good deal as otbers ha e said.

There's a guy on the S&W Forum who sells a plug that fills in the space left when the lock parts are removed. No hole or gap in the frame. The only S&W I own with a lock, a 610 N frame, had it removed before I bought it. I joined the S&W forum just to find that vendor and buy the plug.
    The plug isn't needed though correct? Will I run into any problems if I remove the lock and don't fill in the gap/hole?

Thanks for all the info though guys I think you talked me into It I will probably go put half down tomorrow and the rest in a week or two.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Will I run into any problems if I remove the lock and don't fill in the gap/hole?
    No. All you need to do to disable the lock is remove the little flag. Going through the process of plugging the hole will make your gun look better if done successfully but is not necessary if you simply wish to disable the lock.

The plug is just for looks.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    for that price jump on it, from what you said my gun is in the same condition and it cost 750 after all was said and done. still worth it though
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Great guys you have been a ton of help. One last question.

Is there going to be a big difference accuracy and fps/performance wise between a 6" and a 4" barrel?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Buy it!!!! I doubt there is much difference between the 4 and the 6 at reasonably closer ranges.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Problem is I was just looking online for ammo .44 special/mag and really I can't find any reasonably priced target loads. I don't mind spending a few $ for a couple boxes of some full power good back country/SD loads but for practice all I can find are the really underpowered dirty BVAC loads and even those are pretty pricey. Maybe I shouldn't buy the 629 if I'm not going to be able to practice with it. I don't reload so anyone have a suggestion where I can buy some bulk practice ammo at a decent price?

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Bulk ammo I think you can buy Blazer Aluminum casing JHP's for around $27 for 50 rounds. Thats not so bad.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Yea $27 a box is what I'm finding just hard to justify double what I pay for .357 mag...ahhh decisions, decisions, I'm at a complete loss on this one right now. Would love to have the 629 but don't know if I can afford to shoot it very often.

I'd probably buy some double tap or buffalo bore rounds for the woods but I would like to shoot it often enough to get good with it ya know.

I'd only need a few boxes of DT or BB rounds to make sure they work and carry a couple a speed loaders it's the practice rounds that will add up in $ real quick...

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    wal-mart is always cheaper than most online places and gunshops, check there, my .45 federal practice ammo normall costs 23-25 dollers at a gun shop but 16 at wal-mart
    check there, on the other hand you could go the way i did and get hornaday lever evolution rounds for 23 bucks for a box of 20
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Haven't found any cheap .44 anywhere I pay around $34 per box of 50 most places. Keep in mind though firing .44 magnum you aren't likely to want to run a 100 rounds through it per range session, tough on the hands.

Reloading is a fun and rewarding option. If you like the gun, get it and get some reloading gear in the near future... The .44 is a great one to re-load for, I do for my lever action .44 and my .41 mag smith. I want to get a 5.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk to round things out.... Just because :) Good Luck
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links