my thoughts on Kahr handguns

This is a discussion on my thoughts on Kahr handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have a PM9 now for a couple months and about 300 rds. No problems so long as I keep the striker channel blown out. Nice ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: my thoughts on Kahr handguns

gig
    Have a PM9 now for a couple months and about 300 rds. No problems so long as I keep the striker channel blown out.
    Nice of Kahr to make the "blow-hole" so the striker does not have to be disasembled to clean. For some reason there always seems to be more small copper flakes in there than in the channels of other guns, perhaps not cleaning the channel might have something to do with FTF.

Sent the 7 rd mag back to Kahr for exchange for a second 6 rd, got a set of pinky extensions from Pierce (they come in pairs), added a CT laser and tube grip cushion. Very happy with the complete set-up.

2. Remove Ads

RE the P45... so far, so good. After 250 rounds of factory ball for "break-in", I started trying various reloads.

It doesn't like SWC bullets, probably due to the acute feed ramp angle. But it feeds factory JHP (SXT & HST) flawlessly, and gobbled up ALL the different reloads I tried with 230 FMJ ball bullets... including some very light ones that are downright pleasant to shoot. The only malfs were with some H&G #68 cast bullets; those hung up on the feed ramp about half the time, even some that were loaded flush with the first driving band (IOW, as deep as you can get them seated).

Yeah, yeah, I know; you're not supposed to shoot lead bullets in a polygonal bore. Trust me; it isn't that big of deal... as long as you pay attention.

Tonight, I made myself a flush-fitting magazine, by modifying a Colt Officer's Model magazine and replacing the follower and spring with the Kahr six round mag follower and spring. You have to trim the mag, forward of the feed lips, down a bit; this modification is detailed on the Kahr Forum. Its very simple to do, but ya gotta pay attention when whittling on the Colt magazine.

It cycles dummy rounds perfectly, and the slide lock is functional. Hopefully it will shoot that reliably...

Quote Originally Posted by Dsully View Post
    Yeah, that's the reason behind the firing pin not striking the primer hard enough for it to go bang. I must have not been listening to instructions well. Haha! I'll try it again in a couple more years. That way, I may have some experience.
    That's childish. Kahrs can and do have problems with certain makes of ammo -- many other high quality guns do also. I own 2 expensive Wilson Combat guns and Wilson will tell you straight up that certain makes of ammo may not work well with their guns. So just because a round didn't fire in your Kahr but did in another weapon is not an indictment of Kahr. I have around 600 rounds of various ammo through my CW9 and the ONLY one it had problems with was Hornady's Critical Defense. All other ammo is perfect. Am I going to bash Kahr because of that? Of course not. I just simply won't use Hornady Critical Defense and carry a proven reliable round for SD -- Gold Dot 124gr.

Quote Originally Posted by jbr View Post
    For what it is worth My .02 I owned a cw9. A couple of things bother me about it. The frame is fairly flemsy. Lot of wiggle and play in the frame. HP's don't feed very well and it is next to impossible to slingshot the slide and chamber a bullet. The gun ran ok - recoil was ok but was never comfortable getting that first round into the chamber. I also noticed a bit of polymer shavings with every cleaning. I just purchased a Taurus PT709. Despite it being a Taurus which i know some despise - the frame is much thicker and sturdier - much like a cz polymer. It loads flawlessly and feeds everything i have feed it so far - Only 250 rounds as i just got it Monday but so far so good - I found the recoil to be even less than the Kahr - the accuracy as good or better and follow up shots are much quicker with the SA action of the Taurus. I also like the solid metal frame rails on the Taurus as compared to the Kahr. My .02!
    Well, once again we have a dissatisfied Kahr shooter that didn't bother to read the instructions. Kahr clearly states that the ONLY proper way to chamber a round is to lock the slide back, insert the magazine and release the slide stop. Mine has NEVER failed to properly chamber a round doing it the right way.

gig
    I have a PM9 and admittedly the slide is stiff. One complaint I have is that my wife just cannot run the gun.

IMO the problem is that when a round is chambered from the closed position, sometimes the operator does not get the slide pulled back all the way and this is why Kahr rec locking it back and then using the release.

I am left handed so the slide release is not as handy so I run the gun just like I run other semi's. With the slide locked back, I pull the slide back to release the lock and then let it fly.

As yet, have had no problems because by starting from the locked back position rather than the closed position I am assured that the slide is back far enough to do its job.

CW9 is a great choice for carry

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I absolutely love the steel Kahrs. I have not had much luck with the polymer versions. Some people think the weight of the K9 and MK9 are not worth the trade off. A good belt and holster negates the weight issue and they retain their very small size for concealment. I find the weight helps with accurate and plesant shooting. Just my .02.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

As I've written elsewhere, I currently own 5 Kahrs, and have owned others in the past. None of mine have ever malfed, even during the "200 round break-in period." I have an "NYPD" stainless K-9, a P-9, a PM-9, a Wilson Combat K-40 and an MK-40. The three others (all blued K-9s) I've owned and sold were not ones that had any problems, they were simply ones that someone else needed worse than I did at the time. I've not owned any of the CW series, since I think they represent false economy, but I know several other folks who have CWs and love them. If I were going to shoot many cast bullet loads in Kahrs, I'd opt for CWs, but since they come with only one magazine and the front sight is not dovetailed, and I don't shoot many cast bullets in 9x19 or .40, they're not for me.

The issue with dropping the slide off the slide stop vs. racking the slide for chambering a round amuses me. Done correctly, the slide travels farther when racked to the rear than it does when dropped off the stop, so it actually should run forward faster that way. Kahr recommends dropping it off the stop because folks can't seem to avoid a sort of "reverse limp wrist" when chambering a round by racking the slide. It's all about technique.

P7
    I've had six Kahrs over the years and currently own two. The only one I've had significant problems with was my P380. After two trips to Kahr and 1400 rounds, it was still unreliable. Sold it. My K9 Elite(400+ rounds) and PM9(600-700) rounds have never missed a beat with a wide variety of ammo. Owners over at kahrtalk.com generally report Kahrs are not ammo sensitive. My experience is that they are reliable, accurate and have great triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    The issue with dropping the slide off the slide stop vs. racking the slide for chambering a round amuses me. Done correctly, the slide travels farther when racked to the rear than it does when dropped off the stop, so it actually should run forward faster that way. Kahr recommends dropping it off the stop because folks can't seem to avoid a sort of "reverse limp wrist" when chambering a round by racking the slide. It's all about technique.
    I agree with this 100%. I don't ever worry about whether I chamber a round via the slide stop or by the usual slide rack. If done properly either method will properly chamber a round and it will reliably fire. I have never had a single issue with my Kahr.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I carry a PM9 every day, love that gun.
    surefire7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I agree with this 100%. I don't ever worry about whether I chamber a round via the slide stop or by the usual slide rack. If done properly either method will properly chamber a round and it will reliably fire. I have never had a single issue with my Kahr.
    Weird coincidence. Today when I went to holster up and load the gun I racked the slide normally and had a nose-down jam. Tried it again, same thing. Tried a third time using the slide stop and it chambered properly. Guess I'll be following the instructions from now on.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Ive only seen a few comments on the mk9 so I want to chime in and say that my stainless mk9 is fantastic. It had a few FTE issues in the first 100 or 200 rounds, since then it has fired about 1500 more rounds of whatever kind of 9mm is on sale and cheap and it always works great. It is a little heavy to carry if you are into pocket holsters like I am, but it is a great gun.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I slingshot my Kahrs and have never had a problem. Personally I think they're one of the best concealed carry guns on the market but if I were to try and get picky, I'd say they're a bit expensive and the mags can be very hard to load. And the top round in the mags (spare) wants to work it's way out a bit if you carry it aroung long enough.

My P9 was my 2nd auto gun ever and has never every had a malfunction with any kind of ammo. My K9 is just as reliable. I have had a jam on my MK9 but it was due to a specific brand of hollow points from Georgia Arms, with any other HP's never a problem. By the way, I had problems in an officre's 1911 with those similar styled HP's from Georgia Arms. Not bashing them, I buy a lot of their ammo and it's good stuff but this one bullet is too flat I think.

A simple general truth I believe is you can never convince anyone of anything on the internet. Guns are too personal and there's a lot of bias tied up in it as well. Kahr's are flat, skinny, best sights, best trigger, compact, etc, and are generally very reliable. Like any gun you'll always hear of one that was a dog. I've heard of lemon Glocks and I've had to send a Ruger SP101 back after if locked up during the first range trip.

It's all good. Good think is most company's do a good job of getting them right. The only gun I ever had that i couldn't get right was an old 1st generation Keltec P3AT. 2 trips back to home, a fluff and buff, and FMJ and it still was never reliable. Bought a 2nd Gen P3AT and after one trip home it was completely reliable, even with HP.

I'm especially fond of the K9. I think it's one of the best shooting guns out there.

And as for weight, if you look at the numbers and compare the K9 to any 1911 or a lot of other guns out there it's no heavier and is in fact lighter than most of them. Due to the compact size, the weight is all concentrated in a small area and they're perceived as being heavier than they are. I for one love the weight of the K9 because it makes is pure pleasure to shoot!

Gideon

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links