Gonna get a new carry gun - Page 2

Gonna get a new carry gun

This is a discussion on Gonna get a new carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pyrochad There's no chance that I will EVER buy a Glock but thanks for the info I'm surprised that there were no ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna get a new carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochad View Post
    There's no chance that I will EVER buy a Glock but thanks for the info
    I'm surprised that there were no attacks over this comment. Seems like nearly everyone on here has at least 3 Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The SP101 is as rugged as a tank, but you're giving up several rounds for lighter weight and not much, if any, real reduction in bulk.

Why not consider an XD subcompact in .40? Same platform, 1 oz lighter then the SP101, and 9+1 capacity.
    I have both the XD40sc and the SP101 .357. I love them both, and you can't go wrong with either. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the XD40, not the sub-compact model (or similar sized XDm). I was in a sub compact mode for a while and have now been carrying larger handguns...and liking it. The XDm they have in 4 inch and 3.8 inch barrels.

I have no concerns over a 5 shot snub revolver. The SP101 is more reliable and durable than a tank and I have become very proficient and accurate with mine (2.25" bbl). 99.999% of any potential SD situations 5 shots of .357 Mag will be plenty. I carry my SP101 a lot, but I also practice with snubnosed revolvers A LOT too. Considering the .357 Mag round, the extra weight really helps with recoil and controlability and is negligible to me when carrying.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    There's no chance that I will EVER buy a Glock but thanks for the info
    Why???
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Try a Glock, you wont be diapappointed....just do it then give more feed back.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would get the XDsc in .40 S&W since you already own an XD 45. Stick with the same platform.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Why???
    In the experience I have had with Glocks is nothing but trouble and I will never own one but I think everyone has a gun manufacture that they don't like and it just so happens that mine is Glock

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    In the experience I have had with Glocks is nothing but trouble and I will never own one but I think everyone has a gun manufacture that they don't like and it just so happens that mine is Glock
    fair enough, I started off with a bad love hate relationship with them myself. I bought and sold many before giving them enough range time to get used to them and how you have to hold and fire them. Now I have a lot of them. Good luck on your search.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

If you've tried the SP101 and like it, go for it. That's the easy way to do it. But...

Do you have any other wheelguns? Are you used to the difference in balance, trigger pull, reloading, etc?
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Altac6 View Post
    If you've tried the SP101 and like it, go for it. That's the easy way to do it. But...

Do you have any other wheelguns? Are you used to the difference in balance, trigger pull, reloading, etc?
    Yea I currently own a 45 long colt a 30 carbine a 41mag and a 22 all Rugers and I am a way better shooter with wheel guns

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I have started carrying my XD 40 Service model (4"). It feels somewhat large, but I am new to carrying. I'm not sure how it conceals compared to the tactical model. I think I will be used to carrying it, soon. Maybe you should take a look at the 4" xd line, since you like your tactical model so much. Personally, I didn't want to carry a gun with a grip that was too small. I wanted a middle of the road type of gun. I wanted it as big as I could get it for a comfortable hold and stable aim, but I wanted it small enough to conceal and be comfortable. Hopefully I have made the right choice. I am 5'11" and about 170lbs - average build. I am also breaking in my new crossbreed holster. I just got it last week, so it is pretty stiff right now. I need a gun belt, but now that I have a decent holster, I could definitely see myself carrying this gun on a daily basis.

Does anyone out there have anything good or bad to say about the Beretta PX4 storm???
    I own an XD 45 5 inch and a PX4 40 and PX4 Subcompact in 9. I prefer the berettas over the XD series. My little subcompact PX4 has around 4000 rounds in it and it has yet to fail. It is my carry gun.

Yea, they're unreliable, always malfunctioning, they don't last very long. I can understand why you wouldn't carry one of those. I much prefer a Croation knock off. LOL. What a mommalucca.

TDL

Best carry gun

Dont forget SIG!! My P238 carry is hands down the top .380 carry out there. I have tried to make it fail and it keeps on going, any ammo brand etc.. I would love to carry a glock, but lets face it, they get in the way sometimes. The P238 I can put in my back pocket. Very low recoil and deadly accurate out of the box! My young daughter loves it and so do I. I have big hands but somehow the little 1911 'knock off' fits me perfect especially with the extended magazine. The bad guys would never see what hit 'em.. Just my two cents...

Smith 640-1 for an all steel 357. Smith 340 M&P or 340 PD for a lightweight 357

You dont like Glocks which is your priviledge. Take a look at what SIG has in your price range, look at maybe the M&P .45 Compact from Smith and Wesson. There are many solid options out there you probably need to hit the range and shoot a bunch of different weapons.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links