Gun purchase dilema

Gun purchase dilema

This is a discussion on Gun purchase dilema within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here are my three choices.......Don't have much money this year to make a really expensive purchase this year. Police trade in G17. Gen 3. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun purchase dilema

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Gun purchase dilema

So here are my three choices.......Don't have much money this year to make a really expensive purchase this year.

Police trade in G17. Gen 3. Two magazines. Night sights. $370.

Police trade in G22. Gen 3. 3 magazines. Night sights. $350.

Ruger LCP New. $280.

I have and carry a G27 so having the G22 makes the most sense. However, I want the 9mm........

I threw the LCP into the mix because I sold my Kel-Tec to a friend that just started carrying. I miss having a light pocket auto to backup my G27.

Which one would you get and why. Don't tell me to get the G22 and get a Wolf barrel.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    I have what you said not to suggest. Sounds like you really want the G17 - go for it, you will like it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I guess I can't tell you my opinion; you already said not too.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So here are my three choices.......Don't have much money this year to make a really expensive purchase this year.

Police trade in G17. Gen 3. Two magazines. Night sights. $370.

Police trade in G22. Gen 3. 3 magazines. Night sights. $350.

Ruger LCP New. $280.

I have and carry a G27 so having the G22 makes the most sense. However, I want the 9mm........

I threw the LCP into the mix because I sold my Kel-Tec to a friend that just started carrying. I miss having a light pocket auto to backup my G27.

Which one would you get and why. Don't tell me to get the G22 and get a Wolf barrel.
    That depends, what is the purpose of the 22/17? What would be it's role? (home defense?)

If you already have a home defense pistol that fits its role how you want it to, then the 17/22 isn't higher in necessity (IMO, unless there is a different situation going on) than a pocket pistol/back-up gun.

If not, and you are wanting a 9mm because of costs, then get the 17. If it's just a variety deal, a 22 and 9mm conversion (later when you can afford it) isn't a bad idea.

The conversion is going to cut into the money that I was going to spend on getting a single stage reloader and some dies........

My primary home defense weapon is a short barrelled 870 loaded with 00 buck. However I keep my carry G27 loaded with a G22 mag on the nightstand in case I cannot get to the 870 which is a few more feet away. I would move the G17/22 into that role and get a weapon light for the rail to serve as the night stand gun. The idea is that if I can get to the 870 then my wife will transition to the handgun and call 911. She is not a fan of .40 recoil out of the G27. However she would shoot the 9mm and I would probably get her to the range more with a 9mm. She shoots .38 out of my K-frame M65 with no issues.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    If you truly want the 9mm Glock 17 then get it. But I see no reason for the 22 seeing how you can just put a 22 mag into your 27 for Home Defense...

If I were you I'd get the LCP like you said as a pocket gun for back up.

If the wife will shoot the Glock 17 at the range and for home defense. Maybe a Glock 26 or 19 so she could CC someday.

so edit... I would please the wife and not worry about a bug gun.. Does you wife CC? or is she planning to CC?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    The conversion is going to cut into the money that I was going to spend on getting a single stage reloader and some dies........

My primary home defense weapon is a short barrelled 870 loaded with 00 buck. However I keep my carry G27 loaded with a G22 mag on the nightstand in case I cannot get to the 870 which is a few more feet away. I would move the G17/22 into that role and get a weapon light for the rail to serve as the night stand gun. The idea is that if I can get to the 870 then my wife will transition to the handgun and call 911. She is not a fan of .40 recoil out of the G27. However she would shoot the 9mm and I would probably get her to the range more with a 9mm. She shoots .38 out of my K-frame M65 with no issues.
    Glock 17 is your answer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    If you truly want the 9mm Glock 17 then get it. But I see no reason for the 22 seeing how you can just put a 22 mag into your 27 for Home Defense...

If I were you I'd get the LCP like you said as a pocket gun for back up.

If the wife will shoot the Glock 17 at the range and for home defense. Maybe a Glock 26 or 19 so she could CC someday.

so edit... I would please the wife and not worry about a bug gun.. Does you wife CC? or is she planning to CC?
    No she doesn't carry. She might come around some day.

I would also shoot the G17 in IDPA as opposed to the G27.

I would also feel more comfortable reloading 9mm FMJ's in a Glock 17.

.40 reloads in a Glock.........not so much.

The Glock-17...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LCP ... or LC9... for a pocket carry and backup.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    17!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I think you answered your own question... G17
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

17!!

The more you reply to other's posts, it sounds like you'll end up with the 17!

G22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links