my thoughts on Kahr handguns

This is a discussion on my thoughts on Kahr handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting responses. I bought a PM9 several months ago on a whim. I've read all the nay-sayers and doom-predictors, etc., on other forums, and let's ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: my thoughts on Kahr handguns

Interesting responses.

I bought a PM9 several months ago on a whim. I've read all the nay-sayers and doom-predictors, etc., on other forums, and let's face it... not ALL of these folks are making this stuff up. Where there is THAT much smoke, there is fire.

But a pal has two, they run fine, and I was offered a heck of a deal on a NIB specimen. So I bought it.

I didn't read the steenkin' instructions either; cleaned and lubed it, and starting shooting it. It was 100% for about 250 rounds, then a defective cartridge case failed and trashed it... NOT the gun's fault. A really weird deal; I'd never seen a case blow out IN the extractor groove, but this one did. Blew the extractor/extractor parts out, along with the little panel on the right side of the pistol. I sent it back to Kahr, they fixed it without comment and had it back to me in ten days; their dime both ways. Can't beat that kind of service.

I have since put another 500+ rounds through it, mainly ball but over 100 mixed JHP "duty" rounds. Absolutely ZERO malfs or issues. I even tried to make it choke; one-handed, limp-wristed, upside down, you name it. Nope, steady reliability. Now I'm starting to get interested.

And then I notice, a few weeks ago while cleaning it, that the e-nickle or whatever the barrel is plated with, is beginning to flake off in the chamber and two places in the bore. Hmmm...

Anyway, I'm pondering what to do. I might could get them to spring for another call tag, and I'd get a new barrel. OTOH, I just wonder how bad, if at all, this flaking is going to affect things. I think I'll shoot it some more and see, since I've got a metric tonne of 9mm ammo laying around unused. I really have no immediate use for the little pistol, since I have other, trusted EDC pieces.

But this flaking business is a bit disturbing, to say the least. Bottom line, the jury is still out for me. I'll tell you one thing, though... the inherent accuracy of this little bugger is amazing.

2. Remove Ads

I hate to be "that guy", but I have had 3 of them and none of them worked. I am not thinking I will get another.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    I hate to be "that guy", but I have had 3 of them and none of them worked. I am not thinking I will get another.
    Whew! Glad I'm not the only 3-time loser when it comes to Kahr!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The key word in my post is sometimes. A light strike can be absolutely caused by operator error. While I don't want to say it happens often, it does happen with guns designed like the Kahrs due to their slightly different charging technique. More than likely since you were using a rental, (Used, abused, dirty and not cared for) the channel was fouled or the spring/striker was just plain old worn.
    Thanks for bolstering my theory.
    Exactly my thoughts. Having worked in gun shops that rented guns I can tell you if they get cleaned a few times a year they are lucky.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

GM
    I own a MK9 Elite and I shoot a PM9 very often; I think both of them are very good firearms. They shoot FMJ and HP ammo without any kind of problems. However, I do not think they are a good first-gun or appropriate for someone that prefers to follow its own path and do not like following instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    This one never fails...
    That Black Rose is a sweetie
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Whew! Glad I'm not the only 3-time loser when it comes to Kahr!
    Once was enough for me.. had a CW40 that never ran right..3 times to kahr and I got rid of it. The PT140 (which is now gone) while a horrible thing to shoot was light years ahead in reliability.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

MY CW40 went back to Kahr twice and was still unreliable. Sold it (with full disclosure to the buyer).

I may give Kahr a second chance, the positives on the CW40 really appealed to me (ergonomics, trigger, accuracy) I'm considering the K-40. It'll either be that or a G-27. I would really like a single stack that I can trust.

Administrator
    The poly 40's are the worst Kahrs, I think that is where a lot of their bad experiences come from too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I may be asking for trouble, but I just scored a NIB P45; another one of those brother-in-law deals that I couldn't pass up. Shot one belonging to the same pal with the PM9s, and liked it.

I said I had no immediate use for my PM9... but this P45 I could "put to work" right away. Got her cleaned and lubed last night, and I have plenty of UMC ball at hand for break-in. We'll start that process this week.

These Kahrs bring quite a bit to the concealed carry table. The functioning problems so many report are a bit mystifying, since there isn't much to these things, if you look at them closely. But as I said earlier, there is simply too much smoke about this for there not to be a fire someplace. And not all of the folks with trouble can be nimrods who don't know how to handle a handgun.

Anyway... we'll see. The PM9 is still running 100%, despite the surface deterioration (or whatever it is) in the bore and chamber. Hopefully this P45 will be equally reliable...

Like one of the other posters I have tried many of the guns at my two local gun stores plus several bought online for a total of 16 different carry guns in 7 months. I had many Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, Ruger, Springfield, Kimber, Browning, CZ, Kelt-tec, etc. Pretty much most of the talked about carry guns. What did I end up with? My main EDC is a Kahr PM9 and my bigger caliber ccw gun is a Kahr P40.

I too read all the negative reviews on Kahr guns so the first one I purchased was a used P40 that was known to be reliabile. Still no problem after another few hundred runs. The ease of carry and accuracy convinced me to give a new PM9 a try. So far after 250 rounds the only problem I had was one round did not fire the first time. Reset the trigger and it went bang the second time. This gun is even easier and more comfortable to carry than the P40 although I find it too uncomfortable for pocket carry compared to my Seecamp.

Just as a general statement after 40+ years of shooting and buying guns. For every gun you will find people who have had problems with it and those who love it. For many guns that someone has a problem with, another shooter will not have the same problems when they shoot it. I have personally been on both ends of that. :) It is also impossible to judge if a gun is truly bad based on number of negative posts without knowing how many were sold versus how many were defective. The more sold, the higher the number of defective guns even if the defect rate is very low compared to another gun.

I have a CW9 that is flawless after 300+ rounds. Very accurate, and fits my small male hands perfect. Now, I am on a Kali 10 day cool off on a Kahr P380. Cant wait!!
    roger

I bought a PM9 about 4 years ago. Had a few jams in the first 100 rounds, but zero failures since, with about 1,000 rounds through it. It was a little too small for my fat hands though. It is now my wife's favorite carry gun, and fits her small hands perfectly. I handled a P45 at my local gun shop and it fit my hand perfectly. Bought it and had many jams through the first 300 rounds. Sent it back to Kahr (on their dime both ways), and have had zero problems since, with around 2,000 rounds since it came back, mostly HP's.

My opinion: Excellent for it's designed purpose, concealed carry. Thin, light and accurate. I read about all the problems some people have had with them, but I also realize that the people who have problems are more likely to talk about it on the forums than the ones who's guns operate just fine. My P45 is my EDC 90% of the time now. I would not hesitate to buy another Kahr.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

For what it is worth My .02 I owned a cw9. A couple of things bother me about it. The frame is fairly flemsy. Lot of wiggle and play in the frame. HP's don't feed very well and it is next to impossible to slingshot the slide and chamber a bullet. The gun ran ok - recoil was ok but was never comfortable getting that first round into the chamber. I also noticed a bit of polymer shavings with every cleaning. I just purchased a Taurus PT709. Despite it being a Taurus which i know some despise - the frame is much thicker and sturdier - much like a cz polymer. It loads flawlessly and feeds everything i have feed it so far - Only 250 rounds as i just got it Monday but so far so good - I found the recoil to be even less than the Kahr - the accuracy as good or better and follow up shots are much quicker with the SA action of the Taurus. I also like the solid metal frame rails on the Taurus as compared to the Kahr. My .02!
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    Like one of the other posters I have tried many of the guns at my two local gun stores plus several bought online for a total of 16 different carry guns in 7 months. I had many Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, Ruger, Springfield, Kimber, Browning, CZ, Kelt-tec, etc. Pretty much most of the talked about carry guns. What did I end up with? My main EDC is a Kahr PM9 and my bigger caliber ccw gun is a Kahr P40.

I too read all the negative reviews on Kahr guns so the first one I purchased was a used P40 that was known to be reliabile. Still no problem after another few hundred runs. The ease of carry and accuracy convinced me to give a new PM9 a try. So far after 250 rounds the only problem I had was one round did not fire the first time. Reset the trigger and it went bang the second time. This gun is even easier and more comfortable to carry than the P40 although I find it too uncomfortable for pocket carry compared to my Seecamp.

Just as a general statement after 40+ years of shooting and buying guns. For every gun you will find people who have had problems with it and those who love it. For many guns that someone has a problem with, another shooter will not have the same problems when they shoot it. I have personally been on both ends of that. :) It is also impossible to judge if a gun is truly bad based on number of negative posts without knowing how many were sold versus how many were defective. The more sold, the higher the number of defective guns even if the defect rate is very low compared to another gun.

Well stated, and I completely agree.

Welcome to DC BTW.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

As a happy CW9 owner I agree with gottabkiddin somewhere in Georgia @ 3346'18.21"N 8423'21.87"W! I have had a very similar experience to the post GunByte posted. I have trimmed my carry pistol family down to a carefully chosen few. BHP, XD9s, P32, and the Kahr CW9. The CW9 is carried every day!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links