my thoughts on Kahr handguns - Page 2

my thoughts on Kahr handguns

This is a discussion on my thoughts on Kahr handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by crue2009 ... the thinness,weight and compactness are hard to beat..the DA only triggers are smooth as glass and of course the single ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: my thoughts on Kahr handguns

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    ... the thinness,weight and compactness are hard to beat..the DA only triggers are smooth as glass and of course the single stack magazines..i'm only giving my opinion from a design stand point for concealed carry.i'm not implying Kahr's are better,worse or more reliable then any other make or model.also,this is in regard to 9mm and larger for "concealed carry"..what's your opinion?
    I've had several Kahrs and currently have a couple. Of all the ones I have used, IMO the PM9 is hard to beat for ergonomics, utility as a small concealed pistol, accuracy for a micro pistol. I only had the one PM9, and it wasn't the most reliable unit ever built, so I can't say much about its reliability. The one I had was finicky with several different types of ammo. In my experience, I've found Kahrs to seemingly take a long, long time to break in. If starting out a bit finicky when a wide variety of ammo, none of them seem to quickly settle down and then operate perfectly.

A CW9 that I had until last year ran wonderfully well. A P380 that I've currently got started out fairly badly but is now running really well.

they [the PM9's] are small guns that can be slightly fickle with an inexperienced operator or with somebody who can't follow instructions.
    They can also be slightly fickle due to design, problems having nothing whatsoever to do with the operator or ability to read (ref. the admonition against slingshootting the slide, which has little to do with FTF or FTE when not slingshotting the slide).

If you haven't already tried one, check out Kahr's original, the K9 9mm. It's a 25oz all-steel pistol that has incredible ergonomics and feel. If you're looking for a pistol to carry IWB or OWB, it's an amazing pistol.

With the group of pistols that you've listed, be sure to consider the CZ 2075 RAMI as well. It, too, is an excellent design, built to be reliable, durable and accurate. I know several people who have the RAMI, and each loves it. I have shot one and also think very highly of them. For years, I owned a CZ P-01, a larger sibling of the RAMI. Exceptional pistol. Of all the handguns made on the market today, I think the CZ is one of the most under-rated. Worth considering.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Like many here, I am a fan of the PM9, as it really is a great size and weight of gun to carry in a pocket with a good pocket holster. And for a pocket gun, I think that a long DA pull like it has is about ideal for safety.

Other than it, though, I'm honestly not a big fan. Their metal frame models tend to be on the heavy side for this size. And the polymer models in .40 and .45 are rough on the hands recoil wise, in my opinion. The gun in 9mm is not so bad, however. I know that others don't mind the recoil of the bigger calibers in these polymer models, but I find it to be uncomfortable.

For holster carry, I like the Walther PPS a lot better. It conceals just as well in a IWB holster, and has better ergonomics. Definitely has superior workmanship and materials. And it does not chew up my hand like the polymer Kahr models do. Has a good striker type trigger, similar to what the Glock has. I really like the pull on both of my PPS pistols. And it disassembles real fast too. The takedown steps are identical to that of the Glock, allowing the gun to be broken down in a few seconds for cleaning.

More Kahr love...

Having tried almost everything in the gun store, my EDC is a Kahr P9. Dependable, accurate, thin, lightweight... If I knew of anything better, I would be carrying it.

All that said, on another forum, I saw enough comments by credible people who had had problems with Kahr pistols that I got a bit spooked. So, on the same forum, I started a thread asking whether Kahr pistols were generally problematical or the negative comments were just another example of any subject naturally getting more negative comments than positive. In that context, the positive swamped the negative.

There are undoubtedly some problem Kahr pistols, but a good one is a superb weapon for concealed carry.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I bought a P380 last Sept. because Kahr does make high-quality guns and the deal was too good to pass up. I had problems with the small Kahr, as others have, but I sent it back to Kahr and it's been fine since the return.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Kahr sometimes gets a bad rap due to the fact they are small guns that can be slightly fickle with an inexperienced operator or with somebody who can't follow instructions.
    Yeah, that's the reason behind the firing pin not striking the primer hard enough for it to go bang. I must have not been listening to instructions well. Haha! I'll try it again in a couple more years. That way, I may have some experience.

PM9: The Glock that Glock Doesn't Build.

I've bought three Kahrs in the past two months: CW9, PM9 and P380. Followed the prep and lube threads on kahrtalk.com and have had NO issues with any of the guns, so I'm still in the infatuation stage. The PM9 has replaced my G19 and G26 in carry rotation unless I venture into known hazardous areas where the additional capacity gives me false sense of security. The P380 is the softest shooting, most accurate, with better sights than any of the other .380s I've owned and I carry it when no other options work. Kahr seems to be moving toward offering more "entry-level" models like the CW9; their lower cost will bring in more converts. The 200 round break-in did not appear to be necessary after following the prep and lube noted above.

VIP Member
    with somebody who can't follow instructions.
    I've found this to be the case with most of the complaints I hear about (not many). I really like my CW9.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have carried a CW 40 for 2 years. Never had a problem with a 1000 or so rounds down range. For every day carry I don't think there is much that's easier to carry. It always gets me when I here guys complain about the recoil an how hard the little guns are on the hands. I always say if you want a range gun then get a full sized something. Kahr's and others in its class are made to carry and conceal easier then full sized weapons, they are not going to shoot the same, every thing has a trade off. Some guys just don't get it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsully View Post
    Yeah, that's the reason behind the firing pin not striking the primer hard enough for it to go bang. I must have not been listening to instructions well. Haha! I'll try it again in a couple more years. That way, I may have some experience.
    The key word in my post is sometimes. A light strike can be absolutely caused by operator error. While I don't want to say it happens often, it does happen with guns designed like the Kahrs due to their slightly different charging technique. More than likely since you were using a rental, (Used, abused, dirty and not cared for) the channel was fouled or the spring/striker was just plain old worn.
    Thanks for bolstering my theory.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Bought a PM9 a month ago, it has replaced my M&P 9c as my carry. It is much thinner and lighter, carries very nice IWB behind hip or appendix. 400 rounds downrange and not a single hiccup.

My Kahr PM9 has been in my carry rotation for the past 4-5 years. I have about 1,000 rounds through it and had no problems after the first 150 rounds. It's been very reliable and accurate since then.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

+1 on the Kahr Fit and Love... CW9 is a frequent flier on my CCW and at well over 1000 rounds has performed flawlessly.

My next gun will probably be a single stack 9 and Kahr is definitely on my list of choices.

I love my P9 and carry it more often tham my M&Pc. I probably have 4-500 rnds through it without a hiccup. And at the risk of being flamed... did not read the "instructions". There are instructions that come with this thing? lol

The key word in my post is sometimes. A light strike can be absolutely caused by operator error. While I don't want to say it happens often, it does happen with guns designed like the Kahrs due to their slightly different charging technique. More than likely since you were using a rental, (Used, abused, dirty and not cared for) the channel was fouled or the spring/striker was just plain old worn.
    Thanks for bolstering my theory.
    Haha! OK. You're telling me that if you experienced what I did the first time you shot a gun that you were considering carrying, you wouldn't have a bad taste in your mouth about it? That you would say, "Oh, well! it's probably just this one or myself (When this has never happened to you with a wide variety of other firearms, ever). I'll take two." I would imagine you wouldn't. It most likely was the fact that it was a range gun, but one thing I failed to mention was that the gun shop was trying to blame it on the primer. That wasn't the issue obviously and that probably added to my attitude toward Kahr. Maybe I did overlooked the "sometimes" but because I was pretty much the only one against Kahr, it sure seemed like you were pointing in my direction. Anyway, I still wouldn't pick one of these up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links