No more Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition for me.

This is a discussion on No more Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition for me. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never had this to happen before, maybe someone can tell me what this was. Driving by the gravel pit, so I took my Sig P238 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Never had this to happen before, maybe someone can tell me what this was. Driving by the gravel pit, so I took my Sig P238 out to get rid of some ammo that it doesn't like. It will fire everything but Hornady Critical Defense Ammo. Loaded a mag and fired first 4 and the 5th was FTE. I cleared the round, fired the next and it sounded like a cap pistol. It fired the rd but it was what I would call a squib....or something. Also, FTE....cleared it and finished the mag. Loaded a mag of cor bon and rapid fire went through the mag like clock work.

What was that little pop from that Hornady rd, bat man

You ever have a factory rd do that?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Just curious, but were the round ever left in a hot car, etc? I've read on other forums that can play havoc with the powder, no personal experience there.

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoAg96 View Post
    Just curious, but were the round ever left in a hot car, etc? I've read on other forums that can play havoc with the powder, no personal experience there.
    Took the rds outa my safe before driving 12 miles. About 65 F outside and in car.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Is it a moisture resistant safe?

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post

... 5th was FTE ... fired the next and it sounded like a cap pistol ... FTE.
    Would I skip an entire product due to two rounds failing? Probably not, though I guess it would also depend on what else I had heard from dozens of others regarding their experience with that specific round in that gun.

It's hard to know what a sound equates to ... a legitimate squib (despite it not having jammed up the barrel); an exceedingly weak cartridge (despite not knowing to what degree its trajectory was fouled, if any); or some other cause? If the "soft" sound resulted in a jammed-up barrel, then I would certainly believe that one round had been poorly loaded. If it also failed to extract, it might well have had damage to the case before having been fired. Could have had fouled powder, a weak primer. Hard to know. You had two cartridges fail to extract. Heck, I've had scores of cartridges in certain pistols misbehave with FTF or FTE, early on in the break-in stages, particularly when I was attempting to take a newer, fairly tight-fitting pistol and determine which rounds it cycled most reliably.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    You should call Hornady ASAP about this on their 800 number, and report these two bad rounds. Give them the lot number off of the box, so they can then investigate.

Perhaps a recall of this lot would be in order. So do give them a call and let them know what happened. Their phone lines are open 8am to 5pm, Central time zone.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you had a squib load. If it ever happens again, be sure to check your barrel for an obstruction. Results can be horrific if you cleared the gun, fired the next round with a bullet already lodged in the barrel.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by trev869 View Post
    Is it a moisture resistant safe?
    Yep....

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I had a problem with Hornaday ammo once. I shot 10 rounds out of my 500 only to find that 7 of the ten were loaded to hot and they blew the primers and stuck in the cylinder. I punched the emptys out and called and they had me send the hole box back. The Tech from hornaday called me and told me that those rounds are supposed to be at 60,000 psi but they were at 66,000 psi. He assured me that, that isn't enough to damage the gun but it was still there error and they would be sending me a couple of replacement boxes to make up for it. They have a very good customer service department.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

This is an excellent opportunity to move on to ammo with better terminal performance than CD. I would suggest buying a few boxes of HST, Ranger-T or PDX1, and Speer Gold Dot, seeing which load your gun runs best, then buy a 1000 rd case and stop worrying about it.

Corbon DPX or Powr' Ball.

'Nuff said.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    You should call Hornady ASAP about this on their 800 number, and report these two bad rounds. Give them the lot number off of the box, so they can then investigate.

Perhaps a recall of this lot would be in order. So do give them a call and let them know what happened. Their phone lines are open 8am to 5pm, Central time zone.
    +1

Give Hornady a call.

IIRC, this has happened quite a bit with their Critical Defense ammo. I remember a thread about it at ar15.com, I think.

I'll try to find it and provide a link...

Here it is, but I had the wrong forum.

Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    +1

Give Hornady a call.

IIRC, this has happened quite a bit with their Critical Defense ammo. I remember a thread about it at ar15.com, I think.

I'll try to find it and provide a link...

Here it is, but I had the wrong forum.

Problems with Hornady Critical Defense?

Yes, do give them a call. After all, their phone number is toll free: 1-800-338-3220

By any chance, were the primers silver or gold? I think I read somewhere that Hornady changed to the gold primers because they were having problems with the original silver ones. I could be wrong but I think that was an issue before the change. Just a thought

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I started to get some of that the other day too. Glad I got the Golden Saber instead.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links