Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video - Page 2

Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

This is a discussion on Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder why the Sheriff contacted all of the local news media to announce this? Does he perhaps believe that taking this step that saved ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I wonder why the Sheriff contacted all of the local news media to announce this? Does he perhaps believe that taking this step that saved taxpayer dollars will gain him favor among voters? He really went out of his way to publicize this deal.

This news story at the link below explains that no tax dollars were spent. Money to pay for the new belts, holsters, and other accessories came from a variety of sources, including funds seized from criminals. Apparently the Sheriff really likes the belt and holster that S&W is selling, and that helped sway him in favor of this deal.

Linn County sheriff switches to American-made handguns

Here are some photos of the Sheriff showing off the new S&W M&P pistols to the media:

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    One of our local Sheriff's Departments just announced that they are switching from Glocks to S&W M&P pistols. Smith and Wesson continues to offer police agencies sweetheart deals on the M&P handguns. The only payment that the department has to make for the guns is to turn in their old used Glocks in trade.

The department is paying for accessories such as belts and holsters, that they are also getting from S&W to use with their new M&P handguns, as well as for some training. But the guns themselves are coming at no cost to the department. How is it that S&W can afford to do this with so many agencies???

Here is a link to a full news report about the switchover, including a video interview with the Sheriff:

New Handguns for the Linn County Sheriff's Department | KEZI

Patrol officers are being issued the full size M&P 40, while plainclothes officers are getting the compact M&P 40c

No wonder there are so many used Glock Law Enforcement guns available on the market.

This is the same tactic that Glock has used the last 20 years. You can't tell me they didn't give away pistols to switch agencies from the old S&W's they were carrying back in the day. WA State recently did the same thing. It's a fact wether folks like it or not, M&P's are gaining major market share and are here to stay.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If they have a fully supported chamber that may be one reason,I was at the range Sunday when a friend was shooting a G23,I heard him yell and asked what was up,he had a case blow out around the base into the magwell,he had some blackened powder residue on his hands and it blew the mag outta his gun .He said hes sending all his 40's in to get Barsto barrels installed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This is the same tactic that Glock has used the last 20 years. You can't tell me they didn't give away pistols to switch agencies from the old S&W's they were carrying back in the day. WA State recently did the same thing. It's a fact wether folks like it or not, M&P's are gaining major market share and are here to stay.
    Yeah, Glock just gave the FHP new .45 gap pistols for trading in their .40 Beretta's.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This is the same tactic that Glock has used the last 20 years. You can't tell me they didn't give away pistols to switch agencies from the old S&W's they were carrying back in the day.
    You know, that is a very good point to observe. Smith and Wesson is probably turning the tables on Glock now, and using the very same marketing tactics against them that Glock successfully employed against them in the past.

Perhaps this could be a case of "what goes around, comes around."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Wow, he's a Three Star Sheriff!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Yeah, Glock just gave the FHP new .45 gap pistols for trading in their .40 Beretta's.

I feel sorry for Beretta. It seems like all of their Law Enforcement agencies are dumping them.

The Beretta 96 just cannot seem to compete anymore with the more modern competitive designs. And their newer PX4 model is not going over well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I have nothing against Glocks ( I do own ONE ) but everyone doesn't like them or shoot them well.

They are NOT "Magical"
    Uh Oh, you weren't supposed to let that cat out of the bag!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I wonder why the Sheriff contacted all of the local news media to announce this? Does he perhaps believe that taking this step that saved taxpayer dollars will gain him favor among voters? He really went out of his way to publicize this deal.

This news story at the link below explains that no tax dollars were spent. Money to pay for the new belts, holsters, and other accessories came from a variety of sources, including funds seized from criminals. Apparently the Sheriff really likes the belt and holster that S&W is selling, and that helped sway him in favor of this deal.

Here are some photos of the Sheriff showing off the new S&W M&P pistols to the media:

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner!!!

someone should tell them about apex :D

Is it also possible that S&W is requiring some sort of public announcement when they offer this deal?

At least the media outlet was ignorant enough about guns they weren't freaked out about the guy waving around guns without the actions open.

Doesn't anyone have any gun etiquette anymore?

I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Well if S&W sold ammo, I would say maybe it's the same marketing scheme that printer manufacturers use, give the printer away for free (with a new computer) because they know you will be buying their over priced ink for the next 5 years.

As it is, I suppose they are hoping the word of mouth advertising is worth more than the guns they give out, plus they now have a lot of hardly ever used Glock to sell!

This is why people are fed up. Agencies spending unneeded funds to buy new weapon systems they don't really need.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This is why people are fed up. Agencies spending unneeded funds to buy new weapon systems they don't really need.
    What "funds"??

FREE guns and all you need to do is buy the holsters?? If anything as a Tax Payer id be THANKING him for getting/finding such a good deal...Free Guns all you do is pay for Holsters for the guns....and thats bad??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links