Questions about a 1911 for sale

This is a discussion on Questions about a 1911 for sale within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The father of a friend of mine has gotten up in years and has quite a few handguns that he's considering selling. My friend isn't ...

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

The father of a friend of mine has gotten up in years and has quite a few handguns that he's considering selling. My friend isn't really into pistols and let me know his dad was thinking about parting with some of them. One is a 1911 issued in 1944 as his personal sidearm when he served in the navy in WWII. Any idea what is is worth? Or, how would I find out?
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    The father of a friend of mine has gotten up in years and has quite a few handguns that he's considering selling. My friend isn't really into pistols and let me know his dad was thinking about parting with some of them. One is a 1911 issued in 1944 as his personal sidearm when he served in the navy in WWII. Any idea what is is worth? Or, how would I find out?
    Speaking as a Veteran myself.......

Since the son doesn't want the weapon his FATHER carried in War perhaps the old gentleman should Donate it to the NRA or other Arms Museum.

If he really needs money perhaps his SON could pay back some of the ROOM AND BOARD he got free before he grew up to be a JERK.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Administrator
    Post nice quality, crisp photos & we have some members that can give you a pretty close ballpark valuation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

To their family, it SHOULD be priceless! My grandpas .45 and german luger he "liberated" from an enemy position that his tank knocked out will remain in my family forever. Its like selling a medal!

On the other hand, my grandpa never really liked the guns or talked about the war. It brought back to much pain. This may be the situation here.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I think those should stay in the family, myself, at least the GI 1911.

If it's beat to heck and gone, it's still probably worth at least $800 on the lowest of low sides.

A lot depends on the finish and the maker. If it's one of the more common Remington Rand guns and it's beaten up, it'll be on the low side. If it's in great condition and you have a Singer gun, the sky's the limit.
    Hakkaa päälle!

As a guy who grew up never knowing his father, I'd give almost anything to have the service weapon he carried during WW2 (.38spl). Even if you're not "into" guns, this is a family heirloom. If all else fails. I'll make room for it above my mantle
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I guess there was a misunderstanding. Originally, my friend told me his father had a 1911 and "a bunch" of pistols that he may want to sell. Evidently he as not referring to the 1911 as one of the "potential" items for sale.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Links