S&W 629 .44 mag?

This is a discussion on S&W 629 .44 mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright I've been wanting one of these for a while. Stopped at the gun shop on the way home tonight and they have a 629 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 629 .44 mag?

S&W 629 .44 mag?

Alright I've been wanting one of these for a while. Stopped at the gun shop on the way home tonight and they have a 629 in excellent shape for $660. I don't like buying online so I've been looking locally. Good price or no? Seems pretty darn good to me but I want to know what you guys think? Keep looking or snatch it up? What would you do? 4" barrel doesn't look to be fired much at all. Would be used as a woods gun.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Great price, paid over $900 new for mine after taxes but trade in value is around $650.

Certainly sounds like a fair price... and its always nice to support your local gun shop. bunker

Horrible price. Don't buy it..................

Now... where exactly is this gunshop?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Thx guys. What is this I read about the Internal lock? Is this something I should be worried about? I don't want to spend $600+ on a revolver that has a known problem.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

People are afraid that the lock will engage accidentally possibly rendering your gun useless when u need it.

Your chances of a malfunction are slim. But it has happened.

Congrats on the find!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    I have 2 Smiths that had the internal lock. It is easy to disable. Very god price on the gun. See what you can negotiate and snap it up.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The lock issue is supposed to be (rarely) on the lite-weight magnum calibers. However, I disable the lock on all of mine, lite-weight or full weight, don't matter, the lock is gone.
    Glock Certified Armorer

what exactly is the lock and how do you disable it?

So what are the advantages to having the lock and what do you lose by disabling it?

VIP Member
    The lock is a key operated device that moves a "flag" to block the hammer from moving. You disable it by removing the flag and an associated spring. The function is not a safety but a lock on the action of the gun.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Don't let the lock sway you, if you want it then buy it. You can easily remove the lock. There are various videos on the web to help you out.

PM BugDude, he removed the lock from his 442
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yea I just watched a video on it, I think I can handle it no problem. From the looks of it the lock is something you engage manually when you store it so it can't be fired correct?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    good price my dad paid
    $500 for the 6inch model 29 used
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Correct. I accidentally carried my 442 for days one time and then discovered it had been locked. I quit using the lock but then started having some trigger catch when rapid firing (would have to let off completely and re-pull the trigger). I removed the lock according to the video on youtube (super easy) and also replaced the factory springs with a wolff shooters pack while I was in there (also super easy). No more problems, no more worries, and a smooth trigger. Keep the flag and you can easily return it to factory spec if you ever want to.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Assuming it's not worn it's a good deal as otbers ha e said.

There's a guy on the S&W Forum who sells a plug that fills in the space left when the lock parts are removed. No hole or gap in the frame. The only S&W I own with a lock, a 610 N frame, had it removed before I bought it. I joined the S&W forum just to find that vendor and buy the plug.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links